HS wrestler told to cut hair or forfeit

Steve O

11 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

It says they told the coach and wrestler days before that he had to wear a cover. Then they showed up to the match and had the wrong type of cover. 

It's a stupid rule, but if you're gonna do a stupid sport like wrestling, you have to go by the stupid rules. 

The ref should be in trouble if he let other kids wrestle with long hair, but if this is his thing (enforcing the hair rule), then I say non-issue. 

But you just know half this country will be up in arms over this crap. 

Looking back at some of the things I did to make weight I can see where you would think it's a stupid sport. Always understood the finger nail rule but never the hair rule, always thought it was stupid. Especially since college wrestling didn't have it.

2 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Looking back at some of the things I did to make weight I can see where you would think it's a stupid sport. Always understood the finger nail rule but never the hair rule, always thought it was stupid. Especially since college wrestling didn't have it.

It took a lot of people sacrificing their matches in the late 60s and early 70s to get the hair and facial hair rules relaxed

There was a revolution going on, even in wrestling

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

We went through this in the post-hippy days when they enforced hair length and forbidding of facial hair

friends said the worst was if the opponent didn’t bathe for weeks, as well as the effect of ethnic food on the sweat of opponents from the other hemisphere 

Biological warfare!

If The Evil Hoodie was a wrestling coach, he'd be all over these tactics!

Curried Indian food for team meals... For weeks straight!

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Biological warfare!

If The Evil Hoodie was a wrestling coach, he'd be all over these tactics!

Curried Indian food for team meals... For weeks straight!

The other side said the same as well of our side. 

18 hours ago, Steve O said:

Well, I don't know what the rules are now. Back in the 70's the rule was hair is above ear and above normal collar. Some refs let you get away with hair not being up to code, some did not. I always pushed the envelope which led to many impromptu haircuts. Never thought I was putting the team first by getting it cut before the match, more like I got caught, time to face the consequences (lousy impromptu haircut.) Certainly not something that deserved accolades. Did a little research since starting this and it does appear the NJ rules regarding hair length are basically the same as in my day, but do allow for a hair cover now. Not sure of the particulars on the hair cover though.

That rule was NOT in place in the 90s or early 2000s. My hair was down my back. 

21 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

My son wrestled much more recently and the rules you lived by aren't in place.  Can you imagine all those girls running around with the cut you describe?  This is getting far too much attention, but it seems the cut was at the whim of the ref.

I'm guessing this as in Texas, but perhaps Ohio.  In Ohio during my tenure wrestling there was strict rules about wrestling; must be clean shaven or a long beard was one of the biggest issues.  Many had to shave their face before a match because too much stubble.  Others had to wear hair covers, especially the girls (who at the time wrestled boys).  Having long hair must be done up in a bun or other type of fashion during this time unless the ref was being lazy.  

Ohio is one of the top 3 states traditionally for wrestling in the country and they take i serious along with Pennsylvania and Iowa.  New Jersey was also usually good.

20 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

It says they told the coach and wrestler days before that he had to wear a cover. Then they showed up to the match and had the wrong type of cover. 

It's a stupid rule, but if you're gonna do a stupid sport like wrestling, you have to go by the stupid rules. 

The ref should be in trouble if he let other kids wrestle with long hair, but if this is his thing (enforcing the hair rule), then I say non-issue. 

But you just know half this country will be up in arms over this crap. 

just because the kid was black, by the looks of things, racism will be decried - even though rules are rules and they had prior warning #snowflakes will be butthurt.

18 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Well, sex changes seem to be popular nowadays.  Would it be an issue if HE was a SHE?

girls still have to either cut their hair short, do corn rows with it not too long or wear a head covering sufficient to protect them.

i have seen someone not have hair covering in practice and had a patch of hair ripped out accidentally, it drew blood.

23 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Jesus was from the middle east.  He wasn't a tall, blonde hair, blue-eyed Northern European...

...Jesus was 5'-3", wiry hair Arab looking guy with dark skin.  I made the mistake and I told this to my grandmother... She promptly called me the devil.  About the same time they were allowing females on the alter.  My younger sister told my grandmother that alter girls was a good thing, welcomed change. Grandma called My sister the devil too.

:devil::devil:, and counting!

On 12/21/2018 at 4:40 PM, Steve O said:

Saw this on a local news broadcast. Are you kidding me? This is newsworthy now and causes outrage? Wish I had a dollar for every time I was forced to cut my hair right before a match.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/high-school-wrestler-reportedly-forced-cut-off-dreadlocks-compete-171757102.html

You had to cut your hair before before a match? Because I wrestled and my son has been involved in wrestling for the past eight years and I’ve never seen anyone asked to cut their hair. Now take it a step further and realize that this was done in the middle of the match before overtime. That’s not the time for that. The time for that is at weigh-ins during nail and skin check. 

5 hours ago, Augie said:

This story is about to be covered on the ABC Nightly News. I did not see THAT coming, but maybe I should have. 

It makes for a good story to piss people off as it is one of a silly natural that is polarizing.

1 hour ago, Dr. Fong said:

You had to cut your hair before before a match? Because I wrestled and my son has been involved in wrestling for the past eight years and I’ve never seen anyone asked to cut their hair. Now take it a step further and realize that this was done in the middle of the match before overtime. That’s not the time for that. The time for that is at weigh-ins during nail and skin check. 

That's the only oddity to this story for me - which makes me think there is more to it. 

I also remember issues where kids used products I their hair that made them more slick to grab.  One trick several used was to out Vaseline on ourselves and go outside so it was less warm and tacky then use a water based lotion over it so it was more like natural sweat until we heated up. Some would so this to their scalp, too.

Wrestlers are crazy.

11 hours ago, Dr. Fong said:

I didn't realize the timing. You are correct, every time I had to have my hair cut was at the nail/hair check, before the meet started. Middle of the match is not the time. Hair length rule always seemed like a rule without a reason, which is why many refs didn't enforce it.

I’m of the general belief that if a rule doesn’t make any sense there is no reason for it to be a rule. I’m not surprised that so many are outraged by this. When you factor in the history of this particular official you can’t help but wonder if it was racially motivated? Add in the fact that he was a kid and it’s even worse. It’s almost 2019 there is no place for this kind of abuse of power. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m of the general belief that if a rule doesn’t make any sense there is no reason for it to be a rule. I’m not surprised that so many are outraged by this. When you factor in the history of this particular official you can’t help but wonder if it was racially motivated? Add in the fact that he was a kid and it’s even worse. It’s almost 2019 there is no place for this kind of abuse of power. 

The rule has some grounds to it.

There are a lot of ways to cheat with hair and dangera coming with long hair. I've seen hair caught in headgear get ripped out or tangled many times. Once severely. 

It does seem like an abuse of power but I am concerned that safety is going to be neglected in the sport which already sees a lot of danger from cutting weight to checking someone's oil all the way to the butt drag. 

I have horor stories from wrestling that to me are just part of the sport. A few of my favorites are a fight with another wresler in the showers when I nearly broke his nose with a head butt followed by a fight as we were both naked, dropping 14 lbs in 2 days and keeping it off for an entire weekend (did 9 lbs in one day of mostly water weight, too), and gaining 11 lbs in one day (lots of cake, salt, water).  And lots of Iowa stories: the brands brothers are *****.

On 12/22/2018 at 6:28 PM, Boyst62 said:

just because the kid was black, by the looks of things, racism will be decried - even though rules are rules and they had prior warning #snowflakes will be butthurt.

Or, perhaps, just because the same ref was suspended for calling a black ref the N word racism will be decried.  But, yeah ... blame it on the kid being black.  He's got some nerve.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Or, perhaps, just because the same ref was suspended for calling a black ref the N word racism will be decried.  But, yeah ... blame it on the kid being black.  He's got some nerve.

That "logic" is incredibly bereft of...yano...actual logic.  I expect better of you but...yano...I don't.

Any further repudiation would not be constructive as it is just something you'd not comprehend...yano...logic.

• 8 months later...
On 12/22/2018 at 9:00 AM, row_33 said:

We went through this in the post-hippy days when they enforced hair length and forbidding of facial hair

friends said the worst was if the opponent didn’t bathe for weeks, as well as the effect of ethnic food on the sweat of opponents from the other hemisphere 

I read the second paragraph, and rather than take it as referring to the competitor’s geographic origin, read it in the same sense as the Seinfeld line regarding ‘below the Equator’.  ?