2019 Renewed Optimism - for real this time

Coach55

I know this is just a rambling, but I want to get it out.  For the first time in probably the past 20 years, I actually have real optimism that our team will be a legitimate playoff contender next year.  I know I have had my doubts, but Allen’s performance over the past 3-4 weeks has really shown a glimpse of what’s to come.  We actually have a real quarterback (first one since Flutie). In addition, the receiving corp actually has 2 legit players in Foster and McKenzie.  Both are weapons, with flaws, but could be big time players when mixed with Allen’s arm and some creative play calling. 

For this offseason, our goal should be to keep the defense intact, bolster the offensive line and draft a top WR or TE.  We might be able to eek one more season out of Shady and with the emergence of Murphy, should be good in the backfield until we draft a RB in 2020.  Also, we need to dump Crossman as special teams has really been special this year. 

At the end of the day, with a good draft and 1-2 solid free agent pickups, I truly think we could have 10-11 wins next year.  The core is finally here for us to be good for a long time.  I really think it’s legit this time. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm hearing you coach!  I also have that optimism and while it may be fools gold I'd rather be feeling good about this team in 2019 then walking around with a football cloud over my head.

In addition to the fundamentals you laid out I do see the beginning of the end for the Evil Patriots empire.  Next season will be a transition year in the AFC East and during transition years anything is possible. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

I know this is just a rambling, but I want to get it out.  For the first time in probably the past 20 years, I actually have real optimism that our team will be a legitimate playoff contender next year.  I know I have had my doubts, but Allen’s performance over the past 3-4 weeks has really shown a glimpse of what’s to come.  We actually have a real quarterback (first one since Flutie). In addition, the receiving corp actually has 2 legit players in Foster and McKenzie.  Both are weapons, with flaws, but could be big time players when mixed with Allen’s arm and some creative play calling. 

For this offseason, our goal should be to keep the defense intact, bolster the offensive line and draft a top WR or TE.  We might be able to eek one more season out of Shady and with the emergence of Murphy, should be good in the backfield until we draft a RB in 2020.  Also, we need to dump Crossman as special teams has really been special this year. 

At the end of the day, with a good draft and 1-2 solid free agent pickups, I truly think we could have 10-11 wins next year.  The core is finally here for us to be good for a long time.  I really think it’s legit this time. 

I would say Bledsoe was.  Unfortunately he was not very mobile and our Oline was worse than awful.  Mike Williams was supposed to protect his blindside.  The thing with those teams is you could watch it trending downward.

This current team we see improving every week.  I believe this team has players that will continue to improve in the offseason.  They have the right attitude, I truely hope and believe Zay has turned the corner and that will be where his focus is.  If he wants to work out in the nude thats fine as long as he does it behind closed doors.

I also belive we have a front office will truely draft the BPA,  there decisions are not based off stata alone.  I believe they keep focus on wether they will fit the culture and other factors.  I believe they will spend wisely in FA. 

I also believe we have a staff that can cultivate talent and motivate players.  They seem to be able to push the correct buttons and although they are patient they are not afraid to send a player packing.

• Like (+1) 2

We finally went all in in the QB position.  Sure,  Losman and Manuel were technically first rounders, but c’mon.

I was more excited about Darnold in the draft, and think he has great potential, but I’m so glad we got Allen.  He just has that Buffalo intangible - a toughness that Kelly had and has, and a fierce will to win.

The endless search since Todd Collins took his first snap is over.  We found the guy.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, billspro said:

I have never been more excited about an offseason.

This is where I’m at as well.

I think the prospects for a bright 2019 are very real.....depending on what they do in March and April.

• Like (+1) 2

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT....

We are playing a TON of young guys who obviously are making an impact. I can't remember the sheer number of UDFAs and practice squad guys making a difference, because we're not getting the doors blown off of us.

This season is giving these young players EXPERIENCE and REGULAR SEASON PT... something that most of them don't get on other teams. When we bring in draft picks and free agent acquisitions, they will already give us excellent DEPTH that will serve us well in the future.

• Like (+1) 2

Allen is a breath of fresh Air.  Definitely has me Dreaming of championship football.

My 4 steps to winning the 2019 AFC championship are as follows.

1.) signing RT Daryl William out of Carolina, had a break out year in 2017(3rd rated offensive Tackle), injured this past year. (4 years- 55 million)

2.) Sign Rodger Saffold, Guard for the LA Rams. (4 years- 55 million)

3.) Draft Josh Allen LB out of Kentucky. Upgrading our pass rush to elite.

4.) Trade a late pick for Desean Jackson.

Fixed Oline upgrades Shady.  Elite pass rush upgrades D. Big Arm QB Staying Clean with multiple Deep options. Winning

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, buffalover4life said:

My 4 steps to winning the 2019 AFC championship are as follows.

1.) signing RT Daryl William out of Carolina, had a break out year in 2017(3rd rated offensive Tackle), injured this past year. (4 years- 55 million)

2.) Sign Rodger Saffold, Guard for the LA Rams. (4 years- 55 million)

3.) Draft Josh Allen LB out of Kentucky. Upgrading our pass rush to elite.

4.) Trade a late pick for Desean Jackson.

Fixed Oline upgrades Shady.  Elite pass rush upgrades D. Big Arm QB Staying Clean with multiple Deep options. Winning

Great plan. 1-2 are doable. #3 would love to double dip on Josh Allens but he will be gone by the time we pick at 8-12. Many people think he's going top 5.

I've felt this way all year. I love the blueprint n vision McBeane have. This team is being built to have sustained, long term success and I'm confident that begins next year. They have built the foundation, established a solid core and now have a ton of flexibility in FA and the draft to build on this foundation and take this team to the next level

I’m looking forward to what the “Castaways” can do.  A core draft along the lines would put us into a much better position.  I look at it optimistically as if we finished 7-9, next season 8-8, there after 9-7, and finally a 12-4 with a deep playoff run to really excite the fan base.  I’d say if we smashed New England for two games that would be awesome!  

3 hours ago, Coach55 said:

So the only free agents I'm currently seeing for next year from the defense are Kyle Williams, Lorenzo Alexander, (technically) Vontae Davis, Jordan Phillips, Lafeyette Pitts, Eddie Yarbrough, Dean Marlow, and Mike Love.  If Williams and The Lorax want to play again next year, I'm sure they'd be welcome back with open arms.  Jordan Phillips I'm having trouble seeing leave, considering he seems to love it here, and he's been a good rotational player that I don't think anyone would want to see leave.  I figure he'll probably be resigned in the offseason.  Beyond that, no really earth-shattering losses.  Simply by the fact that we're not really losing anyone next year, unless they decide to retire, I think your goal of keeping the defense intact is already accomplished.  

Edited by Haplo848

Agree with you completely. We could compete for a super bo next season if we Hit on our acquisitions this offseason.

other than bolstering the OL and adding playmakers, I REALLY hope we sign Lorax.  I wouldn’t even mind a two year deal.  He’s only getting better. He’s quickly turning into my favorite Bill

5 hours ago, Coach55 said:

Really good overview.  One question.   Could Croom be the the that we are looking for.  He had good hands and seems to run good routes.  I am not sure about his blocking though. One way or the other.

I still miss O'Leary.  It was fun to see his uncle in the stands in Orchard Park.

7 hours ago, Coach55 said:

20 years ago I saw Flutie beat the Jags on a last second TD. The only game I went to this year was the Jags. In both cases I felt it was the start of something special. I'm with you Coach!

I'm most interested to see what they do with the 80 million.  Hopefully the draft is BPA or trade down.  However, I don't see them as a legit playoff team in 2019, I think it takes longer than that to build a good O-Line.

14 minutes ago, TPS said:

20 years ago I saw Flutie beat the Jags on a last second TD. The only game I went to this year was the Jags. In both cases I felt it was the start of something special. I'm with you Coach!

I was at that game, it the corner of the endzone where he ran it it, was sweet.