HS wrestler told to cut hair or forfeit

Steve O

On 12/21/2018 at 11:41 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Jesus was from the middle east.  He wasn't a tall, blonde hair, blue-eyed Northern European...

...Jesus was 5'-3", wiry hair Arab looking guy with dark skin.  I made the mistake and I told this to my grandmother... She promptly called me the devil.  About the same time they were allowing females on the alter.  My younger sister told my grandmother that alter girls was a good thing, welcomed change. Grandma called My sister the devil too.

Wow! 2 :devil::devil: in the same family?  You guys must have had some interesting birthday parties. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/21/2018 at 10:58 PM, Augie said:

I was told to get a haircut or I couldn’t continue as an alter boy. I mentioned Jesus had long hair. Fr McCarthy did not share my sense of humor. 

Lou Pinella once refused to get his haircut when he played for the Yankees. He told George Steinbrenner that if Jesus came back to earth and wanted to play for the Yankees would he make Him cut His hair?

George took Lou to a swimming pool and told Lou that if he could walk across it he could keep his hair.

Lou promptly went and got his hair cut.

• Haha (+1) 3

21 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

The committee went over the rules and the referee interpreted them correctly. He did nothing wrong.

However, he's being suspended anyway because it's the second time he's been accused of racism.

Basically, all fans have to do to get rid of refs is to call them "racists," instead of just asking if they're blind. ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

The committee went over the rules and the referee interpreted them correctly. He did nothing wrong.

However, he's being suspended anyway because it's the second time he's been accused of racism.

Basically, all fans have to do to get rid of refs is to call them "racists," instead of just asking if they're blind. ?

Did they allow any white kids to wrestle with long hair?  If so the racism thing might be legit.  If not, it just sounds like the usual bs.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Did they allow any white kids to wrestle with long hair?  If so the racism thing might be legit.  If not, it just sounds like the usual bs.

The rule is a little bit more complex than just hair length. It includes regulations on hairstyle; which is what was cited as the rule violation. Braided hair is especially bad because it's like tugging on rope. I guess they should target the rules committee for banning braids and not man buns.

Why is long hair so popular in wrestling?

16 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Lou Pinella once refused to get his haircut when he played for the Yankees. He told George Steinbrenner that if Jesus came back to earth and wanted to play for the Yankees would he make Him cut His hair?

George took Lou to a swimming pool and told Lou that if he could walk across it he could keep his hair.

Lou promptly went and got his hair cut.

Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

I officiate HS sports and unfortunately there are several guys that I work with that take themselves entirely too serious.  There is the letter of the rule and the spirit of the rule.  Refs should enforce the spirit of the rule but too many people get off on being in a position of power.  Some of you want this to be a "snowflake" issue but this guy shouldn't have been reffing in the first place.  From the story:

The Courier-Post reported in 2016 that a black referee accused Maloney of calling him the N-word. Maloney told the local paper at the time that he didn’t remember using the racial slur but said he believed witnesses who backed up the other ref’s story.  “You know, people do make mistakes and I apologized,” Maloney told The Courier-Post at the time. “I really don’t think this should go any further than it’s gone anyhow.”

He should have been banned right then and there.  He went with the I don't remember but if other people say so defense then doubled down with the I apologized let it go strategy.  I'm in the middle of soccer season and there is a rule where a player with jewelry is discovered during game play it is a yellow card for the coach.  Most of us use common sense and send the kid to the sideline to remove it.  The guys on power trips stop the game and make a production out of carding the coach.  I worked with a guy who tried to do it with a couple minutes left in a blowout game.

I won't say this guy is racist but I will call him an idiot.  He brought this attention on himself by taking himself waaayyyy too seriously.  He wants to be the center of attention?  Careful what you wish for...

• Thank you (+1) 1