NY Governor: Legalize recreational marijuana in NY state in 2019

BillsFan4

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You have freedom now.  If legalized in New York it will still have state and local restrictions just like alcohol and tobacco.  If you can't stroll through a local park with a lit Marlboro or open Coors you can bet you can't walk through with a lit fattie, either.  Some municipalities require that beer be consumed away from the street side of a home so imagine pot will fall under the same type of restriction.  So you have the basic freedoms that you enjoy now in that the cops can't randomly go to the back side of your property or inside your home for illegal drugs.  For most people legalization is not going to change much as the hippy couple just outside of town is going to undercut Walgreen's, etc. to keep their business.  Probably the hippy wife is more interesting than the fat woman behind the counter at Walgreen's.

Portugal is not exactly a ringing endorsement for drug legalization.  

How so? From what I've read they have reduced usage of dangerous drugs significantly by offering medical care instead of jail time to addicts.

"Portugal’s radical drugs policy is working. Why hasn’t the world copied it?"

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How so? From what I've read they have reduced usage of dangerous drugs significantly by offering medical care instead of jail time to addicts.

Portugal is the bottom rung on the ladder in Europe for overall advancement of their people.  Get back to me when Britain or Germany institute similar programs.  To me Portugal is the guy in the run down trailer on the edge of town that you never go to for any kind of advice because its obvious he does not have his own life squared away.  Britain or Germany would be like going to the guy who has it all and his name never makes the paper for any negative news.  Maybe you see my point and maybe you don't.  

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Not trying to make a slippery slope here, but based on this, why not legalize/regulate/tax cocaine?

You know that there are people waiting to make that argument.  

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Portugal is the bottom rung on the ladder in Europe for overall advancement of their people.  Get back to me when Britain or Germany institute similar programs.  To me Portugal is the guy in the run down trailer on the edge of town that you never go to for any kind of advice because its obvious he does not have his own life squared away.  Britain or Germany would be like going to the guy who has it all and his name never makes the paper for any negative news.  Maybe you see my point and maybe you don't.  

But what does that have to do with their drug policy? You are making quite the leap connecting that with your opinion of the country.

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But what does that have to do with their drug policy? You are making quite the leap connecting that with your opinion of the country.

It's all about judgment.  Overall success in running a country breeds trust and I see very little in Portugal that breeds my trust.  I am not going to endlessly preach at you about it because I think we are different in our views on matters such as widespread drug use and it is not going to change today.

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That is subject to accuracy of any study.  What is the rate of relapse?  Do all drug offenders regardless of type of drug have the option of medical care?  How many "strikes" in a program before they are "out."  How old is the program to know how it affects drug users of various ages?  How long do users have to be studied to identify a trend?  What associated programs go with treatment?  Are they required to hold a job or do they live off of government assistance?

51 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You have freedom now.  If legalized in New York it will still have state and local restrictions just like alcohol and tobacco.  If you can't stroll through a local park with a lit Marlboro or open Coors you can bet you can't walk through with a lit fattie, either.  Some municipalities require that beer be consumed away from the street side of a home so imagine pot will fall under the same type of restriction.  So you have the basic freedoms that you enjoy now in that the cops can't randomly go to the back side of your property or inside your home for illegal drugs.  For most people legalization is not going to change much as the hippy couple just outside of town is going to undercut Walgreen's, etc. to keep their business.  Probably the hippy wife is more interesting than the fat woman behind the counter at Walgreen's.

Prohibition is stupid 

It drives me nuts regarding this whole legalization thing.   I get the feeling and it's probably pretty accurate that the main reason they want to legalize it has very little to do with our freedoms or penal system and a lot to do with another revenue stream for the government.   One of these days I want to total up all the dollars I spend each year in taxes and governmental regulatory fees.  I'm pretty sure it is a massive amount of money and the depression I'd feel after doing so would probably not be good for me.  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It drives me nuts regarding this whole legalization thing.   I get the feeling and it's probably pretty accurate that the main reason they want to legalize it has very little to do with our freedoms or penal system and a lot to do with another revenue stream for the government.   One of these days I want to total up all the dollars I spend each year in taxes and governmental regulatory fees.  I'm pretty sure it is a massive amount of money and the depression I'd feel after doing so would probably not be good for me.  

Just smoke a little weed and all is well.

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

And hurt the Drug cartels business? What would the DEA have to do then? 

Become border agents?  

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

We are going to find out what is stupid as more states legalize pot.  Maybe the fears are way overblown and maybe unforeseen problems come to the surface.

REEFER MADNESS   (all over again) 

Reefer-Madness.jpeg

reefer_madness3.jpg

12 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I wonder what the world would be liked if potheads cared as much about others as they do about getting themselves high.

SMH...  

So little you know.  Potheads are typically very kind and sharing.  Their motto -

Don't Bogart That Joint

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Here are some girls that partied pretty hard 

jennabush.jpg

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Funny with all the talk of Reefer Madness as a kid that approach was never tried in a school assembly where they expressly lectured about social responsibility.  

Because the kids would laugh at it for its absurdity.  

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't point fingers if you use tobacco or drink alcohol. Also, way to disparage people by calling them addicts. Shows how little you understand about the subject.

Amen Promo

Queue the Wizard of Oz music  if I only had a brain.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Become border agents?  

Reefer-Madness.jpeg

reefer_madness3.jpg

SMH...  

So little you know.  Potheads are typically very kind and sharing.  Their motto -

Don't Bogart That Joint

I've found potheads to be rather miserable if they can't partake for an extended period of time such as an 8 hour shift at work.

19 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Become border agents?  

Reefer-Madness.jpeg

reefer_madness3.jpg

SMH...  

Don't Bogart That Joint

And if they spent the energy making up lies about CBD oil and the passion they have to legalize the ***** on something fruitful for humanity than we would be better off. They're ***** who need to stay off my lawn.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Here are some girls that partied pretty hard 

jennabush.jpg

Because the kids would laugh at it for its absurdity.  

But you're the one implying that Reefer Madness is some kind of present day counter approach to legalization.

Edited by RochesterRob