Autographs

On 12/20/2018 at 6:30 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Collected sports autographs as a kid.  Some of the better ones I can think of...

Michael Jordan 

Joe Montana

Karl Malone

Ken Griffey Jr.

Cornelius Bennett

Drew Bledsoe

I got most of the early 90’s Bills players with the exception of Kelly, Thurman and Reed.  Those guys were hard to get.

My mother got Jim Kelly's autograph for me. She was on a flight back to Buffalo to visit family and my Grandmas birthday. He signed the envelope containing grandmas birthday card. Both of my grandparents hated Jim's guts at the time. LoL. I think this was '89 or '90. 

That autograph is another one of a thousand things from childhood that I lost track of and wish i could have back.

22 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Not an autograph, but in the early days of the Sabres, my grandmother used to work at the Aud. Whenever a stick broke in practice, they'd just throw them off to the side and get a new one. My grandma would take them home, my grandfather would tape them up and play with them. My uncles never had to pay for a hockey stick, and always had genuine Sabres sticks to play with.

I have a buddy at work who is a photographer for Associated Press. He covers all races at Indy and Dallas and has had the gig since he was 18. He is now in his 60s. He hasn't missed an Indy 500 since age 5. His dad was an official of some sort.

Anyway, he has unlimited pit access and grabs a couple dozen race-used lug nuts and gives them away at work.

I forgot I also have Chris Jericho’s from a book signing a couple years ago. I went mostly to get one personalized as a gift but I also got 1 for myself, as I am a Jericho-holic, he’s my second greatest troll after The Donald.

My son has a signed and framed Bruce Smith jersey hanging prominently in his home. It was a rather extravagant Christmas present for his brother a few years ago, but it found it’s way back to him. I’m not big on autographs, but that is a prized possession. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

I have President Reagan and Dennis Conner on the cover of Sports Illustrated after D Conner won the America’s Cup back from Australia.

Ralph Wilson

Marv Levy

Bruce Smith

Thurman Thomas

A number of the late 60s / 70s Bills

I got Arnold Palmer to sign a 80th birthday card for my ex FIL

Edited by BuffaloBud

On 12/20/2018 at 11:11 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

What are the coolest autographs you've collected over the years? All of mine came from me meeting the person directly, not buying the autograph. I've never directly paid for autograph in my life.

One's I've had (even if I probably lost some since then), in order of how cool I think they were

• Chuck Berry. Waited outside his dressing room before a show.
  • REO Speedwagon. Literally standing in the same spot I got Chuck's a few months later. They almost hit me with their bus.
  • Stu Cook, and Doug Clifford. Drummer and Bassist for Creedence. Same spot as the first two.
  • George Thorogood. After a show where I sat front row all show holding up my album.
  • Doobie Brothers current lineup. My aunt's friend from high school is married to their current sax player, so we got backstage passes.
  • Derek St. Holmes. Original lead singer for Ted Nugent. Wrote all of his songs that were actually good before Ted kicked him out in the early 80s.
  • Mick Brown (Drummer from Dokken.)

George Thorogood can write his name?

Let's see...I've got Thurman, Kelly, Bruce, and Andre, all on one helmet.  Jeff Wright, House Ballard.  Dennis Miller.  Couple of political figures I won't mention, a few authors.  And I've signed some as "Alec Baldwin," "Nathan Fillion," and "Jesse Armistad," because people are ***** idiots.  ("You look familiar...do you play football?"  "No."  "You play linebacker for the Giants, don't you?"  "No."  "Yes, you do, can I have your autograph?"  "Sure, what the hell...the Giants play in Dallas on Sunday, so I don't know why the hell I'd be in Salt Lake City on Friday afternoon, but I'm sure you're right and I'm wrong..."

I had one of my parent’s friends challenge me to make my bed almost military style as a kid, every morning the bed had to be perfect for a month. Back then I was lazy about that (maybe 4th-5th grade?) If I could do it he would, through connections, get me a basketball signed by all the Buffalo Braves. I got lazy after a week or so, and found a loophole....I made the bed but slept in a little nest on the floor. 

He found a loophole, he found some cheap plastic basketball with a giant bald spot and got all the Braves to sign it. I forget his name, but I love that man! A great life lesson. Thank you, sir! 

On 12/22/2018 at 12:46 AM, Gugny said:

You just reminded me.  I have a hockey puck from the Adirondack Red Wings signed by Dave Hanson.

They played in my hometown.  His wife had a baby in the Glens Falls Hospital where my mom worked in the Snuggery (maternity ward).  The Red Wings, back then, were all the rave.  My mom asked if he could autograph something for me and she brought home the puck.  I still have it.

My little piece of Slapshot!

I'm not an autograph person but if I was any of the Hansons (was Dave the one with the glasses?) would be a prized possession.

In my formative years I went to the local mall and waited forever for Tug McGraw to barely acknowledge me, scribble his name on a piece of paper and send me on my way. Maybe that's why I'm not an autograph guy.

Many many years later I had the opportunity to high five Mr. Met on the way to our seats at Shea. When I relayed this to a friend who arrived a few minutes later he just shook his head at me and showed me the scorebook he had just gotten signed by Mr. Met. 

On 12/24/2018 at 10:21 PM, DC Tom said:

George Thorogood can write his name?

Let's see...I've got Thurman, Kelly, Bruce, and Andre, all on one helmet.  Jeff Wright, House Ballard.  Dennis Miller.  Couple of political figures I won't mention, a few authors.  And I've signed some as "Alec Baldwin," "Nathan Fillion," and "Jesse Armistad," because people are ***** idiots.  ("You look familiar...do you play football?"  "No."  "You play linebacker for the Giants, don't you?"  "No."  "Yes, you do, can I have your autograph?"  "Sure, what the hell...the Giants play in Dallas on Sunday, so I don't know why the hell I'd be in Salt Lake City on Friday afternoon, but I'm sure you're right and I'm wrong..."

Yeah. I brought a copy of his live album and it was almost all black, so I made sure to bring a silver sharpie. He signed the one white section of the whole thing. Glenn Parker stole my dad's pen at a Bisons game once. I had no idea who he was at the time.

Speaking of political figures, my aunt's ex husband was in the Secret Service. He got a personalized autograph from Ronald Reagan. My uncle was there when he signed it, so we know it's not a fake. He keeps it in his closet because he's a staunch conservative Democrat. I think it's kinda dumb. I lean to the right but if I had a personalized autograph from Carter, Clinton, or even Obama, that would be in a frame somewhere. It's just a cool thing to have.