13 dropped balls all season?????

Billsfan1972

Just now, Capco said:

NEWS_9.28.15_Targets_Fig1.jpg

Yep, I've posted this before.  Allen is in the low precision/high accuracy picture on the bottom right.  The vast majority of his throws are accurate; they give his receiver the chance to make the catch.  But he could be more precise on his throws.

Obviously one wants both high precision and high accuracy.  That hopefully comes with time.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Yep, I've posted this before.  Allen is in the low precision/high accuracy picture on the bottom right.  The vast majority of his throws are accurate; they give his receiver the chance to make the catch.  But he could be more precise on his throws.

Obviously one wants both high precision and high accuracy.  That hopefully comes with time.

My thoughts exactly on where Allen fits on that spectrum.  

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it was an easy catch.  Clay would have had to turn up the burners.  OTOH, getting open is what he's paid to do, and it looks to me as though if Allen threw it to where Clay actually was, it would have gone to a guy with a white n green jersey.

image.thumb.png.3c2dcf7eefb4ef4738183334f64f8ac9.pngimage.png.87dce2ebffd6e7b2a32b6906ebc02dee.pngimage.thumb.png.feb18e6deca3b7678d214cb6c434266d.png

7 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Exactly what I thought...low and away and far from a perfect throw... but with a little more effort on Clay’s part, the catch could have been made...great screen shot here.

And if Josh throws it any more to the right its a deflected pass or an INT as the defender is right there. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

And if Josh throws it any more to the right its an deflected pass or an INT as the defender is right there. 

Agreed...that’s where a little more touch on the pass makes all the difference 

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That hit Clay tight in the hands.  It was as close to a "perfect" pass as you're going to get with that throw or am I missing something?  It hit him in his hands, waist high and slightly in front of him.  If he catches that ball he doesn't break stride.  Maybe I'm just seeing this through my Josh Allen colored glasses but those of you who thought the ball could be better placed I would be curious to know how? 

sounds to me like this stat company bases it only on balls thrown right to the receiver.  If the receiver has to make maybe more than 1/2 step to 1 step adjustment, then it's not counted as a drop.  The debate as to whether Clay should have caught this pass or not has nothing to do with the way the stats are calculated.

You may not agree but it appears that's how they figure it.

52 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There is a difference between accuracy and precision.  You like so many confuse the two.

That is fine, as my original point still holds true, that it wasn’t a perfect pass as some have claimed.

Edited by JaCrispy

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jets at Bills, 6:06 left in 1Q, 2&6 correct?

I don't think it was an easy catch.  Clay would have had to turn up the burners.  OTOH, getting open is what he's paid to do, and it looks to me as though if Allen threw it to where Clay actually was, it would have gone to a guy with a white n green jersey.

Here's a set of screen shots from the coach's film just after Allen throws.  Ball looks to me as though it's thrown about 2-3 feet wide of what would make an easy catch for Clay.  You can see Clay recognize this and lunge for it unsuccessfully.  A TE worth his high salary makes that catch, but it's not a picture under the word "drop".

image.thumb.png.3c2dcf7eefb4ef4738183334f64f8ac9.pngimage.png.87dce2ebffd6e7b2a32b6906ebc02dee.pngimage.thumb.png.feb18e6deca3b7678d214cb6c434266d.png

You can see by these takes that CLAY misjudged the balls velocity.

Perhaps THIS is what happens when old players don't have to practice!

JMO

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Accurate and fairly precise.  That is a catch that is made 90% of the time, if not more,  by NFL receivers.

I’m just gonna agree to disagree on that...and the part about 90% of other receivers making the catch is purely speculation imo.

Edited by JaCrispy

Just now, JaCrispy said:

I’m gonna agree to disagree on that...and the part about 90% of other receivers making the catch is purely speculation imo.

Of course it's speculation.  That's what we do here.  

I ascribe to what my pee wee coach told me in 1963.  You get yours hands on it, you should catch it.  When A QB hits you in the hands there isn't much more he can do.  The pass could have been maybe 6-12 inches more to the right.  That's very accurate and pretty precise.

Clay probably could not track that ball as it was a bullet on a low trajectory and he has just cleared the defender and the ball is almost there.  Face it, having an arm like that means that Josh can beat the defense anywhere on the field but also means his intended targets get less time to track and adjust to the ball and will have more difficulty actually catching it.  Learning when it's not necessary to drill the ball to the target and instead it's better to lead the receiver into an open area with a touch pass that is easy to track and lands softly is a lesson that experience will teach.  I thought our receiving corps looked much better when catching Matt Barkley's soft tosses, for instance.

Also, we as fans tend to ignore a play the DB makes on the ball.  If a DB gets a pbu on a play, we shouldn't view it as a "drop."  Since we want the ball caught regardless of the circumstances, it tends to get recorded in our collective memories as another "*^%&$^%# dropped ball instead of "credit to the defender."

• Like (+1) 1

It was in his hands in stride.  Seeing the screen captions I understand some of the comments, but it was not a hard catch by any means and thrown with no one around him.

BTW Allen threw a nice touch pass to Foster over the middle, again wide open, that was bobbled and challenged by Detroit.  Another example of whether hard or a soft ball, any pass to a Bills receiver is an adventure.  

Yeah we have some wr issues but its not all on them either. Zay has improved from his rookie year to this year. Good chance he will improve again going into next year after playing with Allen for a full year, and next year Allen will get most reps in camp which will help. I fail to see why anyone is hating on Zay. 

Josh does need to make adjustments....  He still throws with too much velocity to often. He is getting better with accuracy but he is not quite there.

Too funny how sensitive people get, and only a few have there heads on straight here 

10 hours ago, Mango said:

I am always unsure if people who make this argument know how dumb they sound. So I guess now I’ll ask? 

What the Bills need is receivers to make catches they wouldn’t be expected to make? And if they had receivers make catches they weren’t expected to make, then our QB would be better? 

Or maybe, just say...Josh Allen really puts his receivers in tough positions. We can’t expect to have a roster for of ODB’s, but they have to be better than they are now...

I'm glad someone said this. Great catches are great because most receivers don't make them.  Most good receivers miss tough balls more often than they catch them.  

It makes no sense to call everything a receiver touches and doesn't  catch a drop.  

Take the throw over the middle that Clay didn't catch discussed early in this thread. You have to consider who the receiver is.  That is a ball I expect Zay to catch, but not necessarily Clay.  He isn't very athletic, and running at full speed across the field and going down for the ball is a tough play for him.  

The truth is that Clay just isn't an good modern tight end.  He's more blocker and less receiver than today's game demands. He fit the game 10 years ago better. 

Allen knows that throws to Clay have to be better than throws to some other guys.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm glad someone said this. Great catches are great because most receivers don't make them.  Most good receivers miss tough balls more often than they catch them.  

It makes no sense to call everything a receiver touches and doesn't  catch a drop.  

Take the throw over the middle that Clay didn't catch discussed early in this thread. You have to consider who the receiver is.  That is a ball I expect Zay to catch, but not necessarily Clay.  He isn't very athletic, and running at full speed across the field and going down for the ball is a tough play for him.  

The truth is that Clay just isn't an good modern tight end.  He's more blocker and less receiver than today's game demands. He fit the game 10 years ago better. 

Allen knows that throws to Clay have to be better than throws to some other guys.  

I'm sorry but the ball was right at waist level and the guy gets both hands on it.  If you're going to say based on that throw that Allen needs to be more accurate (and again people confuse accuracy with precision - that was an accurate throw) then there isn't a QB in the league that can be described as accurate (or more accurately- precise).  Rather than say Allen has to adjust to poor receivers, maybe the solution is to have a TE that can make routine catches.