Probowl selections - No Bills Selected

One Buffalo

We're not having the season we had last year so no pub for our guys. Outside of Buffalo fans not many people know the players on our team because of this. I would have thought Milano might have been an alternate or something because he was having a good season. Either way, it really doesn't mean much. Good for Kyle though as he is nearing the end of the line. 

Edited by H2o

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Is this a surprise?  There is not really any elite talent on this roster, like none.  Yeah Milano had a good year before getting hurt, but the linebacker spot is more competitive for purposes of the Pro Bowl.

I am still waiting for Brandon Beane to demonstrate some semblance of hope that he can scout and acquire talent.  I haven't seen it.  So far he has assembled one of the least-talented (maybe THE least-talented) roster in the NFL.  It's really easy to orchestrate a tear-down - at some point soon he'll have to show that he can actually build something.  I'm very skeptical.

As I said to a buddy the other day - the construction of the Bills' 2018 roster borders on negligent homicide - and I'm the corpse.

I totally agree.  Fans whining about good Bills players being "ignored" by the Pro Bowl selectors obviously don't watch other teams.  The best players on the 2018 would likely be JAGs on any of the current playoff teams in either conferences.  Fans expecting the Bills to become real contenders for the playoffs in 2019 are in for a rude awakening.  Talent counts, and McDermott/Beane haven't shown that they can recognize talent, much less figure out how to acquire it to build a successful NFL roster.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

We're not having the season we had last year so no pub for our guys. Outside of Buffalo fans not many people know the players on our team because of this. I would have thought Milano might have been an alternate or something because he was having a good season. Either way, it really doesn't mean much. Good for Kyle though as he is nearing the end of the line. 

Bull manure.  The Bills that made the Pro Bowl for the Bills last season are either not on the roster or didn't have good years.

8 hours ago, 947 said:

Say what you want about Tre'Davious, but there is no way in hell that Stephon Gilmore belongs in the Pro Bowl. If not Tre, somebody else got robbed of that spot.

Based on performance in this season alone - he absolutely does. He has been outstanding this season. Not sure how Xavien Howard is ahead of Tre and how are Casey Hayward and Desmond King not there? Maybe they felt the Chargers already had too many representatives and rigged it a bit?

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Is this a surprise?  There is not really any elite talent on this roster, like none.  Yeah Milano had a good year before getting hurt, but the linebacker spot is more competitive for purposes of the Pro Bowl.

Hmm... Tre White if not there is very close. He is the only one even in a discussion for elite status at his position in my mind. We have some other good players - the safeties, Hughes, Milano.... Lorenzo has had a terrific year too... but none of them are elite or can even have that much of a gripe with missing the pro bowl.

The Bills have the number three defense (3rd aginst the pass, 9th against the rush) (DVOA) yet have no pro bowl representation. White should be in the conversation of elite corners and he and Milano should both be in consideration for the Pro Bowl based on their play through most of the year. However, the competition is tough at their positions and it is not an overwhelming shock they didn't get selected.

Personally, the defense's top 5 ranking says more to me about the coaching of McDermott and his staff than it does about elite talent - and I will take that all day, every day. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Need talent to win in this league.

They need a lot better offensive talent to take the next step next year. They'll only get so far with JAGs at most positions, even if Allen continues to develop.

And they need elite talent up front on defense too. That is a place where we have a lot of solid football players but no difference maker. If you can have a difference maker up front and a top end difference maker at corner the rest of your defense can be solid and JAG types.

Obviously on offense they need to be more talented everywhere around Allen really.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Need talent to win in this league.

They need a lot better offensive talent to take the next step next year. They'll only get so far with JAGs at most positions, even if Allen continues to develop.

My post was to the defense. They have some good young talent (although not elite talent outside of White, IMO) on that side of the ball and the coaching staff did a great job with it. They need to continue to add talent to that side of the ball; however, they need a drastic upgrade of talent on the offensive side of the ball. I do like Allen and I think he definitely has a chance to be the franchise QB this team has been looking for. They need to surround him with the talent he needs to prove he can be that QB.

I also like what Daboll has shown me over the last 4-5 weeks. I would like to see what he can do with more talent.

I'm pretty optimistic at this point.

12 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

Poyer, Hauscka, and White. Downside of playing in Buffalo.

More the downside of the team being 5-9. Poyer didn't come on until the back half of the season, Hauschka hasn't been as good compared to last year, and White getting beat 3x straight weeks especially Jets/Lions is not how you help your probowl candidacy as voting concludes.

Truthfully only Kyle Williams belongs the rest I just think needed to be more consistent. Had Milano been healthy he deserved to go.

• Like (+1) 1

The Pro Bowl is kind of like the Puppy Bowl anyhow. No one really plays with much effort. No one wants to risk injury. Personally, I think they should use it to honor players and actually invite college prospects to come show their stuff! Now THAT would be worth watching.

25 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Well, with the #2 defense in all of football you can understand why they are one of 3 teams to have no pro-bowl selections.

...said anyone who is a moron.

That does seem right Donuts, after all, they are not currently #1, for shame on them...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

That does seem right Donuts, after all, they are not currently #1, for shame on them...

We have the best record of any team in the NFL without a pro-bowler and 7 teams in the League that have our same record or worse have a pro-bowler.

We are the Mr. Cellophane of the nfl!

• Haha (+1) 1