Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

Great move.  He will be a solid back-up and arguably the Bills have stabilized their QB situation to a greater extent then at any time in the last decade.

On top of this it's clear from this signing that Allen, Barkley & Anderson are all part of a very effective QB room.  This is big when trying to develop a raw rookie.  

Given everything management has to fix on the offense in the off season it's almost surreal that the one thing they don't have to fix are our starting & back-up QB's! 

Does anyone know the contract details? My guess is something around 5 mil/year. 

You never know how a California boy will adjust to live in Western New York but it seems as though Matthew has really taken to it swimmingly,.

Edited by BillsSB2020

At the very least this pushes an area of serious concern moving forward to the back burner that can be resolved in the spring by resigning DA or finding a practice squad QB for next season. So many other areas of need can now be focused on via draft or free agency.

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You guys are going to regret this the next time he is asked to play close to a full game that counts. ;)

Not really.  He is a backup.  If he were as good as a starter he'd be somewhere starting.  Folks have unrealistic expectations about backup QBs.  If any of them have to play more than a few games at a time a teams' season is in trouble.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I feel it's a solid move.  It's clearly better than last year's "let's go with Peterman/McCarron to start/mentor Josh Allen" transitioning to "Nate's got this!".

He's must be a process guy and I'm sure the Christian thing helps considering McD, but I don't think it would be the primary checkbox.  I'm curious if Barkley has been more than a little helpful with Allen's development, but it's nice to have a guy in the QB room who gets it.  I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Barkley has been extremely supportive of Allen and has gone above and beyond of what's been asked... getting extended during the season is probably a hint.

No, Barkley isn't a world-beater, and if we're forced to start him for an extended stretch we're probably screwed... but can't you say that about most of the backup QBs in the NFL?  I can understand why some people aren't jumping up and down with excitement, but for the people who are mildly or seriously annoyed with this move, what's the ask?  A veteran backup on the level of Drew Brees?  Or let's go young and find another Baker Mayfield? 

I"m just happy they (apparently) learned from their disastrous handling of the position and got QB2 out of the way, ahead of schedule.

Edited by technobot

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

"You guys" are everyone who thinks this is a good move because of what he showed in his one game, and not in his entire career of crappiness and getting cut seven times. He's just like Peterman, only slightly smarter.

We're all in this together wanting the Bills to win. I don't think this helps them in the long run to win, he's not good enough to win half his games if you need him for a long stretch if your starter goes down.

He had the best game of his career, and I was absolutely thrilled with it, but he has been on six teams for a reason; he's not good enough. And he didn't show in that one game that his death knell doesn't exist.

He is a backup QB.  There aren't too many in the league that are good enough.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree with everything you said, except if you have a rag arm, which very few players ever improve. It’s possible but highly unlikely. 

Nick Mullens is statistically performing the best of the rookie QBs and he has a very weak arm. In fact he leads the NFL in passing yards since week 13. It can be overcome. Mullens will never be a consistent starter but that type of QB certainly can be a good backup in this league.

• Like (+1) 1