The Ringer's Kevin Clark Writes: The NFL’s Analytics Revolution Has Arrived

26CornerBlitz

The football analytics revolution may not be obvious, but it is happening in front of you all the time. There is an NFL team that plans to run more offensive plays to the side of the field farthest from its opponent’s bench. It has figured out, using player-tracking data, that a defensive lineman will sometimes run more throughout the course of a game by shuffling from the bench to the field during a substitution than he will during actual gameplay. Thus, running plays to the far side of the field can help tire out rotating defensive linemen.

This strategy is unique but the logic behind it is not. Stories like this are common around the league: A team stumbles upon some shred of data and builds a play, a playbook, a personnel decision, or an entire scheme around it. It changes how a team drafts, calls plays, and evaluates opponents. All of these trends point to one thing: Football’s analytics moment has arrived.

We’ve reached this high point for a couple of reasons. The rise of smarter, younger GMs and coaches is part of it. A bigger part of it, though, is the spread of the NFL’s player-tracking data, which is being shared leaguewide for the first time this season. Having access to that data allows teams to build models to analyze plays and players differently, and to simply know more about the game. That’s been a boon to a movement that had already been embraced by a handful of the smartest teams. As other teams try to catch up, they’ve created an arms race to get the best numbers. Essentially, the smartest teams are getting significantly smarter, the average teams are trying to get better, and the dumbest teams are going to be very dumb if they don’t act soon.
  • Like (+1) 1

Speaking of defense and substitutions, notice how a guy like Aaron Rodgers catches the D with 12 men on the field while one is furiously trying to get to the sidelines. But watch him run off the field - he's frequently traveling in a diagonal line, which is longer than if he ran parallel to the yard lines. It's only a few steps, but that's often the difference between making it on time and getting the penalty. I can't believe that in this age of analytics and All-22 film, no coach has noticed that and drilled it into the players to take the shortest route to the sideline.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The football analytics revolution may not be obvious, but it is happening in front of you all the time. There is an NFL team that plans to run more offensive plays to the side of the field farthest from its opponent’s bench. It has figured out, using player-tracking data, that a defensive lineman will sometimes run more throughout the course of a game by shuffling from the bench to the field during a substitution than he will during actual gameplay. Thus, running plays to the far side of the field can help tire out rotating defensive linemen.

This strategy is unique but the logic behind it is not. Stories like this are common around the league: A team stumbles upon some shred of data and builds a play, a playbook, a personnel decision, or an entire scheme around it. It changes how a team drafts, calls plays, and evaluates opponents. All of these trends point to one thing: Football’s analytics moment has arrived.

We’ve reached this high point for a couple of reasons. The rise of smarter, younger GMs and coaches is part of it. A bigger part of it, though, is the spread of the NFL’s player-tracking data, which is being shared leaguewide for the first time this season. Having access to that data allows teams to build models to analyze plays and players differently, and to simply know more about the game. That’s been a boon to a movement that had already been embraced by a handful of the smartest teams. As other teams try to catch up, they’ve created an arms race to get the best numbers. Essentially, the smartest teams are getting significantly smarter, the average teams are trying to get better, and the dumbest teams are going to be very dumb if they don’t act soon.

There is nothing remotely unique about that strategy as it’s been a staple for offensive coaches for decades. And it was really effective before they moved the hashmarks in. 

7 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Speaking of defense and substitutions, notice how a guy like Aaron Rodgers catches the D with 12 men on the field while one is furiously trying to get to the sidelines. But watch him run off the field - he's frequently traveling in a diagonal line, which is longer than if he ran parallel to the yard lines. It's only a few steps, but that's often the difference between making it on time and getting the penalty. I can't believe that in this age of analytics and All-22 film, no coach has noticed that and drilled it into the players to take the shortest route to the sideline.

Yeah, this has always blown my mind too lol.

33 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I guess it depends on which part of the field they're coming from. All players on the sideline have to stay in between the 30 yard lines. If a guy runs straight to the sideline from say, he 20, he can still cause his team to get penalized.... I think....

Remember Belichick’s secret weapon and righthand man Ernie Adams has been a Wall Street sabermetrics guru turned NFL junkie. Analystics has always been used, some teams are just better at it than others.

Edited by Dr.Sack

18 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I guess it depends on which part of the field they're coming from. All players on the sideline have to stay in between the 30 yard lines. If a guy runs straight to the sideline from say, he 20, he can still cause his team to get penalized.... I think....

Wow - there's an obscure rule that I never knew about. You're right, though.

2014rulebook-bench-area.png

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-nfl-rulebook/

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Having worked in data driven jobs, analytics were a given.  I wonder what analytics said do not draft Lindsay?

Crazy.  It’s not like he went to a small school or didn’t produce in college...there are just so many running backs out there