Ted Washington not impressed with Bills DL

YoloinOhio

I just heard him interviewed on WGR. He’s a HS DL coach and was talking about how important it is  for linemen to have proper technique, hand usage, etc. Ted was at the game on Sunday and John Murphy asked him what he thought of the Bills DL ...he said nothing against the players or coaches but he didn’t think they used good technique. He sounded very unimpressed but said something along the lines of  “as long as the coaches think that’s acceptable I guess that’s what passes.”  Murphy told him Kyle Williams had played there many years and he said he never really met him, maybe once. Murphy asked him what he thought of Kyle and he said something like meh he’s “solid.” Sheesh ... bill teerlink feels great right now. 

Edit: added link to the interview https://app.radio.com/4DvcBgSUKS

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Murphy asked him what he thought of Kyle and he said something like meh he’s “solid.” Sheesh ... bill teerlink feels great right now. 

Harsh. But if anybody could say it it's Ted Washington. And he's not wrong about the DL. I'd have to assume he's talking about Meatball in the context of this season and not dismissing his whole body of work.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

To be fair to Teerlink I think this is something taught heavily in college and by the time they get to this level coaches don’t have time to “teach” technique. I guess it’s more about is deemed “acceptable”  by the staff. 

Ok that post is the exact opposite of what McD says all the time. Additionally they can't hit in OTAs so what else would they work on?

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s not wrong really.  There’s nothing special about any of the DL on the roster.  

Hughes has been a nightmare to defend all year. The rest are average. Star is a space eater. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Bills need to invest in a high end pass rusher at the top of the draft or in FA - they lack elite-ness on that line . They have a bunch of “good” players but no real difference maker 

Yes but at OLB not DE. 

3 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ok that post is the exact opposite of what McD says all the time. Additionally they can't hit in OTAs so what else would they work on?

I’m referring more to the week to week in season. They are focusing on the game plan, not fundamentals of playing the position. They should come in knowing those things. Position coaches should enhance what they already can do. You can draft kids out of college with supreme technique and hands usage. Not enough practices in the NFL to start from the beginning. That’s just my understanding ... maybe the Bills do things differently. But if so, sounds like it’s not helping. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s not wrong really.  There’s nothing special about any of the DL on the roster.  

+1. While they have done a decent job in the Run game, their pass completions have been average and the Red Zone defense has been atrocious.

2 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Lol, neither of us really knows. But in-season you are probably correct. But I think they teach technique in the NFL quite a bit. Of course you can draft kids with great technique but my guess is they prioritize physical talent and think they can teach the technique 

That’s really what Ted was talking about. I don’t know how much they can teach but the Bills need to draft one who is pro-ready or pick one up in FA who is refined. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not sure how much that means from a 1 tech who pretty much just ate space in the old NFL.

Remember when they trained him, it went something like this:  OK Teddy here's your technique:  Try to keep them from grabbing you.  Keep eating a lot so you stay at 355.   Pretend if they push you out of the middle you don't get to eat for a week.  Repeat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Bills need to invest in a high end pass rusher at the top of the draft or in FA - they lack elite-ness on that line . They have a bunch of “good” players but no real difference maker 

One stud would turn those "good" players into "great" players, in my opinion.  Do you think they need an elite DE or DT to improve the most?  Where would Josh Allen - KY LB (14 sacks) play on this defense?

Just now, PIZ said:

One stud would turn those "good" players into "great" players, in my opinion.  Do you think they need an elite DE or DT to improve the most?  Where would Josh Allen - KY LB (14 sacks) play on this defense?

I watched zero Kentucky football so not sure but hear great things about him. I agree that adding in a difference maker takes everything to the next level. 

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

Not sure how much that means from a 1 tech who pretty much just ate space in the old NFL.

Remember when they trained him, it went something like this:  OK Teddy here's your technique:  Try to keep them from grabbing you.  Keep eating a lot so you stay at 355.   Pretend if they push you out of the middle you don't get to eat for a week.  Repeat.

355 sounded low.

He was 6’5 and played at 400 pounds, finished his career at 375.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It's too bad we can say this about virtually every position. Pretty easy to go BPA in that case. Hyde, Poyer, Tre, and Allen are the only guys for me that have their position shored up. I only don't include Foster because he'd be our #1 next year and i'm not about letting him be the incumbent #1 WR before winning the competition against a proven formidable #1 first.

Oh yeah and Hughes

That's a pretty scary statement.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

Bill Teerlink only has the job because his dad was a legend. I'd like to see a more experienced coach working with these guys. Promoting from within after Miek Waufle retired seemed lazy and short sighted. The defensive line should be better than they are. I don't feel Teerlink is getting teh job done. 

If Dan Quinn gets fired in Atlanta, I'd love to see if he'd come here to be a D-line coach and Assistant head coach, or even replace Leslie Frazier. He and Sean McDermott go way back to William and Mary days.