Remember Will Smith, DE from Ohio State,

PIZ

Peppers is not a guy I would call "smallish" he's like 6'5 or 6'6 and like 278.  His size wasn't as much an issue as maintaining strength through the course of a game or a season i believe, however, it does show that for even the most dominant rookie DE's, there is a learning curve.

21878[/snapback]

True, he isn't small, but he's the smallest starter on Carolina's line. You think opposing offensive coordinators didn't factor that into their game plans?

howard schnelanbarger was coaching OSU. they played UM in ann arbor. the team buss ran out of gas on i-75 after the game as the OSU team lost. the were 1 mile from the ohio state line and toledo. coach told the players to get the fu@k out of the buss and push it to Ohio state line and buy their gas, as opposed to the michigan stevestojan gas. they players got out and pushed...

great story...

True, he isn't small, but he's the smallest starter on Carolina's line.  You think opposing offensive coordinators didn't factor that into their game plans?

21944[/snapback]

Sorry to nitpick over 8 lbs, but.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5888 = Peppers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4687 = Rucker

howard schnelanbarger was coaching OSU.  they played UM in ann arbor. the team buss ran out of gas on i-75 after the game as the OSU team lost.  the were 1 mile from the ohio state line and toledo.  coach told the players to get the fu@k out of the buss and push it to Ohio state line and buy their gas, as opposed to the michigan stevestojan gas.  they players got out and pushed...

great story...

21949[/snapback]

Did your story somehow get derived from this one???

Woody was famous for his hatred for Michigan and anything that had to do with the state (he referred to it, of course, as "that state up north" or "that team up north") . One night on a recruiting trip in the state of Michigan, an assistant noticed that the car he was driving was going to run out of gas. He let Woody, who was dozing in the passenger seat, that he had to pull over for gas. Woody refused, and the assistant drove on. The assistant, who saw the weather was starting to get bad, began to become worried about getting stuck in the middle of nowhere, and once again stressed his desire to pull over and get gas. Woody erupted: "No, goddammit! We do NOT pull in and fill up. And I'll tell you exactly why we don't. It's because I don't buy one goddam drop of gas in the state of Michigan! We'll coast and PUSH this goddam car to the Ohio line before I give this state a nickel of my money!" The assistant knew he wasn't kidding, and they barely made it across the border and sputtered into the first gas station they found in Ohio.

http://krepopfamily.com/woody_hayes.htm

From NFL.com

Mike Rucker - starting RDE 6'5" 275

Julius Peppers starting LDE 6'6" 283

Rucker is decent sized. Peppers is pretty big for a DE. Dwight Freeney is pretty small if you're looking for small DEs. Jason Taylor of Miami is tall but he's pretty light for a DE. His partnre at LDE is also pretty small, David Bowens 6'3" 260.

On the other end of the spectrum Houston with a 3-4 defence literally lines up three DTs together. Their ends weigh 320+.

howard schnelanbarger was coaching OSU.  they played UM in ann arbor. the team buss ran out of gas on i-75 after the game as the OSU team lost.  the were 1 mile from the ohio state line and toledo.  coach told the players to get the fu@k out of the buss and push it to Ohio state line and buy their gas, as opposed to the michigan stevestojan gas.   they players got out and pushed...

great story...

21949[/snapback]

Great story...except Howard coached UM.

I've got a Buckeyes Helmet and a Bills Helmet in the house, and upstairs we have 3 bedrooms.  We just painted our bathroom grey to go with the Scarlett OSU Shower Curtain, then we installed a Buckeyes Wall Border to finish it off.

So yeah, Go Buckeyes and  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Blue!

21911[/snapback]

Color me scarlett and grey with envy ! Awesome ! ;)

may your Stadium Pal overflow!!!!!

A Michigan student and an Ohio State student are both using the men's room. When they finish their business, the Michigan student heads for the door, while the Ohio State student heads for the sink. The Ohio dude calls to the Wolverine, "At Ohio State, they teach us to wash our hands after going to the bathroom." The Michigan guy replies, "At Michigan, they teach us not to pee on our hands."  ;)

21934[/snapback]

Actually, you don't piss on your hands, just all over that dump called Detroit. Nice city, pal.

I will.  I'll be interested to see if he holds up game in, game out.  He's even slighter than Julius Peppers, who learned a bit about how tough it is to be a smallish DE, even if you have great athletic ability (see the last Super Bowl for reference).  If he turns out to be a dynamic pass rusher, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about him.

21540[/snapback]

SLIGHT??? Peppers is 6-6 283. He is about as far opposite of a "smallish DE" as you can get.