[Edited Title] Lions v Bills 4th and 2 Decision

My opinion is that there is no use in overanalyzing one play. Coaches have to make these decisions in seconds, and they are already on to the next play before it is even executed. Fans get hung up on the ins and outs and why's and could haves/ should haves... These are split second decions that are made.

You guess right on a play? Great, on to the next one. You guess wrong? Darn, on to the next one.

My view is you take the points.

For a normally conservative coach this really puzzled me.

There was plenty of time to score more points take what you can get now and go back and get more later. 

That nearly cost the Bills the W if Prater makes that FG its  a possible loss.

Stick to what you know coach....like Marv used to say: when you start listening to the fans you will soon be sitting with them.

Wise words from a wise man.

In college football, Coaches are going for it on 4th and short just about everytime and ususally with good success. I see this slowly becoming the trend in NFL. Its a high percentage play. you just have to move the ball a yard or 2. More times than not you are going to convert these which can lead to more points. If you have a good D like the Bills do, why not go for it more? More plays for Josh Allen is a ++++

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

The first was a scramble the second was them using Allen to get the inches they needed.

I know what the plays were. I’m just saying, if you watch..way to often on 3rd or 4th down if Allen’s first guy isn’t there he panics and wants to try and run for it. He is to quick to put it on himself. That’s what a competitor does, I like the fire. But he’s got to stay in there and throw sometimes. I want him to keep the mobility in his game. I think that’s what could make him good. I just also want him to feel like he can throw for conversions and be more patient.

27 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know what the plays were. I’m just saying, if you watch..way to often on 3rd or 4th down if Allen’s first guy isn’t there he panics and wants to try and run for it. He is to quick to put it on himself. That’s what a competitor does, I like the fire. But he’s got to stay in there and throw sometimes. I want him to keep the mobility in his game. I think that’s what could make him good. I just also want him to feel like he can throw for conversions and be more patient.

Get him WRs he can trust and that will actually catch the ball. 

32 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Fair enough. I just think some are confused on why you would bring up the designed run play to seal the game as an example of him taking it upon himself. 

34 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I loved the call... at this point McDermott should go for it on 4th down anytime they are in FG range.  It will give him a better chance to see what players do in those situations.

I agree, but at the same time, going for it also gives them the best chance to win. A classic win-win.

Interesting to see both sides of the argument here.  Sorry if my original post was a little cryptic, I had a couple cocktails in me.  To the posters who said whether the play worked is irrelevant, I agree.  

In general, I agree Bills play calling has been too conservative.  However in that scenario, I thought the call was wrong.  Take the points.  We have a bad offense.  I figured with a half to play I would've felt more comfortable being down 3 then potentially still being down 6.  

Thanks for all the replies!

BD

10 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

Similar to this discussion. Everyone loves it when teams go for the win with a 2 point conversion instead of an extra point at the end of regulation. I am in the minority and think it is a dumb move over aggressive move. I would think you have a lot more chances to win in OT then if you have a busted play on a 2 point conversion. It worked for Anthony Lynn but was a bust for Mike Vrable this season so I guess based on the data we have in 2018 it is a split verdict.

Completely depends on the situation.  Lynn was facing a KC team that scores a lot of points.  The chargers have a great QB and weapons around him, why let it go to overtime when you have a 50/50 chance to end the game in your favor right there.  As for Vrable, to throw the ball when you have Henry and a bulldozing offensive line is just mind-boggling. Similar call to letting Russell Wilson toss the rock at the 1 yard line instead of giving it to Lynch.   

Why not go for it there? And Allen's development is WAYYYYYYYY more important than winning one game, that was a joke right?  If that regime wants to be successful, Allen's development is priority number 1 and it's not even close.   Beane said it himself, you can't just trot all your young guys out there to start the season or it will be a complete mess.  Despite it starting poorly, this team has been fairly competitive losing a couple games by just a few points.  With so many young players, you can't just throw everything at them all at once.  You have to add things in a little bit at a time.  Many fans that have screamed for McDermott to be more aggressive should be happy about that call.  It didn't work but you have to practice it in a live game where it actually matters.  Allen is now to the point where the staff trusts him to make a play.  He has very little help which makes McDermott's decision very hard sometimes.  I'm sure there are many times where he's wanted to go for it but hasn't because the offense just wasn't good enough to do so yet.  You can be aggressive with a really good offense but it's a very fine line.  You could just as easily just give away a ton of points as well.  I expect with a more talented offense next year that they will continue to add more aggressive calls.