So I put in an offer on a house today

Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

What's the homestead credit y'all get?

For us it’s like $250/year or some such nominal amount. In Florida you had to be able to prove you spent more than 6 months/yr there, but homestead guaranteed you could only jack up the taxes 2-3%/year.  Properties owned by the same owners for decades might only show $5k in taxes, but upon transfer it goes to fair market value tax, which might be $35k. Ouch! Big surprise if you don’t have a decent agent! 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

For us it’s like $250/year or some such nominal amount. In Florida you had to be able to prove you spent more than 6 months/yr there, but homestead guaranteed you could only jack up the taxes 2-3%/year.  Properties owned by the same owners for decades might only show $5k in taxes, but upon transfer it goes to fair market value tax, which might be $35k. Ouch! Big surprise if you don’t have a decent agent! 

Interesting. I'd thought it was something else.

Some municipalities, states, etc offer tax reductions if you meet certain agricultural criteria. Houston had something about growing so much of your own food at one point. New Jersey, whjere bon Jovi owns a house has one that per bee hive you get a reduction and he ends up paying a fraction of his property tax.   

8 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Interesting. I'd thought it was something else.

Some municipalities, states, etc offer tax reductions if you meet certain agricultural criteria. Houston had something about growing so much of your own food at one point. New Jersey, whjere bon Jovi owns a house has one that per bee hive you get a reduction and he ends up paying a fraction of his property tax.   

In Sarasota, FL it was amusing to drive around and see large parcels (many acres) that had a handful of cows, with lots of elbow room. As long as you had some cows on it, even if it was in the middle of what is now “in-town”, you got the agricultural tax rate.....until they threw 100 houses up on the site. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

In Sarasota, FL it was amusing to drive around and see large parcels (many acres) that had a handful of cows, with lots of elbow room. As long as you had some cows on it, even if it was in the middle of what is now “in-town”, you got the agricultural tax rate.....until they threw 100 houses up on the site. 

I believe you're familiar with Charlotte from past conversations, that or I'm old and forget everything.

Buddy of mine's father owned about 100 acres in Concord just West of Concord Mills back in the 90's. Concord Mills Mall is about 1.5mm sq ft of shops and stores with a whole little city around it of fast food and other places.  They sold that land to the developer and ended up able to get 300 acres in Wadesboro, an hour east of CLT, and pocket millions. those houses start growing in the pastures you're gonna make some money

Maybe Kirby can buck the trend and throw some cows in the backyard!

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I believe you're familiar with Charlotte from past conversations, that or I'm old and forget everything.

Buddy of mine's father owned about 100 acres in Concord just West of Concord Mills back in the 90's. Concord Mills Mall is about 1.5mm sq ft of shops and stores with a whole little city around it of fast food and other places.  They sold that land to the developer and ended up able to get 300 acres in Wadesboro, an hour east of CLT, and pocket millions. those houses start growing in the pastures you're gonna make some money

Maybe Kirby can buck the trend and throw some cows in the backyard!

The wife is from Rock Hill, SC, just below Charlotte, but I don’t know the surrounding area well. Lot’s of relatives in Charlotte. 

Kirby may rent some of the Chik-Fil-A cows a bedroom! They seem friendly and well intentioned, and they must get paid well for that gig. Just a thought......

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

The wife is from Rock Hill, SC, just below Charlotte, but I don’t know the surrounding area well. Lot’s of relatives in Charlotte. 

Kirby may rent some of the Chik-Fil-A cows a bedroom! They seem friendly and well intentioned, and they must get paid well for that gig. Just a thought......

Are you trying to set Kirby up for cows in the bedroom jokes?

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Are you trying to set Kirby up for cows in the bedroom jokes?

Would I do that? 

It’s more of a tenant thing. He has extra rooms. And if they can pay the rent, but happen to hit it off on another level......

I’m not a guy who likes to judge. 

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

What's the homestead credit y'all get?

Its pretty boring. You can claim the first $75k of property value tax free on one property. If you’ve ever wondered why Nola’s infrastructure is a mess, it all makes sense when you see how many properties produce zero revenue. Post Katrina property values spiking helps though.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Its pretty boring. You can claim the first $75k of property value tax free on one property. If you’ve ever wondered why Nola’s infrastructure is a mess, it all makes sense when you see how many properties produce zero revenue. Post Katrina property values spiking helps though.

That makes sense in terms of protecting the lower valued properties. Florida leans more toward punishing out of state folks. If you are a part timer your taxes could go up 8% instead of 2%. Over a decade or three we are talking about real money! 

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:55 AM, Gray Beard said:

I had my roof done after thirty years with no leaks.  Now, a year and a half later, I just noticed water dripping down the front of the fireplace chimney.  On Wednesday I will be calling the roofer. Let the games begin!

I had this problem. The first thing the roofers are going to check is the flashing around the chimney on the roof. This is usually the cause of the leak. However, if they check the flashing or even go so far as to redo it and you still have leakage down your chimney then the cause could be from the wear and tear of the bricks and mortar. (I don't want to scare you but if you still have the same water problem then you might have to have the mortar on your chimney redone from top to bottom, even including below the ground. I had to have that done and the lower part of the chimney below the ground re-tared.

The roofers can use cameras and get a sense of what the issue is. But sometimes it is very difficult to determine. I got so frustrated repeatedly calling in people without getting a fix. Once the problem was properly diagnosed then the solution followed. Good luck. Again, I don't want to scare you but it has to be properly addressed or you are going to have complications from the water damage. 

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I had this problem. The first thing the roofers are going to check is the flashing around the chimney on the roof. This is usually the cause of the leak. However, if they check the flashing or even go so far as to redo it and you still have leakage down your chimney then the cause could be from the wear and tear of the bricks and mortar. (I don't want to scare you but if you still have the same water problem then you might have to have the mortar on your chimney redone from top to bottom, even including below the ground. I had to have that done and the lower part of the chimney below the ground re-tared.

The roofers can use cameras and get a sense of what the issue is. But sometimes it is very difficult to determine. I got so frustrated repeatedly calling in people without getting a fix. Once the problem was properly diagnosed then the solution followed. Good luck. Again, I don't want to scare you but it has to be properly addressed or you are going to have complications from the water damage. 

The roofers showed up yesterday by surprise, no advance phone call.  They put some black caulk over some nail heads that were exposed near the chimney.  They also put some black caulk around the edges of the flashing. They mentioned that the mortar didn’t look good, and I asked them to put some caulk in some of the cracks in the mortar as well.   I know the chimney needs attention, I just hope it can wait until spring.  I hate the idea of chimney repair in the winter, I worry that the quality of the material and the workmanship won’t be as good in cold, miserable weather.

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

The roofers showed up yesterday by surprise, no advance phone call.  They put some black caulk over some nail heads that were exposed near the chimney.  They also put some black caulk around the edges of the flashing. They mentioned that the mortar didn’t look good, and I asked them to put some caulk in some of the cracks in the mortar as well.   I know the chimney needs attention, I just hope it can wait until spring.  I hate the idea of chimney repair in the winter, I worry that the quality of the material and the workmanship won’t be as good in cold, miserable weather.

I strongly recommend that you do check around and find the best contractors you can find. The work that this crew did is a standard response to your problem. That doesn't mean that it will be permanently fixed. I agree with you that doing chimney work in the winter might make it challenging to permanently fix the problem.

As I stated in my prior post the challenge was finding where the leak was coming in from. Once that was discovered then the solution followed.  Good luck!

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 10:32 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Had the inspection on Wednesday. There were some items that needed to be finished but nothing major. We asked them to complete all of it because it’s new construction. My realtor said a lot of these things wouldn’t be asked for on an older house but since it’s new we will ask for all of it. We are still on schedule to close on the 18th. 

WELL???

Does @Kirby Jackson have an update for us? 

P.S. - I’m busy the day you move. 

Edited by Augie

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Closing is delayed until the end of the month. I didn’t get them everything on time but it’s all there now.

Sadly, that’s not at all unusual. Good luck staying on track. 

While I’m still busy on moving day, I can clear my busy schedule for the housewarming party!

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Just realized that I haven’t updated this in a while. I am in the house now. Still working on unpacking some things and adding more stuff. So far though, I love it!!

whens the housewarming party all your TBD friends are invited to?