Josh Allen: NBC Sports Boston Reporter Shares The “Blueprint” To Beat Him

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/josh-allen-stat-gives-patriots-blueprint-beat-bills-week-16

This morning, I came across this article from NBC Sports Boston.  I was trying to find news on Josh Allen and saw a headline about a a “blueprint” to beat Josh Allen.  

It’s clear that the author of this article hasn’t watch any Bills games, outside of the highlights on ESPN.

He says the Patriots need to keep Josh Allen in the pocket because he’s among one of the lowest ranked among passers.

What he fails to mention is that this was the same strategy employed by former Patriots DC Matt Patricia last week.  It didn’t really work and Allen was steady and competent, though not great, when passing from the pocket.  

This is a common problem I have seen as a Bills fan - most people outside of Buffalo really don’t have a good grasp of what’s going on.  They read stats/ or watch highlights but have zero context.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Even if that blueprint is the exact way to beat Allen. Good luck keeping him in the pocket. 

Meh. It's exactly what Matt Patricia did last week and Allen made plenty of plays from the pocket.  They made him "Be a Quarterback" and he was just that. 

• Like (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Meh. It's exactly what Matt Patricia did last week and Allen made plenty of plays from the pocket.  They made him "Be a Quarterback" and he was just that. 

Right, but the Lions have been effective at keeping running qbs at bay all season. Even if that was the way to beat Allen ( which it wasn’t) I doubt the Patriots D would even be able to pull it off. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

Max Kellerman said on First Take the other day, when discussing the Pats never having to deal with QB's in the AFCE,  "Sam Darnold is still a baby and the Jets and Bills don't have QB's."

I don't mind criticism, and Allen deserves some - he needs to work on his accuracy/touch and hitting his checkdowns, but it's really obnoxious that these people make comments like this and clearly don't watch Josh Allen or the Buffalo Bills.

There's a reason why the actual NFL guys, who watch tape and delve into analytics, like Josh Allen.  There's also a reason why lazy ESPN types parrot the false narrative that he's a runner who can't throw. 

I cannot wait to get some OL & WR upgrades for next year so JA can shut these clowns up.

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was pleased with Allen's progress last week...........but they only scored 14 points.

At this point the blueprint is accurate.

There are going to be drives where Allen is inaccurate from the pocket and there are going to be drives where receivers don't make plays.

If you let him run you allow the Bills to move the chains more.......possibly lose field position battles all day.........and at worst get nickeled and dimed with field goals on drives that are otherwise 3 and outs.

It's wise to make him beat you from the pocket and it's also in the best interest of the Bills and Josh Allen to get THIS kind of experience.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Yes, the Pats will only rise to the level the Lions could with the same plan.

LOL

the play of the game was the Lions kicker biffing the winning FG

:doh: They should know first hand from when they were shut down in a 26-10 loss to the Lions. Now sit down! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Max Kellerman said on First Take the other day, when discussing the Pats never having to deal with QB's in the AFCE,  "Sam Darnold is still a baby and the Jets and Bills don't have QB's."

I don't mind criticism, and Allen deserves some - he needs to work on his accuracy/touch and hitting his checkdowns, but it's really obnoxious that these people make comments like this and clearly don't watch Josh Allen or the Buffalo Bills.

There's a reason why the actual NFL guys, who watch tape and delve into analytics, like Josh Allen.  There's also a reason why lazy ESPN types parrot the false narrative that he's a runner who can't throw. 

I cannot wait to get some OL & WR upgrades for next year so JA can shut these clowns up.

That's what you get for watching ESPN.  It is the worst "sports" network in history.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was pleased with Allen's progress last week...........but they only scored 14 points.

At this point the blueprint is accurate.

There are going to be drives where Allen is inaccurate from the pocket and there are going to be drives where receivers don't make plays.

If you let him run you allow the Bills to move the chains more.......possibly lose field position battles all day.........and at worst get nickeled and dimed with field goals on drives that are otherwise 3 and outs.

It's wise to make him beat you from the pocket and it's also in the best interest of the Bills and Josh Allen to get THIS kind of experience.

Meh... I definitely don't put that all on Allen.  You can very easily say "there are going to be drives where we run on 1st down for negative yardage, OL has a false start/holding, and Josh Allen has to convert a 3rd and 12" or you can also very easily say "there are going to be drives where Deonta Thompson, Zay Jones or Charles Clay drop a 20-30 yard gain."

• Like (+1) 2

Seems like, from what I’ve seen, the way to beat Josh is a sellout blitz on every passing play with a Hail Mary prayer that you stay in your lanes and get him and that he doesn’t get past you.

His biggest weakness isn’t his accuracy, it’s his inability to make quick throws. He’s gotten better, but that’s still his issue. 

• Like (+1) 4