13 dropped balls all season?????

Billsfan1972

13 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

The pass to Clay was catchable, but it was, most definitely, not perfect...in fact, in real time, it appeared low and away...but with a little more effort, the catch could have been made.

Clay shouldn't have been in the back of the endzone by that point in the play.  Once the play broke down you need to work back towards the qb... at least a little bit.  Allen threw the ball as hard as he could falling away.. can't ask much more from him.

32 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Allens zingers are way more zing than most if not ALL QB's..... and those finger tip grabs are not as possible at those velocities. Coming out of break and grabbing a football that's already on its way is easier at lower velocity and that will even haunt the best finger tip catchers WR's in the game

As for Allen's speed cutting down on INT's well it goes both ways then.. Our WR's will be having issues at high velocity just like Opposing D's. Its a double edge sword, so its up to Allen to learn when to zip it with all he's got and when to take a few MPH off the throw in any given situation.

Yes a full Allen camp next year will help the O

This wasn't true for Elway.  His receivers learned to look just a little quicker and to handle the speed.  The defenders never got used to it because they couldn't practice it.

It gave Elway an edge that others didn't have.  

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

McKenzie hasn't had any issues catching his passes. Foster hasn't either since leaving the practice squad. Just Zay and Clay and Benjamin, and they all had trouble catching the ball last year too. We don't need to make excuses. They are just bad.

Actually, Mc and Foster aren't targeted over the middle like Zay and Clay. Those are the throws that are getting on the receivers quickly.  And Zay is catching them. Clay is having trouble with them. 

None of the Bills receivers are worldbeaters, and upgrades will be welcome.  

Edited by Shaw66

10 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Exactly what I thought...low and away and far from a perfect throw... but with a little more effort on Clay’s part, the catch could have been made...great screen shot here.

It's called throwing a WR open.  If our NFL TE can only muster high school level speed then he shouldn't be out there.  To me the photos make it even more clear that he should have caught the ball.  Or another way to look at it is if you drop a pass like that you better make a spectacular catch to make up for it. 

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This wasn't true for Elway.  His receivers learned to look just a little quicker and to handle the speed.  The defenders never got used to it because they couldn't practice it.

It gave Elway an edge that others didn't have.  

Dude you do not know this.

Elway may have made a slight adjustment to his velocity that made a difference. Elway also had a long career and his early days were not much different then Allens. This signifies Elways may have also had very similar growing pains.

Yes the WR's will have to adjust to the velocity of Allens throws just the same but I do not blame some of the drops on WR's and I do not blame Allen either. Both need to make adjustments....  Yes we need upgrades and that will help but right now Allen has to adjust just the same> it will only make him better and more complete QB

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually, Mc and Foster aren't targeted over the middle like Zay and Clay.

I've seen both of them catch tough passes over the middle where a defender was on them immediately. In fact I'm pretty sure just about all our drops since Allen returned from injury have been Jones, Clay, and Thompson. Foster has miraculously found his hands and McKenzie doesn't have any issues holding the ball until he is running with it. Allen is never going to be a perfectly precise passer like Brady. Instead of expecting him to suddenly become that kind of QB, we just need to get pass catchers that can make small adjustments. That's what the Chiefs offense is built around. Mahomes isn't blowing up the record book by throwing the ball to an exact spot. He's using his athleticism and pure arm strength to get the ball in the area of his receivers and they're doing the rest.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Actually, I do know this.  It was regularly commented on by offensive and defensive players during Elway's career.   The receivers said it took nearly a year to get used to it, and it was obvious watching defenders be unprepared when the ball arrived. 

25 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Elway may have made a slight adjustment to his velocity that made a difference. Elway also had a long career and his early days were not much different then Allens. This signifies Elways may have also had very similar growing pains.

Yes the WR's will have to adjust to the velocity of Allens throws just the same but I do not blame some of the drops on WR's and I do not blame Allen either. Both need to make adjustments....  Yes we need upgrades and that will help but right now Allen has to adjust just the same> it will only make him better and more complete QB

Elway threw the ball way too hard throughout his career, i believe he learned to take it down a notch as he matured

Only Jeff George and Doug Williams threw it harder.

I was first base line at the ASG in Toronto when Rob Dibble picked up a routine no-hurry grounder to him and hurled it as hard as he could to first.  I forget the AllStar who fielded it but he stood there for a second and looked at his glove repeatedly as he walked back to the dugout

Edited by row_33

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Meh... it seems more like you don't like what the stats are so then you seem them not reliable.

Routinely making catches that can't be made is one of the worst sentences I've ever read. It makes absolutely no sense. 

What happened to Jordy after he left GB? You really think Jordy made Rodgers?

No......I’ve been watching all the games. 

It will be nice when I don't feel Bills are dropping 100% catchable throws

or repeatedly doing this, things happen out there

Brady's crew dropped 3 of them last Sunday

Edited by row_33

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've seen both of them catch tough passes over the middle where a defender was on them immediately. In fact I'm pretty sure just about all our drops since Allen returned from injury have been Jones, Clay, and Thompson. Foster has miraculously found his hands and McKenzie doesn't have any issues holding the ball until he is running with it. Allen is never going to be a perfectly precise passer like Brady. Instead of expecting him to suddenly become that kind of QB, we just need to get pass catchers that can make small adjustments. That's what the Chiefs offense is built around. Mahomes isn't blowing up the record book by throwing the ball to an exact spot. He's using his athleticism and pure arm strength to get the ball in the area of his receivers and they're doing the rest.

I don't disagree with this, but it's all irrelevant when the team is on the field. 

Do you think that Allen on the field isn't aware that Clay needs a more precise pass than Croom?   I'm sure he is.  

I haven't said and am not saying there's anything wrong with Allen. I'm a big Allen fan.  We're talking about a single play on the football field.  The truth is that where Allen put the ball, with Clay in the route, is a relatively low probability completion because Clay in 2018 doesn't make tough catches as often as he should.  Allen knew that before the throw and after the throw.

Should he not have made the throw? No, he made the right throw.  That's his job.  But if you ask him, speaking frankly he will tell you that he has to throw it better because Clay was the receiver. 

It's just the reality of playing games.  Steph Curry wants every pass he makes to be perfect, but he knows Clay Thompson will handle the inaccurate pass better than Dramond Green. 

12 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

That ball is looks like a knuckle ball.  Not the easiest catch.  Still doesn't make sense.  It does hit him in the hands. 

Definitely a drop. Really no need to throw it so hard. He's not fitting it in tight coverage where no YAC is possible. Catchers that wide open are expecting a touch pass leading them to the YAC they already got their minds on getting.. then BOOM ball is rifled to our TE with not-so-great hands. Know your personnel when they are wide open.. Fitz would half *** putting any power in that throw just to make his own throw easier, an easy catch and YAC. 

But JA's got the arm it's probably easier for him to lead a WR by rifling it. When you throw it that hard you lead Clay by like half a yard. If you're throwing for YAC you have to take into account a lot more factors.. judge Clay's speed, where he should be directed to go by where you place the ball. Just food for thought. Definitely a drop with a TE with bad hands. It just didn't need to be really. You're blocking-first TE needs things to be easier on him when he's that wide open.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't disagree with this, but it's all irrelevant when the team is on the field. 

Do you think that Allen on the field isn't aware that Clay needs a more precise pass than Croom?   I'm sure he is.  

I haven't said and am not saying there's anything wrong with Allen. I'm a big Allen fan.  We're talking about a single play on the football field.  The truth is that where Allen put the ball, with Clay in the route, is a relatively low probability completion because Clay in 2018 doesn't make tough catches as often as he should.  Allen knew that before the throw and after the throw.

Should he not have made the throw? No, he made the right throw.  That's his job.  But if you ask him, speaking frankly he will tell you that he has to throw it better because Clay was the receiver. 

It's just the reality of playing games.  Steph Curry wants every pass he makes to be perfect, but he knows Clay Thompson will handle the inaccurate pass better than Dramond Green. 

even with my limited time at WR i still have nightmares about the coaching screaming at us for not securing passes we touched with the tip of our baby finger reaching out with total vulnerability to a helmet in the ribs

-3 trillion % sympathy for a slacker low-talent big-paycheck fatcat who can't catch a pass right into his hands

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This convaluted site is nonsense.  I've personally counted 15 drops in the last 4 games. 

it's only a dropped pass if the ball wasn't delivered on a silver tea service to the fatass who butterfingered it

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Oldman

Read what I said.  I wasnt talking about "fault."  I'm talking about the reality of the game.   It's a simple fact that Clay's catch radius is completely different from Odell Beckham's.  That means you're going to have higher completion percentage throwing to Beckham. 

If Allen is running that play and sees his tight end, hes going to try to make an accurate throw, like he tries on every play.  But he knows that if Clay is the tight end, his probability of completing an Inaccurate pass is lower than if it's Croom.  It's a question of reality, not fault.  

The simple fact is that Clay running across the field at full speed isn't good at catching balls outside a relatively small catch radius. 

QBs need to know who their throwing to.. tendencies, etc. I 100% agree. If your receivers suck and are so wide open, make it easier on them if you can. Not that Clay shouldn't be better and Allen SHOULDN'T always have to worry about that, but that's the nature of the game. WRs all like their passes differently, be it lack of talent, preference of speed when thinking of YAC, catching with hands or body, etc. It points to an understandable lack of chemistry since Allen hasn't had much time to learn this constantly changing group. But that's room to improve on. Just because it's not technically his fault doesn't mean he could do better minding he's not working with good WRs.

It's a drop, but it certainly didn't need to be.. between Allen and Clay one of them has to make a wide open throw and catch look routine and easy.

8 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Definitely a drop. Really no need to throw it so hard. He's not fitting it in tight coverage where no YAC is possible. Catchers that wide open are expecting a touch pass leading them to the YAC they already got their minds on getting.. then BOOM ball is rifled to our TE with not-so-great hands. Know your personnel when they are wide open.. Fitz would half *** putting any power in that throw just to make his own throw easier, an easy catch and YAC. 

But JA's got the arm it's probably easier for him to lead a WR by rifling it. When you throw it that hard you lead Clay by like half a yard. If you're throwing for YAC you have to take into account a lot more factors.. judge Clay's speed, where he should be directed to go by where you place the ball. Just food for thought. Definitely a drop with a TE with bad hands. It just didn't need to be really. You're blocking-first TE needs things to be easier on him when he's that wide open.

Exactly.

• Haha (+1) 1