UCF- why not national champs?

Orlando Tim

I keep hearing strength of schedule but is there anything else that you can argue for keeping them out of top 4? SOS is the argument made by people whose main desire is too keep the big five in control. Truly that argument is built by people who simply do not want to actually work to check out all the true contenders.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:04 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

I keep hearing strength of schedule but is there anything else that you can argue for keeping them out of top 4? SOS is the argument made by people whose main desire is too keep the big five in control. Truly that argument is built by people who simply do not want to actually work to check out all the true contenders.

UCF is a top 4 cupcake. Probably number 1.

Not sure what you are arguing about.

5 hours ago, Bfanlc said:

Upgrade for their schedule?

Well, the did play South Carolina ..........

State ...

Bulldogs.

On 12/22/2018 at 1:49 AM, Bfanlc said:

Do you have a good argument, besides them being undefeated against said wuss schedule, for them to be in the playoff?

You mean besides winning 25 in a row, a top 20 offense and defense, also Oklahoma has exactly one impressive win- WVU- and a loss. But generally someone has to actually lose before you have proof they should not be champs. But i appreciate you admitting that i am right.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:17 PM, YoloinOhio said:

If it expands to 8 they would have a chance but right now there aren’t even enough spots for all the power 5 champs. 

This is a reasonable argument but still keeps a team with 25 game win streak out of final four with a team with a loss in. I think that is unfair.

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You mean besides winning 25 in a row, a top 20 offense and defense, also Oklahoma has exactly one impressive win- WVU- and a loss. But generally someone has to actually lose before you have proof they should not be champs. But i appreciate you admitting that i am right.

Must be a female for you to get that in any way was a sign of you being right.

And that's a top 20 offense and def against that schedule??? Lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Because we don't have a national championship in college football.   We have an invitation-only TV-money driven tournament where only a handful of teams are eligible to qualify.

I don’t even have a millionth of one percent of doubt that the best team in the country is in the playoff each year

And I would like to nurse and fester such a thought that it’s a farce....

5 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This is a reasonable argument but still keeps a team with 25 game win streak out of final four with a team with a loss in. I think that is unfair.

Well then critical thinking isnt your forte. I'd like to see them in it, but the conference is awful and they dont schedule Jack ***** out of conference either. 

You do know that whole stuff with the Gators right? They're refusing to play them. UCF was cool, they jumped the shark. They are undeserved arrogance and just want big pay checks. They're brand building right now, it wont work.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:51 AM, Cynical said:

UCF is a top 4 cupcake. Probably number 1.

Not sure what you are arguing about.

Well, the did play South Carolina ..........

State ...

Bulldogs.

He clearly has no clue what he is talking about. It's a cool story, but they dont want that business and they know it. They're feeding off of the punching up vs teams inactive bowl game vs a team that actually had a chance at the playoffs and blew it and are completely deflated.

They can get in the playoffs. It's actually really easy. Go to the swamp, go to to FSU, and go to Miami. Those teams weren't even that good this year, they could beat them. But they are embracing this Napoleon complex way too much and telling teams to come to them.

They'll be a 5-7 win team with a crap schedule within 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Well then critical thinking isnt your forte. I'd like to see them in it, but the conference is awful and they dont schedule Jack ***** out of conference either. 

You do know that whole stuff with the Gators right? They're refusing to play them. UCF was cool, they jumped the shark. They are undeserved arrogance and just want big pay checks. They're brand building right now, it wont work.

He clearly has no clue what he is talking about. It's a cool story, but they dont want that business and they know it. They're feeding off of the punching up vs teams inactive bowl game vs a team that actually had a chance at the playoffs and blew it and are completely deflated.

They can get in the playoffs. It's actually really easy. Go to the swamp, go to to FSU, and go to Miami. Those teams weren't even that good this year, they could beat them. But they are embracing this Napoleon complex way too much and telling teams to come to them.

Pretty much.

UCF is pulling the same stunt Boise St did.

Look at us! Look at us! We are the shining new object!

In the end, they just want the money the exposure gives them.

They could care less about "respect" and "fairness".

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

Pretty much.

UCF is pulling the same stunt Boise St did.

Look at us! Look at us! We are the shining new object!

In the end, they just want the money the exposure gives them.

They could care less about "respect" and "fairness".

Boise made a legit run, thank goodness their kicker choked three times to keep them out

16 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I would like to see an 8 team playoff with the five Power 5 champs, 2 at-large Power 5s and the highest ranked non-power 5. Top two ranked teams get 1st rd byes. 

Ive heard the non power 5 being included in a top 4 discussed a bit. The issue many point to is that while you might see one upset in a bowl  (I.e. Boise st over Oklahoma several years ago), that’s very difficult to replicate. And it’s not a one game tournament. Teams like UCF, despite their great run, still have less talent and depth and a different level of coaching staff than highly ranked power 5 teams. Unlike basketball where teams can just get hot and be a Cinderella, in football you would be very rare to see a team like that beat, say, Oklahoma and Bama in succession. What is UCF’s best win this season? Also keep in mind the win streak is great,  but the 2018 playoff is about this season only. 

At the end of the day the committee wants the 4 best teams. They do not want blowouts. And the top 3 are all undefeated, same as UCF. With Oklahoma, they have the heisman winner at QB, and they beat everyone on their schedule. They may have one 3 pt loss in a rivalry game but it was to the 9th ranked team in the country and they turned around and beat them in the Big 12 championship. I think they have the better chance to beat Bama in the playoff than UCF.

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would like to see an 8 team playoff with the five Power 5 champs, 2 at-large Power 5s and the highest ranked non-power 5. Top two ranked teams get 1st rd byes. 

Ive heard the non power 5 being included in a top 4 discussed a bit. The issue many point to is that while you might see one upset in a bowl  (I.e. Boise st over Oklahoma several years ago), that’s very difficult to replicate. And it’s not a one game tournament. Teams like UCF, despite their great run, still have less talent and depth and a different level of coaching staff than highly ranked power 5 teams. Unlike basketball where teams can just get hot and be a Cinderella, in football you would be very rare to see a team like that beat, say, Oklahoma and Bama in succession. What is UCF’s best win this season? Also keep in mind the win streak is great,  but the 2018 playoff is about this season only. 

At the end of the day the committee wants the 4 best teams. They do not want blowouts. And the top 3 are all undefeated, same as UCF. With Oklahoma, they have the heisman winner at QB, and they beat everyone on their schedule. They may have one 3 pt loss in a rivalry game but it was to the 9th ranked team in the country and they turned around and beat them in the Big 12 championship. I think they have the better chance to beat Bama in the playoff than UCF.

You and I disagree on a major point- they want big name schools- they do not care about blowouts- OU is not going to give Bama an issue and that is ok since their fans will already be watching. Lastly as for the " 4 best teams" that was not the argument till last year, before that it was best resume or best conference champs. But i know you are being honest which is i like discussing this.

16 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

One- where they are in two years in not part of this debate FSU is not good now and they were good for 20 years in a row. Second- they are ducking the gators? Are you ignorant of the offer? A 2 for 1 when UCF has been the superior team for that past two years and UF will have the right to buy out the game if they choose. UCF will take anyone on under a 1 for 1 set up. Third- their opponents were not stellar this year- but they only play who is on their schedule which did not matter for Bama last year when they beat zero top 15 teams last year before playoff and had a loss. But i have realized that most of the people who argue SOS are stuxk in 1995 when being top 10 was a big drop to 20- this year # 10 is gators who were stomped by mizzou. I can give ypu plenty of other arguments but why bother you will confirm your bias each step.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You and I disagree on a major point- they want big name schools- they do not care about blowouts- OU is not going to give Bama an issue and that is ok since their fans will already be watching. Lastly as for the " 4 best teams" that was not the argument till last year, before that it was best resume or best conference champs. But i know you are being honest which is i like discussing this.

Each year presents its own fly in the ointment for the Committee of Excellence

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

They do change the criteria every year, which is why there really is no criteria. The only real criteria that is put forth is the tiebreakers. This year, I’m not sure there were any real ties. The committee never seriously considered Ohio state or UCF. ESPN tried to make it seem like they considered Ohio state to get the fans to watch the selection show. They may have considered Georgia, but i feel like that was a made up talking point for drama purposes 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.