Josh Gordon Stepping Away from Football in Advance of this Sunday's Game; Returned to the Reserve/Commissioner Suspended List Indefinitely

26CornerBlitz

giphy.gif

drug testing is such a joke (just do a bunch of coke, Molly, and acid and you’re good in 2 days!) and it’s embarrassing weed is still illegal.  But man, this dude has problems if he can’t get it together for millions of dollars.  I feel like we will read about him in a few years and it won’t be good.

that said, sign him to a future’s contract!  Our “culture” will get him back on track.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Someone else said it before, but why not give the CFL a shot? The talent is still there and he'll make some money doing it. 

At least then he can focus on football and not have to look over his shoulder for a useless drug test. As far as I know, he doesnt have drug issues beyond weed. 

The rumor is he never really liked football.  Apparently, they had to talk him out of quitting when he was at Baylor.  If only Austin Proehl has his talent. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The rumor is he never really liked football.  Apparently, they had to talk him out of quitting when he was at Baylor.  If only Austin Proehl has his talent. 

Well if that's the case, then it makes sense. Everyone is their own person. I just feel like if you can shed all that crap (i.e. drug testing for weed, suspensions, probation, and a higher level of scrutiny based on his history), he might enjoy football and life a little more. 

10 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Wow. I know it is easier said than done, but I am always amazed when guys can’t get out of their own way in situations like this.

i really hope he figures this thing out.

apparently it isn't addictive.....

they said cocaine wasn't either until the early 1980s....

oops....

37 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Well said, Seasons.  However, do you think this is a team that is going to decide to relentlessly blitz?

Do I? No.......but it's the well-known blueprint on beating a peak-era Brady, let alone the breaking-down version we're seeing these days.

• Like (+1) 1

He needs better people around him. It’s amazing how much attention this gets but everyone avoids the obvious mistake being made. Who the heck is writing this “I’m walking away to get better” crap. No, you’re not walking away. You’re being suspensed again and possibly banished from the league for your repeated failures. 

I had never really read into Gordon's past but came across this article.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/28/josh-gordon-interview-cleveland-browns-nfl

Brutal up bringing. 

If I was going to be a thug or a gangster,” Gordon says flatly, “I was going to be the best gangster out there.”

Gordon grew up with two older brothers in the Fondren neighborhood of southwest Houston, his family bouncing from apartment to apartment, he says, as eviction notices piled up, rarely able to turn on the lights. He describes being thrown out of two middle schools for stealing electronics from other students. He says he began smoking marijuana in seventh grade, taking Xanax in eighth—and still he managed to land a basketball scholarship to the private Westbury Christian School. He made it to 10th grade before he was thrown out of there as well.

There's no surprise that someone who went through stuff like that as a kid has trouble keeping their life together. It's funny in a sad way when people say, "Can't even stop smoking with millions on the line."

Almost nothing matters to people when it comes to addiction and mental illness. People will steal, lie, and deceive everyone they love if they're addicted. 

Hopefully he gets help and finds a way to a healthier life, if nothing else, so he can be there for his kids. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I agree. It's a really uneducated and ignorant POV to express.

Wrong, over the last 10 years i probably havent smoked 20 days total and had no reason to stop. Until I started looking for a new job, my current/next job wont pay jack, especially compared to his opportunity. Was it 4 failed tests in 5 years? He just sounds like a mentally weak person with no will power or ability to recognize what an opportunity he has been given.  Spoken by a weed "addict" with 0 will power. 

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

apparently it isn't addictive.....

they said cocaine wasn't either until the early 1980s....

oops....

33 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’ll wait to hear what he tested positive for before I weigh in on whether or not he “suffers from addiction.”  That phrase sees to be thrown around quite liberally now a days.

These are such misguided posts. You can become addicted to almost anything. People become addicted to shopping, gambling, working out, gaming, or whatever else. Just because something isn't "addicting" doesn't mean someone can't develop an addiction. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Wrong, over the last 10 years i probably havent smoked 20 days total and had no reason to stop. Until I started looking for a new job, my current/next job wont pay jack, especially compared to his opportunity. Was it 4 failed tests in 5 years? He just sounds like a mentally weak person with no will power or ability to recognize what an opportunity he has been given.  Spoken by a weed "addict" with 0 will power. 

Your situation isn't his. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I'm with you.  Weed is not an addiction, it's a will power issue.

• Like (+1) 1