Ted Washington not impressed with Bills DL

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Not sure how much that means from a 1 tech who pretty much just ate space in the old NFL.

Remember when they trained him, it went something like this:  OK Teddy here's your technique:  Try to keep them from grabbing you.  Keep eating a lot so you stay at 355.   Pretend if they push you out of the middle you don't get to eat for a week.  Repeat.

Say what you will but there have been a lot of big fan nose guards.  Few were as effective as Ted Washington was.  Yes he ate up space but he also made some big tackles.

Kudos to Ted E. for speaking his mind 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Say what you will but there have been a lot of big fan nose guards.  Few were as effective as Ted Washington was.  Yes he ate up space but he also made some big tackles.

Yeah I don't mind his frankness at all. Great resume I always assumed he'd be HOF when he retired but I'm probably overrating him there lol.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Ted Washington is one of the most dominant defensive players the Bills have ever had. 

Right, but I think he cornered Paul Peck from channel 4 in the locker room one time and said he had a small penis, or something derogatory to that effect.  I know he and Pat Williams were great players, but from memory, Ted Washington was described as a real jerk.

I mean, Kyle is great as a complimentary piece- he isn't consistantly wrecking stuff as a number 1. Jerry is a good pass rusher, but at some point you do have to worry about his sack numbers. At best he just needs help to open the offensive line up, at worst he's a #2 pass rusher holding the role of a number one. 

Aside from those guy, we have some nice pieces, but nothing above average rotational types. I have high hopes for Dirty Harry, but his ceiling seems to be a less disruptive Kyle. 

I know our glaring needs are on the other side of the ball, but if we're not offered a great move down, it's going to be hard to ignore all the Dline blue chip players. I wouldn't mind trading D.K. Metcalf for JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Ed Oliver/Rashan Gary. I also wouldn't mind trading Johnah Williams/Greg Little for David Edwards and Oliver/Gary.

Obviously it would be great to bring in an elite DL in this offseason but do we want to do that if it comes at the expense of building the Offense? 

We have a solid DL set for next year, two high potential linebackers, an elite corner and 3 solid secondary guys in Hyde/Poyer/Johnson.  That defense is good enough to be middle of the pack, potentially Top 10 if young guys continue to grow.  

Thats enough in the modern day NFL to win at a high level.   I want Josh to be able to throw 30+ on teams and not have to worry about winning games 14-13.  

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, Kyle is great as a complimentary piece- he isn't consistantly wrecking stuff as a number 1. Jerry is a good pass rusher, but at some point you do have to worry about his sack numbers. At best he just needs help to open the offensive line up, at worst he's a #2 pass rusher holding the role of a number one. 

Aside from those guy, we have some nice pieces, but nothing above average rotational types. I have high hopes for Dirty Harry, but his ceiling seems to be a less disruptive Kyle. 

I know our glaring needs are on the other side of the ball, but if we're not offered a great move down, it's going to be hard to ignore all the Dline blue chip players. I wouldn't mind trading D.K. Metcalf for JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Ed Oliver/Rashan Gary. I also wouldn't mind trading Johnah Williams/Greg Little for David Edwards and Oliver/Gary.

Gary is definitely not someone I would spend a high pick on. Now that is someone I have seen play a lot. 

26 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s not wrong really.  There’s nothing special about any of the DL on the roster.  

Depends on how you define special. There isn't a dominant Aaron Donald, Mack, or JJ Watt pass rusher on the roster. However Hughes and Lorax are pretty dam good players and Kyle put together a good season too. I think the depth is there too, Murphy is a solid rotational pass rusher, Shaq has shown flashes and is still very young, Star does his role well, Jordan Cameron has been solid, and Phillips has been decent in his rotation. The Bills run 7-8 starting caliber defensive linemen plus Lorax out there fairly consistently which is the modern blueprint for NFL defensive lines. 

I would like to see the Bills add an edge rusher in free agency (Although given the massive resources needed on offense I am not sure how they can do that) because I think they need to improve the pass rush I don't think the D-line is a major issue esp if Shaq and Phillips get going. 

Randy Cross once described Ted Washington as a "landslide with a helmet".  All props to Fred Smerlas, but Mt. Washington was the best NT the Bills ever had.  It ain't braggin' if you can do it, and if Ted Talks, I'm listening. 

His main beef with the technique was that the D lineman today want to get upfield quickly.  Ted was all about leverage, and he clearly feels that should be the same today.  Ted was never about quickness, he just man-handled anyone in front of him.

He also said Tasker should be in the HOF, so there's that.  It was great to see Ted on OBL.  Dude played 16 years and still has all his marbles.  

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

To be fair to Teerlink I think this is something taught heavily in college and by the time they get to this level coaches don’t have time to “teach” technique. I guess it’s more about is deemed “acceptable”  by the staff. 

pro coaches aren't there to teach basic fundamentals

if you didn't learn them at an elite college program, your time will be limited

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Thoughts? 

More hype than substance. I didn’t see dominance. He underachieved in college for what he was touted to be, and appeared soft at times. He is also considered to be talented but raw, not a polished technique guy. When he succeeds it’s frok being more talented, which will decrease significantly at the next level.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

More hype than substance. I didn’t see dominance. He underachieved in college for what he was touted to be, and appeared soft at times. 

Good heads up. 

I've seen some knocks on him regarding injury history and lack of production. He's also concerning as he's a bit of a tweener. I imagine him as more of an Interior guy, but most places call him and edge guy. 

It might be that as the draft gets closer, this stellar D-line class starts having some tarnish. 

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Good heads up. 

I've seen some knocks on him regarding injury history and lack of production. He's also concerning as he's a bit of a tweener. I imagine him as more of an Interior guy, but most places call him and edge guy. 

It might be that as the draft gets closer, this stellar D-line class starts having some tarnish. 

I think he was considered part of that elite group before the season because most expected him to take the next step this year, but he didn’t and he also didn’t play a lot. I’ve seen him in the 2nd rd now. He does have upside. But I would never take him high. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Ted Washington is one of the most dominant defensive players the Bills have ever had. 

I totally agree. I remember a HC, Jimmy Johnson then with the Dolphins IIRC, saying Ted was the reason the Dolphins lost the game. He was a dominant force.

His father, former Houston Oilers linebacker Ted Washington, Sr. , was also a good player back in the day.

38 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

They shared a stat that was interesting to me. Every defense he played on was top 5 against the run. Pretty impressive when you think 7 teams over 16 years. 

• Like (+1) 3