Josh Gordon Stepping Away from Football in Advance of this Sunday's Game; Returned to the Reserve/Commissioner Suspended List Indefinitely

26CornerBlitz

Lots of “experts” and judgment here. Raise your hand if you’ve ever even met Josh Gordon. Yet we can all be so certain in our convictions. Because you have YOUR life experiences. You do not have HIS. 

I hope he makes the most of his life. Football is not everything, and in his case it may not actually be a good thing. We do not know. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes.  You need to be addicted to something pretty serious for it to impact you enough to lose your job.  If you lose your job because you’re “addicted” to solely marijuana...you’re actually an irresponsible *****.  Same goes with shopping, working out, and all the other frivolous “addictions” folks use to make excuses for their poor choices in life.  It’s a bunch of crap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/28/josh-gordon-interview-cleveland-browns-nfl

He says he began smoking marijuana in seventh grade, taking Xanax in eighth

Gordon says he smoked marijuana every day at Lamar and drank vodka from Minute Maid bottles during class. His junior year he started drinking codeine syrup mixed with soda—or “lean”—every night. Whenever someone offered, he’d pop Xanax, hydrocodone, oxycodone. Before football games he’d chug Mad Dog 20-20 straight out of the bottle just to see if he could play drunk.

Gordon sat out the 2011 season as a transfer and, he says, tried cocaine for the first time. He began taking Adderall every day.

Then, this past May, the NFL rejected another reinstatement bid and he started “reaching back to [his] familiar devices. Marijuana. Alcohol.”

It's not solely weed and it wouldn't matter if it was. What someone is addicted to can be unimportant to the situation, usually it's just a crutch for other issues. Of course being addicted to gambling or videogames and ignoring family, burning bridges, etc is irresponsible, but it's most certainly not crap.

I've know multiple people that have committed suicide, even if from the outside it appeared they were living a good life. You never know what's going through someone's head. 

If someone is flushing down that much money and that big of an opportunity down the drain, they obviously have some deep seeded issues they're dealing with. Just reading briefly about his past, I'm sure it still weighs on him. It's like women who are sexually abused as kids, it ***** them up for their entire life. I imagine growing up, selling/doing drugs in 7th grade, carrying a gun, and not expecting to make it past early 20's creates some serious issues. 

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

I've dealt with real addiction and deaths from it, but apparently I need to now feel sorry for an overgrown child millionaire who can't stop clubbing.

Boo-*****-hoo.

Real addiction is determined by the amount of money made in a career?  Clubbing?  Good God some of these posts!  :bag:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Real addiction is determined by the amount of money made in a career?  Clubbing?  Good God some of these posts!  :bag:

Way to cherry pick to frame your "argument". I have like 8 other posts here that made my point entirely clear.

Point blank - I simply don't believe that his issue is as serious as some are making it, considering his history. You can choose to disagree and act like the subject matter expert as I'm sure you have multiple tabs open on the topic and are now an addiction expert. I personally believe that this guy just likes to smoke weed, got caught AGAIN, and is playing damage control.

I guess we'll see who's right soon enough. If TMZ snaps a pic of him clubbing or he joins a reality TV series within the year, I'm not going to shed a tear for him.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Success said:

I saw so many Pats fans on the internet use the way he’s played the past month to further ridicule Cleveland, and talk about him being saved because of being in a “real” team and the “Patriot Way.”

Hard not to see this news and be glad to see those fools humbled.  But it’s even harder not to feel bad for Gordon.  Not sure what happened, but if it’s related to addiction, that thing is the devil.  I will hope for the best for him.

as i mentioned when I first sawt he news posted, his life is way more important than footbal.

BUTTTT, just traveled to the Pats board and man that place is funny. Just some random posts were.."not mentally tough enough for the Pats Way" .."We get our pick back right?".."and several of the like. Like most boards, rational smart people there too...but some whacked ones as well!

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He smokes pot and is using mental health as an excuse. One of the reasons people struggle recognizing mental health as a legit issue is the guys like this who will use it as a crutch. 

No.  There is definitly something wrong if he is willing to lose all that money to smoke weed.

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

No.  There is definitly something wrong if he is willing to lose all that money to smoke weed.

What about all of the money he's made for a lackluster football career? 

Did Ricky Williams have issues or did he make a personal choice when he stepped away because he didn't want to stop smoking? Maybe I'm jaded, but some of the opinions here are so soft. This guy might just be a selfish, lazy dude playing damage control - not some heart wrenching sob story. The guy has more access to money and resources than you or I ever will. If he wanted to heal himself once and for all he could. It would take a lot of time and money, but he's got both now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Incorrect. And youre not a doctor or qualified to make these statements

Addiction is a medical condition caused by at least one choice. 

In this case, it seems to be many many poor choices on his part.

also, you don’t know he’s not a doctor... 

• Like (+1) 1