Fired  

282 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Be Fired?

• Brandon Beane (GM)
    • Sean McDermott (HC)
    • Brian Daboll (OC)
    • Leslie Frazier (DC)
    • Danny Crossman (ST)
    • Eric Ciano (Strength and Conditioning)
    • Terry and Kim Pegula (Stepping down from any roll in on the field decisions)
    • Juan Castillo (Offensive Line/Run Game)

I will reserve judgement on Beane. So far he is a C+. Missed or overpaid on almost every free agent. Wasted picks to move up and draft a LB who isn't in the top 3 rookie LBs. Edmunds might be the best of them all next year but so far he hasn't been worth the investment. Again he is so young so will reserve final judgement but he could have drafted another LB and kept a second round pick to use on the OL. But I wanted Allen and he got him and so far he looks fine. As I've posted multiple times if he gets the QB he gets a 2-3 year pass.  This off-season is critical. He has to fix the line and find WR and TE. Add a pass rushing OLB as a critical need as well. 

16 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

The Pegulas do not have a roll in on-field decision.  

Obvious choice us ST coach. 

i don't know, Whaley said he had no input or knowledge or opinion on the firing of Rex a few days later

who knows what is going on at OBD

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I realize that both units have struggled badly the last 2 years.  I'm just not convinced that coaching is the problem.

Last year, pretty much everyone knew the O-Line was going to take a step-backwards immediately after word broke that Castillo was hired.  Not because he was a historically bad coach.  But because he ran a zone blocking scheme which didn't fit the skills of our players.  We knew it was going to be even worse this year, since we lost our three best lineman in the offseason (Wood, Incognito and Glenn) and did absolutely nothing to replace them.

I'll be honest, and say I really don't know what is going on with special teams.  They have been a disaster everywhere.  But why is it automatically Crossman's fault when we have a bad punt, a missed field goal or a block-in-the-back penalty? 

The O-line didn't play that well last year going from an elite unit (particularly in run blocking) in 2015 and 2016 to a fairly average unit in 2017. So the regression coming solely from a lack of talent in 2018 isn't the only blemish on Castillo's resume with the Bills. I think Daboll should get to pick his O-line coach if he wants Castillo then keep him but the team should not be afraid to move on considering they will have at least 2-3 new starters on the unit. 

As for special teams I don't think you can blame a ST coach for every miscue on the unit. But the things that are in a ST coaches control have been very bad this year and were subpar last year. The punt and kick coverage hasn't been good in a lot of games. Yeah sometimes a dynamic returner will break one but this is happening too often to not be a reflection of bad coaching. Like most things with special teams the leash is very short. So if a unit underperforms for 2 years in a row you have to make dramatic changes.

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

i don't know, Whaley said he had no input or knowledge or opinion on the firing of Rex a few days later

who knows what is going on at OBD

I do not considered that an on field decision.

So are you saying where the coach reports to the owner he can not be fired?

On 12/18/2018 at 2:30 PM, turbotype87 said:

The bills haven't had great drafts in the past 10yrs. The Bills of the 90's built a great team with their drafts. Beane has brought in some talent Josh Allen I believe is going to be a great player in this league. They need to build a offense that can protect him. Their running game with shady isn't going anywhere its time to draft a star running back. Their receiving core is mediocre at best. Time to draft a dominate receiver. On the defensive side of the ball they haven't had a dominate pass rusher since Bruce Smith. Beane needs to get the best players in the draft in order to be considered a playoff contender.

Im guessing you mean draft wise? Schobel and Mario Williams come to mind, before Rex ruined the defense...

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It has been proven time and again that the only way to succeed in this league is to constantly turn over your GM and coaching staff so that the players don’t get complacent. I have not done any research to back this up but I’m sure I’m right.  ?

...you are and I did the research for you......Steelers are the perfect model for the revolving door (YAWN) philosophy..............

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It has been proven time and again that the only way to succeed in this league is to constantly turn over your GM and coaching staff so that the players don’t get complacent. I have not done any research to back this up but I’m sure I’m right.  ?

Get yourself a website and a Twitter feed, call Schtup and the Bulldog once a week to be interviewed, and you’ll be deemed an expert.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

I do not considered that an on field decision.

So are you saying where the coach reports to the owner he can not be fired?

...do not see the benefit of having both the GM and HC on equal direct line report to Owner (Terry or Kim who is officially President)......seems to undermine the GM's authority.....however, it does NOT preclude Terry, Kim or both calling in the HC for dialogue or there being a standing rule  that HC termination has to be signed off on by them.....all other staff positions should be outside their purview IMO.....just seems to undermine GM's authority, but if he is abusing power detrimental to this club (shades of El Presidente Donohole), they certainly need to intervene...

I think the ST Coaches fate was sealed when there occurred a "12 men on the field" penalty during punt return, giving the opposition a first down.   That was the final straw for me, and that was prior to the Jets debacle.

OL has to be better.  The Bills identity has been as a great running team, and there is nothing this year.  Stymied at the line.

Edited by CNYfan
keystroke error

15 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

Im guessing you mean draft wise? Schobel and Mario Williams come to mind, before Rex ruined the defense...

Mario after his surgery was dominant. I feel like people are begging to forget about that Dline and how they could get pressure with only 4. I always wonder what state this team would be in if they actually let Whaley do his job. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Mario after his surgery was dominant. I feel like people are begging to forget about that Dline and how they could get pressure with only 4. I always wonder what state this team would be in if they actually let Whaley do his job. 

2 or 3 Super Bowls, in your estimation?

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

2 or 3 Super Bowls, in your estimation?

Haha no not at all. I just think they would be in better shape as far as players because they wouldn't have changed schemes so often. The scheme changes in my opinion were much more detrimental than the coaching changes. I really like a lot that Whaley did, but that doesn't mean he didn't make some mistakes. It just never made any sense to me to build a flat organization and prevent the GM from doing GM type stuff.

10 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Haha no not at all. I just think they would be in better shape as far as players because they wouldn't have changed schemes so often. The scheme changes in my opinion were much more detrimental than the coaching changes. I really like a lot that Whaley did, but that doesn't mean he didn't make some mistakes. It just never made any sense to me to build a flat organization and prevent the GM from doing GM type stuff.

your point is fair.
i do think he lost his grip at some point. maybe it was with Marroon and Brandon, Russ