Transfer Portal: Welcome to CFB free agency

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

The above is true but what we are also seeing is many Alabama players (Foster for one) are coming into the league with fresh legs. Look at Da'Shaun Hand on the Lions. He was one of the top recruits in the entire country but couldn't see the field much because of Jonathan Allen. Even Kenyan Drake wasn't really a starter and look at what he is doing. There are other examples.

Wait until 2020 when at least 3 receivers will be draft eligible and all of them are great!!! :) :) 

QBs don't really need to come from big programs these days Yolo. Our own QB is from Wyoming, and the kid from Clemson chose Missouri (where he is replacing a pretty good QB).  I even liked what I saw from the kid at Duke.

It seems to me that QBs can pick and choose their schools without it making a huge difference these days.

I don't see it as a selling point telling a star recruit that our roster is stacked so if you can't crack the lineup you will still have an opportunity to play in the pros. That's not going to appeal to a prized recruit. Yet at Bama that might be an accurate characterization of their program and how it relates to the pro game. 

What I see happening is that there is going to be more player movement. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? That's a good debate. Wherever one comes down on the issue it doesn't matter because it is a reality that is gaining more traction. This isn't just a football trend----it's a work world trend where in this case workers move on if they see a better deal.

Coaches who are control freaks are going to struggle in this more turbulent environment. You have to adapt to the new reality of player's ability to seek another option/program. When Saban was considering changing his qb he made a point to communicate with the downgraded qb that if he stayed with Bama he and his coaches not only would not give up on him but would continue to work with him honing his skills to prepare for the next level. So the qb stayed with the program and became a hero in the SEC Championship game. That's an example where an iconic coach smartly adapted to a situation where he didn't have full control. The end result is that it worked out well in everyone's interest. 

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he didn’t want to compete he wouldn’t have committed to UGA when Fromm was a true freshman and starting. He is going to face stiff competition for playing time at any big time program. Like Kirby said i think it’s more that he’s unhappy with UGA/Fromm/Smart and it’s not a good match. 

Don’t forget the racist incident with the baseball player either. There is a lot going on with Fields. 

20 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Fields plus Harrison would be a heck of a start to Ryan Day's tenure...

Unreal. Now Dwan Mathis flips bails to UGA because he  thinks he will play more there. Can’t blame him. 

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Don’t forget the racist incident with the baseball player either. There is a lot going on with Fields. 

And he has Shea Patterson’s lawyer to get try to get immediate eligibility. That racial incident will be at the crux of that. 

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unreal. Now Dwan Mathis flips bails to UGA because he  thinks he will play more there. Can’t blame him. 

And he has Shea Patterson’s lawyer to get try to get immediate eligibility. That racial incident will be at the crux of that. 

If Mathis for Fields is the tradeoff I would do that deal in a heartbeat. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They will say that the racial incident made it impossible for Fields to stay there. It became a hostile environment. It is like discrimination in the workplace. That’s what they will argue.

That is what I suspected. Please don't get me wrong.....if he was that upset by the incident he should transfer out. I am all for it! It does however broach the possibility of a player who wants to leave a school actually planting someone in the crowd and behaving as such.

Sorry, my brain thinks like this.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:58 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

100% agree with you 

i always wonder why so many really good players choose a place like alabama, where logic dictates that they're less likely to play. The worst decision Robert Foster ever made was going to Alabama. If he had gone to, say, Wyoming instead, he'd have been drafted!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

i always wonder why so many really good players choose a place like alabama, where logic dictates that they're less likely to play. The worst decision Robert Foster ever made was going to Alabama. If he had gone to, say, Wyoming instead, he'd have been drafted!

Well, on the other hand Foster has fresh legs and is less banged up than he would have been at virtually any other school although he will have to wait to really get paid.

Also, look at what Bama players are doing this season in the NFL. They are tearing the league apart at numerous positions Dave.

And as far as Foster and other receivers, I am guessing that Coach Saban sits in their homes and shows their parents copies of Julio Jones's contract when he is recruiting them.  ;)

13 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Well, on the other hand Foster has fresh legs and is less banged up than he would have been at virtually any other school although he will have to wait to really get paid.

Also, look at what Bama players are doing this season in the NFL. They are tearing the league apart at numerous positions Dave.

And as far as Foster and other receivers, I am guessing that Coach Saban sits in their homes and shows their parents copies of Julio Jones's contract when he is recruiting them.  ;)

He will have to wait to get paid but sometimes it is better to be a UDFA than a late round pick because he is a FA after 3 seasons instead of 4

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah but. I guarantee you that there are good players on alabama who are not seeing the field but who would be starting - and impressing scouts - if they played elsewhere. I honestly think thay if you are really good, whether you play for alabama or utah is completely irrelevant in scouts' eyes. But they do have to see you play. As for Foster, he will make less money in his first few years than drafted players, and most careers are short in the nfl.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.