Josh Allen: NBC Sports Boston Reporter Shares The “Blueprint” To Beat Him

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/josh-allen-stat-gives-patriots-blueprint-beat-bills-week-16

This morning, I came across this article from NBC Sports Boston.  I was trying to find news on Josh Allen and saw a headline about a a “blueprint” to beat Josh Allen.  

It’s clear that the author of this article hasn’t watch any Bills games, outside of the highlights on ESPN.

He says the Patriots need to keep Josh Allen in the pocket because he’s among one of the lowest ranked among passers.

What he fails to mention is that this was the same strategy employed by former Patriots DC Matt Patricia last week.  It didn’t really work and Allen was steady and competent, though not great, when passing from the pocket.  

This is a common problem I have seen as a Bills fan - most people outside of Buffalo really don’t have a good grasp of what’s going on.  They read stats/ or watch highlights but have zero context.  

Interestingly, there’s one QB noticeably absent from the league leaders. Ahem...Tommy Boy. Maybe they should look in the mirror. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Meh... I definitely don't put that all on Allen.  You can very easily say "there are going to be drives where we run on 1st down for negative yardage, OL has a false start/holding, and Josh Allen has to convert a 3rd and 12" or you can also very easily say "there are going to be drives where Deonta Thompson, Zay Jones or Charles Clay drop a 20-30 yard gain."

The Bills OL is a weakness.......their receiving corps is not good...........their running backs have been ineffective all season.

It's dumb for a team to let Allen run for 100 yards and sustain drives all day.

Keep the spy in.......contain him.......use that gap integrity to stuff the running game and make Zay Jones,  Robert Foster and Deonte Thompson beat you.

My guess is Gilmore will be on Foster Sunday...........Zay has not been able to get open now that he's been getting more attention the past two weeks..........but I think Belichick will try to take away Foster and take his chances with Jones and Thompson.

• Like (+1) 1

Bellychick has always prided himself on being able to scheme away for the entirety of a game, at least one of the main attack patterns of the opposing offenses (be it a specific playmaker, or style of play such as run-heavy or pass-heavy). I can't wait to see what he dials up for this game and how Allen will respond. Now that Hoodie has seen what Patricia did, will he try to emulate that and rely on TB12 being better than Stafford to pull out the W? IMHO the Pats D is no better than the Lions in terms of shut down personnel, so there should be opportunities for Allen to make them pay, whichever way they decide to play him. Can't wait for this game to start!!! 

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills OL is a weakness.......their receiving corps is not good...........their running backs have been ineffective all season.

Keep the spy in.......contain him.......use that gap integrity to stuff the running game and make Zay Jones,  Robert Foster and Deonte Thompson beat you.

My guess is Gilmore will be on Foster Sunday...........Zay has not been able to get open now that he's been getting more attention the past two weeks..........but I think Belichick will try to take away Foster and take his chances with Jones and Thompson.

I'm really hoping to see a big game from Zay before this season ends.  He's quickly losing my interest as I'd much rather see Allen targeting Foster and McKenzie.   I agree that Foster has emerged as the guy teams will slide coverage to. 

One thing is for sure, this is about as excited as I can ever imagine myself getting for a game where we're wildly out of playoff contention.

Edited by SCBills

He is not wrong.

Josh Allen is definitely progressing as a passer.  But he's not there yet.  If I was a defensive coordinator facing him on Sunday, my strategy would be to keep him in the pocket and limit the damage he can do on the ground.  At this point, he's less dangerous with his arm than with his legs, and more prone to mistakes/turnovers.

Just like the blueprint to "beat" Tom Brady has always been to get pressure up the middle from the front 4, then play strong press coverage on the back-end.  That doesn't mean that every team trying to employ this strategy will be successful against the Patriots.  It just means that you have a better chance playing this way, than with blitzing and playing a soft zone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

He is not wrong.

Josh Allen is definitely progressing as a passer.  But he's not there yet.  If I was a defensive coordinator facing him on Sunday, my strategy would be to keep him in the pocket and limit the damage he can do on the ground.  At this point, he's less dangerous with his arm than with his legs, and more prone to mistakes/turnovers.

Just like the blueprint to "beat" Tom Brady has always been to get pressure up the middle from the front 4, then play strong press coverage on the back-end.  That doesn't mean that every team trying to employ this strategy will be successful against the Patriots.  It just means that you have a better chance playing this way, than with blitzing and playing a soft zone.

I agree that if I was a DC my plan would be to keep Allen in the pocket because I think, at this point in his career, it is the best strategy. But there is a difference in saying its the best strategy and saying its a "blueprint to win" by just throwing his in-pocket stats and declaring "he cant throw from the pocket".

It really comes down to how confidently you make the "blueprint" statement and in the article he seems assured that if Josh stays in the pocket he will be awful.

32 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Seems like, from what I’ve seen, the way to beat Josh is a sellout blitz on every passing play with a Hail Mary prayer that you stay in your lanes and get him and that he doesn’t get past you.

His biggest weakness isn’t his accuracy, it’s his inability to make quick throws. He’s gotten better, but that’s still his issue. 

You beat the blitz with short throws to receivers underneath.  I would shocked if this isn’t something the Bills haven’t been preparing for.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

You beat the blitz with short throws to receivers underneath.  I would shocked if this isn’t something the Bills haven’t been preparing for.

I certainly hope so- I’m just pointing out that so far, that hasn’t been a strong suit of the offense

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/josh-allen-stat-gives-patriots-blueprint-beat-bills-week-16

This morning, I came across this article from NBC Sports Boston.  I was trying to find news on Josh Allen and saw a headline about a a “blueprint” to beat Josh Allen.  

It’s clear that the author of this article hasn’t watch any Bills games, outside of the highlights on ESPN.

He says the Patriots need to keep Josh Allen in the pocket because he’s among one of the lowest ranked among passers.

What he fails to mention is that this was the same strategy employed by former Patriots DC Matt Patricia last week.  It didn’t really work and Allen was steady and competent, though not great, when passing from the pocket.  

This is a common problem I have seen as a Bills fan - most people outside of Buffalo really don’t have a good grasp of what’s going on.  They read stats/ or watch highlights but have zero context.  

Umm it worked, the bills scored 2 TDs and that’s it.. the D won that game last week not the O.  Just like the Pats O cost them the game against Pitt. 

10 minutes ago, jletha said:

I agree that if I was a DC my plan would be to keep Allen in the pocket because I think, at this point in his career, it is the best strategy. But there is a difference in saying its the best strategy and saying its a "blueprint to win" by just throwing his in-pocket stats and declaring "he cant throw from the pocket".

It really comes down to how confidently you make the "blueprint" statement and in the article he seems assured that if Josh stays in the pocket he will be awful.

I like our cover guys against your WR as well if they can keep JuJu and Brown in check I don’t see anyone on the Bills that they shouldn’t be able to contain.  My biggest fear is Allen running all over the D.  The game plan should be stop the run and force Allen to throw it to beat them.

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was thinking they would most likely try and take away Foster, which means DT will need to make the deep plays. It would be a major step forward for Allen if they can get 17-20 Sunday. A tall task...

Wait a minute. He's 79.3% from the pocket as a rookie with most of the season throwing to stone hands KB? Not to mention he's a rookie. 

Nice. And what has he been since coming back from injury? 

It looks like the blue print to beat Tom Brady is to cover his WR for the 1st 10 yards and then you can play loose and just pick up the lame ducks as they float to the ground. 

6 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Umm it worked, the bills scored 2 TDs and that’s it.. the D won that game last week not the O.  Just like the Pats O cost them the game against Pitt. 

I like our cover guys against your WR as well if they can keep JuJu and Brown in check I don’t see anyone on the Bills that they shouldn’t be able to contain.  My biggest fear is Allen running all over the D.  The game plan should be stop the run and force Allen to throw it to beat them.

Did you even watch a minute of the Bills game? Honest question.

The Bills are basically fielding a pre season offence out there. No one on this offence can block or catch the ball outside of Foster as of late..

Scoring 2 TDs and getting 313 yards of offence is a below average game for an NFL offence of course, but for Allen to accomplish that with basically 2nd-4th string players all across the board, that in itself is impressive.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Did you even watch a minute of the Bills game? Honest question.

The Bills are basically fielding a pre season offence out there. No one on this offence can block or catch the ball outside of Foster as of late..

Scoring 2 TDs and getting 313 yards of offence is a below average game for an NFL offence of course, but for Allen to accomplish that with basically 2nd-4th string players all across the board, that in itself is impressive.

I like Allen! I also know he has no talent really around him as well.  That’s why the plan is solid.. you force him to throw more likely than not your going to succeed.. now when he has more talent around him we will see, we don’t know yet :)

i just saw highlights the game wasnt available up here.

Edited by PatsFanNH

48 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

That's what you get for watching ESPN.  It is the worst "sports" network in history.

Haha, holy hyperbole Batman. fox sports and Skip Bayless takes are where it’s at!!!

and of course this is the gameplan.  It’s the Mile Vick plan.  He will dominate for 8 games, teams adjust, and then he struggles.  For Allen to take the next step, even though he has never thrown an inaccurate pass according to some posters :) , he needs to a much better pocket passer.  He certainly has the ability so I hope it happens.

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

I like Allen! I also know he has no talent really around him as well.  That’s why the plan is solid.. you force him to throw more likely than not your going to succeed.. now when he has more talent around him we will see, we don’t know yet :)

i just saw highlights the game wasnt available up here.

Ahh ok fair points!

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Meh. It's exactly what Matt Patricia did last week and Allen made plenty of plays from the pocket.  They made him "Be a Quarterback" and he was just that. 

We scored 13 points, 13, he was 50% completion and had a few passes that could have been intercepted.  If he does the same versus the Pats no way we win.   Plus The fact the Lions missed 4 points of reasonable kick points.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Meh. It's exactly what Matt Patricia did last week and Allen made plenty of plays from the pocket.  They made him "Be a Quarterback" and he was just that. 

Made plenty of plays.....and we scored 14 points.

52 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly this.  Until Josh, our OL and our WRs can produce consistently passing from the pocket, teams have to spy him.  He’s shows he can consistently beat a defense for big chunks when able to get out of the pocket.  If I’m a DC facing the Bills. I’d do everything I could to keep him inside the pocket .

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

We scored 13 points, 13, he was 50% completion and had a few passes that could have been intercepted.  If he does the same versus the Pats no way we win.   Plus The fact the Lions missed 4 points of reasonable kick points.

Beyond the stats,  consider the following:

43 yard PI call on a beautifully thrown ball to Foster to set up the 1st TD that was run in by Allen. The narrow miss on the deep pass to Deonte Thompson that was a great throw and read by Allen.  The intermediate throw to Zay Jones OTM that was a tad high, but I consider it a dropped pass. Again a great read.  Zay also had at least one other pass he could have come down with.  Allen had a couple he got away with, but let's chalk that up to his inexperience.  Allen had a good day in the pocket with the Lions' D limiting opportunities to extend plays to either throw or make plays with his legs.  It was a good day for Allen on the progress and growth chart.

The NE offense isn't some juggernaut these days and losing Gordon won't help their cause.

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Yesterday, I sent a message to a reporter at the Washington Post who was ranking on Allen as well.  Told him his teammates and the fans love him and to watch Josh instead of reading the stat line.  Ignorance is bliss.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beyond the stats,  consider the following:

43 yard PI call on a beautifully thrown ball to Foster to set up the 1st TD that was run in by Allen. The narrow miss on the deep pass to Deonte Thompson that was a great throw and read by Allen.  The intermediate throw to Zay Jones OTM that was a tad high, but I consider it a dropped pass. Again a great read.  Zay also had at least one other pass he could have come down with.  Allen had a couple he got away with, but let's chalk that up to his inexperience.  Allen had a good day in the pocket with the Lions' D limiting opportunities to extend plays to either throw or make plays with his legs.  It was a good day for Allen on the progress and growth chart.

The NE offense isn't some juggernaut these days and losing Gordon won't help their cause.

My God if you analyzed every QB like that they would all be franchise QBs, NFL is a game of inches, you either get it done or you dont.

And to quote you, "Allen had a couple he got away with, but let's chalk that up to his inexperience. "  Doesnt matter why, results matter, he isnt going to be that much more experienced a week later.

I stand by my point 13 points versus the Pats in Foxboro. odds of us winning that are 1%.  I think the much maligned reporter in this thread is correct, keep J Allen in the pocket to win.