Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

On 12/23/2018 at 9:24 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  You keep bringing in players.  And Hoyer and Cassel, as limited as they are, are both spot starters and 10 year backup guys.  

C.

I might be misreading what you are saying and if so I apologize in advance.....but I want Josh Allen taking EVERY possible rep this next offseason and not sharing them in a "QB competitition"

Matt B. gives you a backup QB who doesnt need a lot of reps to get ready to hold a clipboard, provide some advice, and maybe give you 3 games a year where you hope a backup QB doesnt ***** the bed......which is really all you want your backup QB to do.

Josh Allen needs to be the focus now....everything else is just camp arms

• Like (+1) 1

By Matt Warren Jan 5, 2019, 12:15pm EST BUFFALO RUMBLINGS

Here is the full breakdown of both of Barkley’s contracts with the Bills:
Base salary: $418,235
Signing bonus: $200,000
Cap hit: $618,235
Workout bonus: $250,000
Base salary: $1.25 million
Likely To Be Earned per-game roster bonus: $37,500
Cap hit: $1,737,500*
Base salary: $1.5 million
Cap hit: $1.95 million**
* Will go up after 2019 season if he plays in more than 8 games
** Will be adjusted following 2019 season, adding in the games he was active in 2018.

McBeane paid a helluva lot more for McCarron with similar stats and years of experience....

The Bills announced their agreement with McCarron on Twitter.

On Thursday morning, ESPN.com's Mike Rodak reported that "McCarron's deal with Bills includes cap numbers of $3 million (2018) and $5.1 million (2019). He gets a $4 million signing bonus and a fully-guaranteed $900,000 base salary in 2018. He has a $3 million base salary in 2019, with $1.1 million guaranteed for injury only at signing that becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year. There are $100,000 workout bonuses each season, and not-likely-to-be-earned playing-time incentives up to $2 million (2018) and $2.5 million (2019). There is also a $2.5 escalator to his 2019 salary based on his 2018 playing time; if unearned, there are an additional $2.5 million in not-likely-to-be-earned playing-time incentives in 2019."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/1/2019 at 6:54 AM, Seoulful Soul said:

I love Bills "fans" that continually throw shade on the team.

Pay attention to usernames, it’s like the same 5 - 10 posters with the same refrain ?

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/1/2019 at 6:54 AM, Seoulful Soul said:

I love Bills "fans" that continually throw shade on the team.

It's called having a different opinion than yours. 

You know the lost art of critical thinking?

How was he throwing shade?  He doesn't like the backup.  I do.  It's ok if he doesnt. 

Anyways you all should get back to bashing some ex Bills. 

That's what real fans do. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Puts him at the 45th highest paid QB out of 90 QB contracts.

Midway thru the backup pay scale.

Which is about exactly what he is worth.

I don't see what the big deal is?

1.5 m a year for a 5 year vet QB is extremely low. There is no getting around that. It's a great deal for the Bills if they want him, and a great deal for Barkley because 1.5m versus not being in the league is great. But if you can get away with paying a veteran QB 3m for 2 years he is not very well thought of on the open market at all.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

On 12/31/2018 at 8:22 PM, John from Riverside said:

C.

I might be misreading what you are saying and if so I apologize in advance.....but I want Josh Allen taking EVERY possible rep this next offseason and not sharing them in a "QB competitition"

Matt B. gives you a backup QB who doesnt need a lot of reps to get ready to hold a clipboard, provide some advice, and maybe give you 3 games a year where you hope a backup QB doesnt ***** the bed......which is really all you want your backup QB to do.

Josh Allen needs to be the focus now....everything else is just camp arms

camp arms and QB room player-coaches

A great deal for Barkley....too.  is highest earning year was his first year when he made 900k, since then hes heem making between 300-800k a year.  Now hes set to make over $3.5M between last year and this upcoming year, far and away the highest earning years of his career.  If he sees the entirety of the 2 year deal the Bill's just doubled his career earnings.  Good for him!

3 hours ago, Estro said:

A great deal for Barkley....too.  is highest earning year was his first year when he made 900k, since then hes heem making between 300-800k a year.  Now hes set to make over $3.5M between last year and this upcoming year, far and away the highest earning years of his career.  If he sees the entirety of the 2 year deal the Bill's just doubled his career earnings.  Good for him!

True, but for the Bills it's just a 2-year $4M deal with just $600K in signing bonus.  Great deal for the Bills for a backup QB.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

It's called having a different opinion than yours. 

You know the lost art of critical thinking?

How was he throwing shade?  He doesn't like the backup.  I do.  It's ok if he doesnt. 

Anyways you all should get back to bashing some ex Bills. 

That's what real fans do. 

How does it feel to always put yourself on the self-righteous indignation cross?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/21/2018 at 3:29 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

"You guys" are everyone who thinks this is a good move because of what he showed in his one game, and not in his entire career of crappiness and getting cut seven times. He's just like Peterman, only slightly smarter.

We're all in this together wanting the Bills to win. I don't think this helps them in the long run to win, he's not good enough to win half his games if you need him for a long stretch if your starter goes down.

He had the best game of his career, and I was absolutely thrilled with it, but he has been on six teams for a reason; he's not good enough. And he didn't show in that one game that his death knell doesn't exist.

Eh... Peterman is like the worst QB ever. As hyperbolic as that sounds, it isn't. It doesn't take much to be much better than Peterman.

So he's not really, just like Peterman. It's the back up QB. I get the going .500 point, but what team other than the eagles have had sustained success due to their back up?

You're making mountains out of mole hills.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:08 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Excellent move

Yes.  When I think of a solid veteran QB master who can teach the game to Josh Allen, the name "Matt Barkley" practically jumps out of my mouth.

:o

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yes.  When I think of a solid veteran QB master who can teach the game to Josh Allen, the name "Matt Barkley" practically jumps out of my mouth.

:o

He's not the one in that role.  Anderson is.

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

By Matt Warren Jan 5, 2019, 12:15pm EST BUFFALO RUMBLINGS

Here is the full breakdown of both of Barkley’s contracts with the Bills:
Base salary: $418,235
Cap hit: $618,235
Base salary: $1.25 million
Likely To Be Earned per-game roster bonus: $37,500
Cap hit: $1,737,500*
Base salary: $1.5 million
Cap hit: $1.95 million**
* Will go up after 2019 season if he plays in more than 8 games
** Will be adjusted following 2019 season, adding in the games he was active in 2018.

McBeane paid a helluva lot more for McCarron with similar stats and years of experience....

The Bills announced their agreement with McCarron on Twitter.

On Thursday morning, ESPN.com's Mike Rodak reported that "McCarron's deal with Bills includes cap numbers of $3 million (2018) and $5.1 million (2019). He gets a $4 million signing bonus and a fully-guaranteed $900,000 base salary in 2018. He has a $3 million base salary in 2019, with $1.1 million guaranteed for injury only at signing that becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year. There are $100,000 workout bonuses each season, and not-likely-to-be-earned playing-time incentives up to $2 million (2018) and $2.5 million (2019). There is also a $2.5 escalator to his 2019 salary based on his 2018 playing time; if unearned, there are an additional $2.5 million in not-likely-to-be-earned playing-time incentives in 2019."

That's dirt cheap for a backup QB nowadays.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:18 PM, HappyDays said:

I don't think I will ever regret it if a backup QB loses a game. If the starter goes down you're not likely to win. What's the problem with Barkley? He is more than a capable backup.

"Howie Roseman for you on line two, Mr Days"

Seems these days most teams carry 2 QB on the roster plus maybe one stashed on the practice squad.  Looks like the Bills are providing Josh Allen with a pair of training wheels, two backups  -  one of whom for age and durability reasons may be more mentor or player/coach than backup.  But they both count against the 53 man roster.

This isn't a critique of the move, just a commentary that it does have its downside.