Josh Allen: NBC Sports Boston Reporter Shares The “Blueprint” To Beat Him

20 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Lol it's also what everyone else has done this season, and he's been awful.

Forgive me if I don't put much stock in a win against Matt Patricia in the Lions & think he'll play the same way against Bill Belichick & the Patriots -_-

It's funny that fans will pretend they only remember the exceptions to the rule while ignoring the rule itself. It's been a common occurrence this year, and it's shocking people haven't learned from being burned so many times.

On the flip side, if Allen gets stomped by the Patriots, I won't blame him as much as I would any other week. It's the Patriots, we're the Bills. They have destroyed us for nearly 2 decades now. If I were Allen, I'd just sling away. If you lose, oh well. So did every other Bills QB - REPEATEDLY. If you win, you look like a million bucks. So go for broke.

Are we just going to ignore the 3 games previous to the Lions game where he got over 100 rushing yards?

6 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Right but I'm ok with Gilmore tracking a ball 50 yards down the feild 1 on 1 or any NE defender.  The deep cross is something Gilmore cant defend 1 on 1.  Now I do see Gilmore on Jones and erasing him from existing.  Foster like Hill will have chances.  Does him and Allen connect on them.

This makes no logical sense... the Pats just limited JuJu and Brown to 8 catches 80 yards and 1 TD.. I don’t see ANYONE on Buffalo who is anywhere near either of them talent wise. (As WR)

21 hours ago, SCBills said:

Max Kellerman said on First Take the other day, when discussing the Pats never having to deal with QB's in the AFCE,  "Sam Darnold is still a baby and the Jets and Bills don't have QB's."

I don't mind criticism, and Allen deserves some - he needs to work on his accuracy/touch and hitting his checkdowns, but it's really obnoxious that these people make comments like this and clearly don't watch Josh Allen or the Buffalo Bills.

There's a reason why the actual NFL guys, who watch tape and delve into analytics, like Josh Allen.  There's also a reason why lazy ESPN types parrot the false narrative that he's a runner who can't throw. 

I cannot wait to get some OL & WR upgrades for next year so JA can shut these clowns up.

Calling Max Kellerman obnoxious is like calling water wet

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Lol it's also what everyone else has done this season, and he's been awful.

Forgive me if I don't put much stock in a win against Matt Patricia in the Lions & think he'll play the same way against Bill Belichick & the Patriots -_-

It's funny that fans will pretend they only remember the exceptions to the rule while ignoring the rule itself. It's been a common occurrence this year, and it's shocking people haven't learned from being burned so many times.

On the flip side, if Allen gets stomped by the Patriots, I won't blame him as much as I would any other week. It's the Patriots, we're the Bills. They have destroyed us for nearly 2 decades now. If I were Allen, I'd just sling away. If you lose, oh well. So did every other Bills QB - REPEATEDLY. If you win, you look like a million bucks. So go for broke.

Belichick and McDaniels wouldn't have either but the Patricia led Lions punched the Patriots in the mouth and beat their ***** 26-10 earlier in the season. :lol:

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

Not surprising.   If we weren't Bills fans, would we want to watch entire games of this team?...     

They saw  the fanbase boasting that  Anderson would dominate earlier this season

Edited by row_33

22 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/josh-allen-stat-gives-patriots-blueprint-beat-bills-week-16

This morning, I came across this article from NBC Sports Boston.  I was trying to find news on Josh Allen and saw a headline about a a “blueprint” to beat Josh Allen.  

It’s clear that the author of this article hasn’t watch any Bills games, outside of the highlights on ESPN.

He says the Patriots need to keep Josh Allen in the pocket because he’s among one of the lowest ranked among passers.

What he fails to mention is that this was the same strategy employed by former Patriots DC Matt Patricia last week.  It didn’t really work and Allen was steady and competent, though not great, when passing from the pocket.  

This is a common problem I have seen as a Bills fan - most people outside of Buffalo really don’t have a good grasp of what’s going on.  They read stats/ or watch highlights but have zero context.  

To be fair, if you think you are a better team- steady and competent isn’t as scary as explosive and unpredictable.

one of my favorite (and least favorite) stats was our record with Scott chandler having “big games.” We weren’t good because he wasn’t putting up big plays. Easy to contain volume stats are fine if you are confident you are going to score. If I were gameplanning again allen I’d say make him throw a ton of short/intermediate passes. Bills might still win but if he’s running and gunning a volatile outcome of buffalo upsetting seems more likely 

23 hours ago, SCBills said:

Meh... I definitely don't put that all on Allen.  You can very easily say "there are going to be drives where we run on 1st down for negative yardage, OL has a false start/holding, and Josh Allen has to convert a 3rd and 12" or you can also very easily say "there are going to be drives where Deonta Thompson, Zay Jones or Charles Clay drop a 20-30 yard gain."

I don't think Bad Ol was putting it all on Allen.

I believe it was more to the point, "this is the correct blueprint to shut down the Bills offense at this point in time"

On 12/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, whatdrought said:

Seems like, from what I’ve seen, the way to beat Josh is a sellout blitz on every passing play with a Hail Mary prayer that you stay in your lanes and get him and that he doesn’t get past you.

His biggest weakness isn’t his accuracy, it’s his inability to make quick throws. He’s gotten better, but that’s still his issue. 

This is the only real concern i have for the kid in the future. He has to learn when the quick throw for 5 yards is the best option. Few qbs are good at this early in career so i i am still optimistic.

12 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Yes but than does he allow a bad team to run on him? You playing man 1 with the safety over top foster all game? Imo th sneaky thing about Allen and foster is how long Allen holds it til he throws deep.  Its deeper than any team can practice. Hoyers not testing that defense. 

They could always put a jugs machine back there...

On 12/20/2018 at 3:56 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Meh. It's exactly what Matt Patricia did last week and Allen made plenty of plays from the pocket.  They made him "Be a Quarterback" and he was just that. 

Wouldnt u say they did a good job holding us to 14pts. I think any team will expect to win that holds there opponent to 14. I love JA but he needs and hopefully will develop into a QB that can consistently throw darts accurately from the pocket.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Wouldnt u say they did a good job holding us to 14pts. I think any team will expect to win that holds there opponent to 14. I love JA but he needs and hopefully will develop into a QB that can consistently throw darts accurately from the pocket.

That's one of the next steps for Allen with more consistency to sustain offense with more scoring drives.  He'll also need help with a running game he can rely on that begins with better OL play.  It was nevertheless a good performance by Allen from the pocket. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2018 at 2:51 AM, Warcodered said:

Are we just going to ignore the 3 games previous to the Lions game where he got over 100 rushing yards?

On 12/21/2018 at 5:31 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Belichick and McDaniels wouldn't have either but the Patricia led Lions punched the Patriots in the mouth and beat their ***** 26-10 earlier in the season. :lol:

Just goes to show how predictable Allen is... He can look decent (mostly on the ground) against bad teams, but when we play good teams he disappears. If your expectation for good QB play is how well they can run the ball then sure, Allen can even do that on occasion against decent teams, but if you want him to do what other successful QB's do & be a good a passer, it's not happening.

4 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Just goes to show how predictable Allen is... He can look decent (mostly on the ground) against bad teams, but when we play good teams he disappears. If your expectation for good QB play is how well they can run the ball then sure, Allen can even do that on occasion against decent teams, but if you want him to do what other successful QB's do & be a good a passer, it's not happening.

Not yet anyway. Another rooke QB who was taken to school by Belichick. All part of the learning process.  You want your cookie to be chocolate chip? 

Patriots defense did not do jack *****.

Bills themselves mostly and refs on 1 TD did them in.

1 TD: Foster forgot his Foster Grants and went back to can't track a train.

2 TD: Bills receivers dropped one TD(Thomas) and on same series one play before, MaKenzie was pushed away from the ball in end zone. Even announcers said it was PI all day.

3 TD: Foster should have caught the backdoor in front of Gilmore for a TD.

4 TD: Croom croomed the ball on the 5 yd line.

28 freaking points there for the taking.

Edited by cba fan

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The key to beating Josh Allen is just play your normal defense. He isn’t good. 

He isn’t good?

Not even sure what that means.  He’s a very promising rookie in what will likely be the best rookie QB class in many years.