Rams and Bills May Have Discussed Hughes Trade

Coach Tuesday

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Again, 

why in the ***** are you trading Hughes? 

If they are giving a first round draft choice why ******* not?

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I thought it was first reported at the trade deadline.

My questions would be who approached who and who really wanted to make a deal? My guess is that the Rams approached Beane and were the ones who really wanted to get a deal for Hughes. This would suggest that while Beane had some interest, he's not necessarily shopping Hughes and actively looking for a replacement. 

Sound thought, unusual for TBD!

3 hours ago, Pablocruise said:

Hughes,Murphy,,Lawson,Yarbrough,(?)all under contract at east one more year Bills arent desperate, but ood to start developing young DE(s)

One good pass rusher out of the 4 is not good for the DE position. I think you could make a good case for DE in the first round. Or DT.

Edited by vincec

3 hours ago, djp14150 said:

This isn’t new. It was mentioned early in season and near deadline

buffalo isn’t moving him unless it’s a 1st or 2nd.

personally I don’t like trading players for a pick you need to use to rep,ace what got traded.

Not necessarily bad if you get good production out of a rook thru year 4 - helps with the cap. 

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yep...we're probably going pass rushing DE early in the draft.

I think the Bills were hoping for a great haul from the win now Rams who might have overpaid for a pass rusher like Hughes. It doesn't shock me that the Bills who struggled early in the year might have listened to an offer for Hughes. A second round pick and a late or mid round pick is likely the offer the Bills wanted. The Rams were probably willing to offer a third rounder and considering the value Hughes could have to the team in 2019 its likely they weren't trading him unless they got a good return.

I wouldn't rule out pass rusher in round 1 but I don't think that's a given. I think they go BPA either an OT, Pass rusher, or Corner. 

Edited by billsfan89

Hughes is not close to a premiere pass rusher in the NFL.  Only a very subjective Bill's fan would say such a thing.  He's a solid player who runs hot and cold.  He'll have 2 or 3 games a season where he looks like an unblockable speed demon, but he also will disappear for a month.  He's been a great find for the Bill's, but theyd be smart to listen to any and all offers if there are interested teams this offseason.

Hughes will be 31 next season, which in the world of DEs isn't over the hill, but it is entering the older stage.  He has 1 year left on a reasonable deal that owes him $7.5M in cash next year, which is very cheap and helps his trade value quite a bit.

If a team offered a 3rd rounder in the 2019 draft this offseason I'd be tempted, especially if it was a high 3rd, say a top 80 pick.  

2nd, 3rd, 4th are gold if they hit.  Their rookie deals pay them 1/8th of what they're worth of they become players.  

• Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Interesting tidbit from PFT:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/21/rams-knew-early-on-that-ndamukong-wasnt-the-same-old-suh/

"As one source pointed out to PFT, the Rams’ first choice was Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes, but Buffalo and L.A. couldn’t work out a deal before the deadline.  Maybe Hughes will become the Rams’ next target in 2019, when Suh and/or Fowler leave as free agents."

It's one thing to target a 35 YO guy in the last year of his contract who may get you over the top this coming season when you think you can make a deep playoff run.  Give up a low round pick to rent the player for the rest of the season.

It's another thing to maybe offer a 2 or 3 year contract to a guy his age who is now a free agent looking for the most $$ and can sign where ever he wants.

6 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Hughes has been one of the best trades the Bills have ever made. Unlike a lot of players who get their payday and digress, Hughes got better. I'm hoping Hughes retires a Bill.

Agreed.  If I'm drafting a defensive lineman first in this draft, it's to play with him not replace him with.  Grab some young pass rushers to learn from Hughes and Williams and Alexander.  Hughes and Williams have been fun this season with Zo in there too but we need to invest too.  

This is a shame.  It is too bad we don’t have enough cap space in 2019 for a high performing veteran who is already under and in our cap figure for 2019. ?

i’ll also never get this ongoing misunderstanding by some in this fan base that thinks Hughes is a FA in 2019 that we have to find a way to move.

not necessarily the point of the OT, but still it comes up more than you think.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Hughes has been a pillar for the Bills.  He sometines gets some kind of pressure on the QB ( The stat that is the new fad )  and often has those game changing plays which keeps opposing team's drive alive with a stupid 15 yard penalty.

Unfortunately Hughes has been blacklisted by the NFL.  He never, ever gets a holding call against him. 

I don't undertand the love for this player that is invisible for most games.  Then he has one good play and just like CLAY, the love doesnt stop flowing.

Good riddance Hughes and bring Clay with you!

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

So again, trade away a good established NFL player for an unknown low 1st rounder..... why? 

Hughes for a First rounder......The laughs keep on coming on this forum!

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, djp14150 said:

This isn’t new. It was mentioned early in season and near deadline

buffalo isn’t moving him unless it’s a 1st or 2nd.

personally I don’t like trading players for a pick you need to use to rep,ace what got traded.

Agreed... Unless you can get a Khalil Mack-type player with that pick, why trade a known commodity for an unknown one, unless there's contract/off the field issues?

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Interesting tidbit from PFT:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/21/rams-knew-early-on-that-ndamukong-wasnt-the-same-old-suh/

"As one source pointed out to PFT, the Rams’ first choice was Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes, but Buffalo and L.A. couldn’t work out a deal before the deadline.  Maybe Hughes will become the Rams’ next target in 2019, when Suh and/or Fowler leave as free agents."

From back in November just after the trade deadline.

Sources: Rams inquired about Clowney, Hughes

Then, as they continued discussions with the Jaguars regarding Fowler, the Rams also made a push as recently as last week to acquire Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes, only to get rejected by Buffalo as well, according to sources.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

From back in November just after the trade deadline.

Sources: Rams inquired about Clowney, Hughes

Then, as they continued discussions with the Jaguars regarding Fowler, the Rams also made a push as recently as last week to acquire Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes, only to get rejected by Buffalo as well, according to sources.

Good...and damn straight.

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

So again, trade away a good established NFL player for an unknown low 1st rounder..... why? 

Bill Polian once stated in the mid 1980's that the Bills were a failed organization because they held on to "Fan Favorites" too long and got nothing in return except a drop in production, injury, and eventually release or retirement!!

Why trade - KW95 said it best!

Hughes has been a pillar for the Bills.  He sometines gets some kind of pressure on the QB ( The stat that is the new fad )  and often has those game changing plays which keeps opposing team's drive alive with a stupid 15 yard penalty.

Unfortunately Hughes has been blacklisted by the NFL.  He never, ever gets a holding call against him. 

I don't undertand the love for this player that is invisible for most games.  Then he has one good play and just like CLAY, the love doesnt stop flowing.

Just now, vorpma said:

Bill Polian once stated in the mid 1980's that the Bills were a failed organization because they held on to "Fan Favorites" too long and got nothing in return except a drop in production, injury, and eventually release or retirement!!

Why trade - KW95 said it best!

And he is 31 - give me a high draft pick in a second and make it count!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KW95 said:

Hughes for a First rounder......The laughs keep on coming on this forum!

Sacks are like home runs. Don't happen often but mean a ton when the occur.

If you get rid of Hughes, you damn well better be bringing in a ton of pass rushers because even he's not enough.

19 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Sacks are like home runs. Don't happen often but mean a ton when the occur.

If you get rid of Hughes, you damn well better be bringing in a ton of pass rushers because even he's not enough.

Cant agree with you more, his 6.0 sacks in 14 games were game breakers....