13 dropped balls all season?????

Billsfan1972

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Where do they find these stats?

I can't believe Zay hasn't alone dropped 13 balls this year.

To illustrate how bad the statistic is, ESPN did not call Allen's pass to Clay vs. NYJ over the middle a drop.....  

Still looking for a replay as he was wide open with room to run and it was a perfect pass and an easy catch.....

Heck Zay had two hit him in the hands too that game dropped. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

I need a replay it looked as easy a catch as can be.  It was about 8 yards past the LOS with him running in stride and no one near him.  It was a drop in every sense of the word.

Heck it could be a picture in the Dictionary under the word "Drop" from what I remember.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So a pass is only good if it hits the player perfectly in stride in the numbers. 

Receivers arent paid well to make adjustments and do crazy things to come down with the ball, right? 

Josh has to make all perfect throws every single time? I say, how about a damn receiver make a great catch that he shouldn’t have made dammit. Like that ODB jr one handed circus catch. Instead we have Clay who can’t make a simple diving catch.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I need a replay it looked as easy a catch as can be.  It was about 8 yards past the LOS with him running in stride and no one near him.  It was a drop in every sense of the word.

Heck it could be a picture in the Dictionary under the word "Drop" from what I remember.

Not this best gif but best I could do.

XmneGmr.gif

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't ESPN it is a stats company who provide their data to various outlets... ESPN and NBC both use them. 

I’m not saying it’s ESPN, just that they have the same level of reliability. If we have 13 drops this season, I am the Easter Bunny. (And since we’ve never met in person....there’s a decision to make!) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Idandria said:

So a pass is only good if it hits the player perfectly in stride in the numbers. 

Receivers arent paid well to make adjustments and do crazy things to come down with the ball, right? 

Josh has to make all perfect throws every single time? I say, how about a damn receiver make a great catch that he shouldn’t have made dammit. Like that ODB jr one handed circus catch. Instead we have Clay who can’t make a simple diving catch.

I am always unsure if people who make this argument know how dumb they sound. So I guess now I’ll ask? 

What the Bills need is receivers to make catches they wouldn’t be expected to make? And if they had receivers make catches they weren’t expected to make, then our QB would be better? 

Or maybe, just say...Josh Allen really puts his receivers in tough positions. We can’t expect to have a roster for of ODB’s, but they have to be better than they are now...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Not this best gif but best I could do.

XmneGmr.gif

That hit Clay tight in the hands.  It was as close to a "perfect" pass as you're going to get with that throw or am I missing something?  It hit him in his hands, waist high and slightly in front of him.  If he catches that ball he doesn't break stride.  Maybe I'm just seeing this through my Josh Allen colored glasses but those of you who thought the ball could be better placed I would be curious to know how? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m not saying it’s ESPN, just that they have the same level of reliability. If we have 13 drops this season, I am the Easter Bunny. (And since we’ve never met in person....there’s a decision to make!) 

I mean, comparatively we can get an idea to other teams. Assuming the standard for a catchable ball remains the same, the stat has “some value” outside of frequency. 

It looks like we are right around average. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am always unsure if people who make this argument know how dumb they sound. So I guess now I’ll ask? 

What the Bills need is receivers to make catches they wouldn’t be expected to make? And if they had receivers make catches they weren’t expected to make, then our QB would be better? 

Or maybe, just say...Josh Allen really puts his receivers in tough positions. We can’t expect to have a roster for of ODB’s, but they have to be better than they are now...

So do you think he put Clay in a tough position with that throw against the Jets?  Or that he put Jones in a tough position with that second down throw over the middle that was dropped?  In the NFL a great throw can be a QB getting he ball near the receiver and relying on the receiver to make a play.  Every week I see guys making tough catches look routine.  My guess is if espn were to pick out the 100 best catches of the year not a single Buffalo Bill catch would make the cut.  NOT ONE. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That hit Clay tight in the hands.  It was as close to a "perfect" pass as you're going to get with that throw or am I missing something?  It hit him in his hands, waist high and slightly in front of him.  If he catches that ball he doesn't break stride.  Maybe I'm just seeing this through my Josh Allen colored glasses but those of you who thought the ball could be better placed I would be curious to know how? 

That ball is looks like a knuckle ball.  Not the easiest catch.  Still doesn't make sense.  It does hit him in the hands. 

Edited by nedboy7

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

So do you think he put Clay in a tough position with that throw against the Jets?  Or that he put Jones in a tough position with that second down throw over the middle that was dropped?  In the NFL a great throw can be a QB getting he ball near the receiver and relying on the receiver to make a play.  Every week I see guys making tough catches look routine.  My guess is if espn were to pick out the 100 best catches of the year not a single Buffalo Bill catch would make the cut.  NOT ONE. 

He put the ball where only the receiver could get it; and Zay and Clay just treated it like it was a regular thing to give up on making dramatic catches.  We’ve seen enough they are trade bait during the draft.  Last year Zay gave up that clutch grab in the end zone and I knew he was toast.  

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

That ball is looks like a knuckle ball.  Not the easiest catch.  Still doesn't make sense.  It does hit him in the hands. 

It's a bit wobbly but as you say hit him right in the hands, waist high and he didn't have to break stride. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1