Will Daboll Be a HC Candidate?

BabyBills

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I think he gets at least 1 interview this off season.

Teams are so desperate to find the "next offensive wiz kid" that I think OCs start getting attention earlier than he should. I'm betting someone sees Allens progress, sees he has both NE and Alabama ties and it looks on paper way better then it should.

It only takes 1 team, like the Browns with Petitne. My bet is he will be on a short list of candidates somewhere like Jacksonville. 

Did he go to St. Francis with David Caldwell from Jax ?

1 minute ago, billykay said:

Did he go to St. Francis with David Caldwell from Jax ?

They all did - Caldwell, the Chargers GM, Polian’s son.  Polian hooked them all up.  The nfl jobs are about who you know.  Todd Haley was a college golfer but his dad worked for the Steelers. I feel bad for the coaches that truly grind without a connection.

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think he should. But that’s mainly because I want to see how a fan base reacts to getting a head coach h who just “led” the second worst offense in the nfl.  I’d be thrilled personally.

I think you're way off about Daboll. If you can point to poorly called games, go for it. He calls good games, full stop, but as you know, you can't make silk from a sow's ear. Now that they've moved the faster guys into the WR spots, the offense looks a LOT different. I'm a stats guy, but stats aren't indicative at all of his performance in this instance.  And, by the way, Daboll is Belichick guy more than anything else - not a Polian person. His first job was with Saban at Michigan State (and Saban worked under Belichick in Cleveland before that), and he joined Belichick in NE in his first year there (2000).  Calling him part of the Polian mob is factually wrong.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Being an OC in the NFL is a lot like being a contestant on the Food Network's "Chopped" tv series where contestants are given "mystery baskets" of ingredients and asked to make something good with them.  Sometimes the ingredients suck so bad that even the most talented chefs struggle to cook anything palatable.  

But owners want a HC who has produced gourmet meals.  Daboll  hasn't done that in any of his gigs as an OC.  I don't think he gets a HC shot until the O becomes productive.  

Next year prepare for a feast.

image.jpeg.38f21fb8c42ba5a9969477d885ad6900.jpeg

They might get a call or two about him but I don't think any team out there will put him in serious contention for a head coaching gig. And if a team does come calling, I'd pull the ol' blockaroo on them and not allow him to interview if I was McDermott. I know he wants to see his guys do well and move up the ladder but they need to have some consistency at this stage of the process. You can't let your first-year OC walk out the door after he's worked with your rookie QB all season. 

...and shush your business of talking about Daboll leaving.

the last thing a rookie QB needs is a bunch of different playbooks thrown at him and a whole different brand of coaching philosophy to adapt to.

Let Josh find his NFL game in one system is my sincere hope. I also think Daboll may just stick around as he has a chance with this QB to have a special offense if they can get him more protection and a few more weapons.

Yes he will, his name already floated around a couple openings.  Don't know he will get it, but I think he will be a candidate this year.  And if he does stay here this year, I think he will be a red hot candidate next year as I really do believe Beane will find us some good pieces to put around Josh in FA and Draft and that we WILL WIN the division next year.  I fully expect a breakout year for Allen next year, this kid has shown significant growth in short time periods now multiple times.  Giving him better tools around him, a year of experience, and a full offseason as the unquestioned starter makes me confident that he will be a hot story next year.

....now?...no...down the road?...who knows....this is his third stop as an OC....the previous two each lasted ONE YEAR.....perhaps he needs multiple years with ONE TEAM as OC before even being considered as a HC....don't see how his "meteoric(?)" rise through the coaching ranks (COUGH) qualifies him NOW.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

Only in Buffalo do people think the coordinator of the 31st offense is a HC candidate.

His name has been reported by media outside of Buffalo to be connected to other coaching positions. I don't know how much I buy it myself but there have been reports. I didn't think Lynn would get the Chargers job but he did so stranger things have happened. Although I would personally be shocked to see Daboll get an offer, the offense and Allen's development are still a work in progress. 

Only in Buffalo do people think the coordinator of the 31st offense is a HC candidate.

Only in Buffalo do people think that large multi-million dollar organizations choose their employees by NFL rankings.

How often have you seen guys get jobs in the league just because they have worked with the person doing the hiring before?   Not sure he gets a job, but I do think he gets an interview based on the people he has worked with in New England.

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Only in Buffalo do people think that large multi-million dollar organizations choose their employees by NFL rankings.

How often have you seen guys get jobs in the league just because they have worked with the person doing the hiring before?   Not sure he gets a job, but I do think he gets an interview based on the people he has worked with in New England.

The success of your team has everything to do with people getting jobs.

Crappy offenses get their coordinators fired.  This isn't your 2000s NFL.  It's all about stats and analytics.

21 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

His name has been reported by media outside of Buffalo to be connected to other coaching positions. I don't know how much I buy it myself but there have been reports. I didn't think Lynn would get the Chargers job but he did so stranger things have happened. Although I would personally be shocked to see Daboll get an offer, the offense and Allen's development are still a work in progress. 

So drunk Brett Favre brings up a friend and all of sudden people act like his name is the hottest thing out there.

So drunk Brett Favre brings up a friend and all of sudden people act like his name is the hottest thing out there.

I agree that I think the reports aren't that credible and they don't make sense. But there has been some level of noise about him. I agree I don't think he will get any interviews but stranger things have happened. 

1 minute ago, bigK14094 said:

Actually, it is not out of the range of possiblity that Les Frazier gets a shot again......took a fail in Minn., but, Marv was also at KC before coming to Buffalo.  Daboll less likely this off season at least imho.

I think McD taking over play calling after the disastrous start made him look bad. Its not impossible but from the outside looking in it looks like McD is the driving force of a good defense. 

27 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I agree that I think the reports aren't that credible and they don't make sense. But there has been some level of noise about him. I agree I don't think he will get any interviews but stranger things have happened. 

I think McD taking over play calling after the disastrous start made him look bad. Its not impossible but from the outside looking in it looks like McD is the driving force of a good defense. 

...regardless who is doing the play calling be it Frazier, McDermott or by committee, does it seems like we have a lethargic, NON-aggressive defense game plan even when the opponent is a ripe candidate for aggressive play calling?....just askin'.......

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think you're way off about Daboll. If you can point to poorly called games, go for it. He calls good games, full stop, but as you know, you can't make silk from a sow's ear. Now that they've moved the faster guys into the WR spots, the offense looks a LOT different. I'm a stats guy, but stats aren't indicative at all of his performance in this instance.  And, by the way, Daboll is Belichick guy more than anything else - not a Polian person. His first job was with Saban at Michigan State (and Saban worked under Belichick in Cleveland before that), and he joined Belichick in NE in his first year there (2000).  Calling him part of the Polian mob is factually wrong.

Being so linkedin with "La Cosa Polianostra" gotta' help though.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

...and shush your business of talking about Daboll leaving.

the last thing a rookie QB needs is a bunch of different playbooks thrown at him and a whole different brand of coaching philosophy to adapt to.

Let Josh find his NFL game in one system is my sincere hope. I also think Daboll may just stick around as he has a chance with this QB to have a special offense if they can get him more protection and a few more weapons.

I think this point is very overrated.  The Titans kept Mularkey for Mariota and he was horrible.  The Bucs did the same thing for Winston and he regressed.  Get the best coach.