Ted Washington not impressed with Bills DL

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Crazy to think our dline at one point consisted of Bruce Smith, Ted Washington, Pat Williams and Phil Hansen. I miss those Ted Cotrell days and having the number 1 defense in the league in 98 and 99

With Marcellus Wiley coming off the bench to provide a spark. I want a line like that again.

4 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Randy Cross once described Ted Washington as a "landslide with a helmet".  All props to Fred Smerlas, but Mt. Washington was the best NT the Bills ever had.  It ain't braggin' if you can do it, and if Ted Talks, I'm listening. 

His main beef with the technique was that the D lineman today want to get upfield quickly.  Ted was all about leverage, and he clearly feels that should be the same today.  Ted was never about quickness, he just man-handled anyone in front of him.

He also said Tasker should be in the HOF, so there's that.  It was great to see Ted on OBL.  Dude played 16 years and still has all his marbles.  

I'm not sure if Ted  was ever hit in the head. His marbles were well protected by 350lbs of seal fat and his head was at the top of a mountain. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s not wrong really.  There’s nothing special about any of the DL on the roster.  

Yep, your one of those guys! Captnnegative would be a better name for you.  Harrison, Kyle and Lawson/Murphy & Lotulelei are a pretty damn solid group.  Our defense as a whole is very good and it starts up front.  Some people you just can't satisfy.  Let me guess you want a 12 sack pro bowler and because we don't have Mr. Excitement you don't think these guys are anything special?

Ted Washington was a great player but in all this time he has ascended to the level of High School DL coach.  Wow.  I work with a high school DL coach and he is really good electrical engineer.  

Maybe there are some aspects of today’s NFL that are different than say 20 years ago?  

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Bills need to invest in a high end pass rusher at the top of the draft or in FA - they lack elite-ness on that line . They have a bunch of “good” players but no real difference maker 

totally agree.  When you can't sack Broken Back Bradford, you lack a difference maker.   We don't have anyone who the offense has to plan around.  A lot of good players, now add a stud and this D is #1 in the league by a mile.  

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Ted Washington was a great player but in all this time he has ascended to the level of High School DL coach.  Wow.  I work with a high school DL coach and he is really good electrical engineer.  

Maybe there are some aspects of today’s NFL that are different than say 20 years ago?  

He mentioned that he ran some Popeyes franchises for awhile but got out of it because it was too time consuming. At least he’s staying busy. A lot of ex players coach in HS. He may not want the hours that into college and pro coaching. 

• Like (+1) 1

One would think that Sean McDermott, having a wrestling background, would appreciate good hand usage.  McDermott;s football background is in the secondary,. but he would still understand how important it is.  I know Washington didn't single anyone out.  I wounder what he thinks of the new kid,  Harrison Phillips.  Phillips, like McDermott has a wrestling background, and one of his strengths was said to be hand usage and understanding leverage.

21 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

One would think that Sean McDermott, having a wrestling background, would appreciate good hand usage.  McDermott;s football background is in the secondary,. but he would still understand how important it is.  I know Washington didn't single anyone out.  I wounder what he thinks of the new kid,  Harrison Phillips.  Phillips, like McDermott has a wrestling background, and one of his strengths was said to be hand usage and understanding leverage.

Mcdermott actually talked about Harrison phillips’ great hand usage after he was drafted. I also wondered if TW watched him at all and if it translated to the nfl. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Isn't Ted Washington the 'Paul small *****" guy?  iirc he was quite the jerk.

Nope.  Big Ted was one of the best space eaters ever to play for the Bills,   Light years better than what's on the roster now...

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, CardinalScotts said:

Ted was a guy who wasnt good he was big. 6-5 375 ..no one ever said Wow what a play by Washington. They said Wow he's huge. Pat Williams made more plays

Yet he still made 60 tackles and a couple sacks a year as opposed to Lotuleilei. 

Not hating on Star, but I'm not seeing much impact.

9 hours ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Right, but I think he cornered Paul Peck from channel 4 in the locker room one time and said he had a small penis, or something derogatory to that effect.  I know he and Pat Williams were great players, but from memory, Ted Washington was described as a real jerk.

I remember watching Ted take on the entire middle of the Offensive Line and winning. He was on one knee sideways and blocking both guards and the center. He was paid to play football not be Miss America. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1