NY Governor: Legalize recreational marijuana in NY state in 2019

BillsFan4

That ***** has a lot more to worry about than weed and only sees the tax revenue from it. He needs to be more like his father - out of politics... Like old cold.  He's a douchehat

Using weed legalization to generate income for his coffees and corrupt fecal stain of state government is abhorrent. NY deserves better but won't get it so they deserve this.  Toke up NY.  Enjoy the laughing stock that is all that east of Cuse.

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Amazing how pot addicts give themselves away every time

Don't point fingers if you use tobacco or drink alcohol. Also, way to disparage people by calling them addicts. Shows how little you understand about the subject.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't point fingers if you use tobacco or drink alcohol. Also, way to disparage people by calling them addicts. Shows how little you understand about the subject.

I just think back to the Torah laws for hypocrites.  Driven without the camp completely; excommunicated and cut off from G*d completely.  

Edited by Thriftygamer83

The NZ government just announced this morning that we (NZ) will be having a public referendum on legalization at the 2020 elections.

I'm really interested to see how this is going to fly.

I'm sure it will pass, but to what extent?

There has been a lot of discussion on how to handle it, without letting Big Tobacco or Big Alcohol take over the market, as they have in other places.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don't claim perfection I just get annoyed with pot worship.

Over-react much?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

I just think back to the Torah laws for hypocrites.  Driven without the camp completely; excommunicated and cut off from G*d completely.  

If you're thinking back to Torah laws, you must be pretty stoned.

• Haha (+1) 2

In Ontario, since the October changes, the smoking or growing or selling of anything that goes up in smoke is forbidden in or near most owned/leased property, upon penalty of immediate eviction

my living and work managers have made this proclamation 

it appears to be working, I haven’t noticed a trace of any smoke, tobacco or cannabis, since it started 

they’ve traded tolerance for legality that has zero tolerance 

gov’t distributors are supposed to start in April but supply apparently is nowhere near ready

——

opting in is up to each municipality with some large areas like Mississauga and Markham opting out of licensing

Edited by row_33

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Except in New Hampshire. Liquor sold on interstate highways? Sure! Legal weed when you are surrounded by states with legal weed? Let's not act rashly.

Meet the world's dumbest Republican.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20181020/sununu-opposes-marijuana-legalization

“You have the issue that black market marijuana is at an all time high in Colorado right now,” Sununu told the Seacoast Media Group’s editorial board on Friday. “Because they’ll (drug dealers) always try to undercut whatever the government market is.

“When that happens you’ve created this culture that it’s OK but nobody knows what they’re buying.”

Isn't that the entrepreneurial way.  Undercut the competition by selling at a lower price?

People are dying of opioid abuse and overdoses.   How many people die from a MJ overdose?  

9 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

He’s an idiot and New York is an awful state but at least this idea is right on. 

MJ has been decriminalized in NYS for at least 20 years now.   

I don't see that as a major step but a minor one.  

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

Amazing how pot addicts give themselves away every time

oh come on now.   that is a bit harsh.

How many people here drink daily and to extremes multiple times a month?   (see Alcoholic thread on OTW)

An addict is an addict right?  

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lol, okay. Maybe it's not so much "pot worship" as people wanting the freedom to do what they like as long as it doesn't hurt anyone? Or maybe it's a desire to stop letting billions go into an unregulated and untaxed black market? It's funny how we tolerate negatives from some things but not others.

Not trying to make a slippery slope here, but based on this, why not legalize/regulate/tax cocaine?

Edited by snafu

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Not trying to make a slippery slope here, but based on this, why not legalize/regulate/tax cocaine?

On a side note, all drugs are "legal" to possess in Portugal. But distribution is illegal. The concept was to make drugs a health issue instead of a criminal one. It's actually been very successful.

As to your comment, some drugs are more dangerous than others. But it's also true some drugs on Schedule 1 can have medicinal value but can't be fully studied because they are on Schedule 1. (I refer to psychedelics which are showing promise in the treatment of PTSD and other mental health issues.) It might be worth reclassifying some drugs to allow study, not neccessarily legalizing them.

As for pot, it's been in wide use for almost 100 years. It's relatively benign, although like any substance, it can be abused. But we tolerate the abuse of many things that have negative consequences far worse than pot because those things are "legal." The illegality of marijuana is mainly due to racial and political factors, not from any supposed harm it causes.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Freedom 

You have freedom now.  If legalized in New York it will still have state and local restrictions just like alcohol and tobacco.  If you can't stroll through a local park with a lit Marlboro or open Coors you can bet you can't walk through with a lit fattie, either.  Some municipalities require that beer be consumed away from the street side of a home so imagine pot will fall under the same type of restriction.  So you have the basic freedoms that you enjoy now in that the cops can't randomly go to the back side of your property or inside your home for illegal drugs.  For most people legalization is not going to change much as the hippy couple just outside of town is going to undercut Walgreen's, etc. to keep their business.  Probably the hippy wife is more interesting than the fat woman behind the counter at Walgreen's.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

On a side note, all drugs are "legal" to possess in Portugal. But distribution is illegal. The concept was to make drugs a health issue instead of a criminal one. It's actually been very successful.

As to your comment, some drugs are more dangerous than others. But it's also true some drugs on Schedule 1 have have medicinal value but can't be fully studied because they are on Schedule 1. (I refer to psychedelics which are showing promise in the treatment of PTSD and other mental health issues.) It might be worth reclassifying some drugs to allow study, not neccessarily legalizing them.

As for pot, it's been in wide use for almost 100 years. It's relatively benign, although like any substance, it can be abused. But we tolerate the abuse of many things that have negative consequences far worse than pot because those things are "legal." The illegality of marijuana is mainly due to racial and political factors, not from any supposed harm it causes.

Portugal is not exactly a ringing endorsement for drug legalization.