2019 Renewed Optimism - for real this time

Coach55

I'm excited too.  Like all of you, I have the Buffalo Bills Disease.  I watch every game, year in and out, and for the first time in a long time, I feel that we are ready to become a special team.  At last year's draft, I was thinking.....they have a guy they want, and they will get him.  I think Josh was and is their guy.  Tremaine Edmunds was a gift from Cleveland.  They need a pass rush guy,  offensive line help, a #1 receiver, and a new running back.

And a new Special Teams coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Coach55 said:

I know this is just a rambling, but I want to get it out.  For the first time in probably the past 20 years, I actually have real optimism that our team will be a legitimate playoff contender next year.  I know I have had my doubts, but Allen’s performance over the past 3-4 weeks has really shown a glimpse of what’s to come.  We actually have a real quarterback (first one since Flutie). In addition, the receiving corp actually has 2 legit players in Foster and McKenzie.  Both are weapons, with flaws, but could be big time players when mixed with Allen’s arm and some creative play calling. 

For this offseason, our goal should be to keep the defense intact, bolster the offensive line and draft a top WR or TE.  We might be able to eek one more season out of Shady and with the emergence of Murphy, should be good in the backfield until we draft a RB in 2020.  Also, we need to dump Crossman as special teams has really been special this year. 

At the end of the day, with a good draft and 1-2 solid free agent pickups, I truly think we could have 10-11 wins next year.  The core is finally here for us to be good for a long time.  I really think it’s legit this time. 

Great post - I agree we are seriously building for the long term though many on this board will remain angry!

I am with you. The first half of the season made I think even the biggest optimist which I kinda fall into questioned the overall plan a bit and had doubts about Allen. But the second half has seen true growth all over. The WR corp still needs help but Foster, Jones, & McKenzie have shown enough to be on the roster so a better #1WR would help them all into roles more fit. Croom looks awesome I wish they'd cut Clay for him. Like you said the defense is solid just keep it intact. Crossman should've been fired after the Jets game I expect his release.

One thing that certainly helps the Bills next year is their schedule on paper looks not very daunting and the Patriots actually look to be human finally. At home they host rebuilding teams like Washington, Cincy, Denver, & Miami. Get those four win 2-3 of New England, Jets (they will be an issue trust me), Baltimore, and Philly your 6-2 7-1. That should be enough to get you to 10-11 wins especially with games at a rebuilding Giants team, Miami, and possibly Titans. Steelers and Cowboys will be tough but I do think they have the team to win there and to McD's credit the Bills have won big games on the road in places like KC, MIN, & ATL

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Success said:

We finally went all in in the QB position.  Sure,  Losman and Manuel were technically first rounders, but c’mon.

I was more excited about Darnold in the draft, and think he has great potential, but I’m so glad we got Allen.  He just has that Buffalo intangible - a toughness that Kelly had and has, and a fierce will to win.

The endless search since Todd Collins took his first snap is over.  We found the guy.

I agree he will be the guy, but he needs to practice hitting broad sides of barns this spring....

14 hours ago, Coach55 said:

I know this is just a rambling, but I want to get it out.  For the first time in probably the past 20 years, I actually have real optimism that our team will be a legitimate playoff contender next year.  I know I have had my doubts, but Allen’s performance over the past 3-4 weeks has really shown a glimpse of what’s to come.  We actually have a real quarterback (first one since Flutie). In addition, the receiving corp actually has 2 legit players in Foster and McKenzie.  Both are weapons, with flaws, but could be big time players when mixed with Allen’s arm and some creative play calling. 

For this offseason, our goal should be to keep the defense intact, bolster the offensive line and draft a top WR or TE.  We might be able to eek one more season out of Shady and with the emergence of Murphy, should be good in the backfield until we draft a RB in 2020.  Also, we need to dump Crossman as special teams has really been special this year. 

At the end of the day, with a good draft and 1-2 solid free agent pickups, I truly think we could have 10-11 wins next year.  The core is finally here for us to be good for a long time.  I really think it’s legit this time. 

Agreed. Just add one more step to this, put Juan Castillo next to Crossman on the chopping block

Edited by BmarvB

33 minutes ago, flmike said:

I agree he (Josh Allen) will be the guy, but he needs to practice hitting broad sides of barns this spring....

...if he can't do it by now he likely never will.

<_<

58 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

SUPERBOWL!

When the Buffalo Bills do win the Super Bowl you won't find Sean McDermott as the Head Coach.  

:mellow:

13 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Great plan. 1-2 are doable. #3 would love to double dip on Josh Allens but he will be gone by the time we pick at 8-12. Many people think he's going top 5.

It would take a bit of luck, but hey, Edmunds was supposed to go around 5-8 this year!

16 hours ago, buffalover4life said:

Allen is a breath of fresh Air.  Definitely has me Dreaming of championship football.

My 4 steps to winning the 2019 AFC championship are as follows.

1.) signing RT Daryl William out of Carolina, had a break out year in 2017(3rd rated offensive Tackle), injured this past year. (4 years- 55 million)

2.) Sign Rodger Saffold, Guard for the LA Rams. (4 years- 55 million)

3.) Draft Josh Allen LB out of Kentucky. Upgrading our pass rush to elite.

4.) Trade a late pick for Desean Jackson.

Fixed Oline upgrades Shady.  Elite pass rush upgrades D. Big Arm QB Staying Clean with multiple Deep options. Winning

You started off GREAT with 1, 2 and 3, but no way in hell we draft defense 1st round, and Desean Jackson is a chemistry killer... NO MORE free agent bum WRs...

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You started off GREAT with 1, 2 and 3, but no way in hell we draft defense 1st round, and Desean Jackson is a chemistry killer... NO MORE free agent bum WRs...

I picked Desean Jackson because he is one of the few Vet receivers available this offseason and our system seems to suit speedsters. I have heard that he is still an elite deep threat

LB Josh Allen is a pipe dream based on where he should be drafted. Future Pro bowl Edge Rusher, If he is on the board and we don't pick him I'd be disappointed 

3 hours ago, buffalover4life said:

I picked Desean Jackson because he is one of the few Vet receivers available this offseason and our system seems to suit speedsters. I have heard that he is still an elite deep threat

LB Josh Allen is a pipe dream based on where he should be drafted. Future Pro bowl Edge Rusher, If he is on the board and we don't pick him I'd be disappointed 

He's been a disruption with the Buccaneers questioning his role and has been in three locker rooms and just isn't the kind of reliable WR we need, to be honest. We have already been burned by Anquan Boldin, Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin, so I am wary.

We need way too much help on offense to squander a pick on a luxury defensive player. We could really help our team by drafting WR, OL or TE early.