Transfer Portal: Welcome to CFB free agency

YoloinOhio

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

I think the precedent here is that players can transfer if the coach they came to play for leaves.  I'm generally fine with that.

I agree, mostly if it is a QB who committed based on an offensive system and that offensive system changes. 

Interestingly, I read that his hardship waiver application didn’t really focus on urban leaving. He instead said that once Fields transferred, Ohio state made no attempt to keep him. That was his big point of contention.  He didn’t feel they wanted him to stay. This aligns to the reports that he tried to transfer repeatedly going back to last summer and they fought hard to get him to stay (probably because they would have zero depth if he did). Urban was very insistent on involving Martell. Day was not. Once Day was in charge and Fields was in the fold, I think he wanted Martell to move on. In fact, reportedly the reason the waiver as approved so quickly was because Ohio state supported that it be approved. 

7 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

I think the precedent here is that players can transfer if the coach they came to play for leaves.  I'm generally fine with that.

That or maybe he was uncomfortable playing for Ohio State......where the HC is so empowered that he can cover up for assistants who beat their wives??

There were any number of instances that he could and SHOULD have been able to claim.

Bottom line is that players should be allowed to transfer and start the following year just like coaches are allowed to break their commitments for better jobs..........anyone complaining about it is operating in slave-mode.   The frickin' kids generate millions for their universities and aren't paid.   Enough said.:thumbsup:  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That or maybe he was uncomfortable playing for Ohio State......where the HC is so empowered that he can cover up for assistants who beat their wives??

There were any number of instances that he could and SHOULD have been able to claim.

Bottom line is that players should be allowed to transfer and start the following year just like coaches are allowed to break their commitments for better jobs..........anyone complaining about it is operating in slave-mode.   The frickin' kids generate millions for their universities and aren't paid.   Enough said.:thumbsup:  

I guess you'll have to ask Miami Martell if the real reason for his transfer was to take a principled stand about the importance of active employer supervision over domestic disputes.

I agree that players should be allowed to transfer just like coaches, and it appears that the NCAA is moving in that direction.

5 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

I guess you'll have to ask Miami Martell if the real reason for his transfer was to take a principled stand about the importance of active employer supervision over domestic disputes.

I agree that players should be allowed to transfer just like coaches, and it appears that the NCAA is moving in that direction.

Ohhhh the ol' Paterno defense..........well done, counselor..........that's some Hi'ya state sass yolo could get behind. :thumbsup:

But yeah it's ridiculous that these players even need permission to transfer and play..........if you're meeting academic requirements and staying out of trouble you are doing all you need to do as a student.    Then the kid has to hire an attorney to plead his case?    No public defender?  How many phone calls do they?      

• 1 month later...

Lincoln Riley popped off about the portal yesterday, and IMO, sounded really dumb about it...

https://newsok.com/article/5629547/ou-football-lincoln-riley-wishes-for-one-tweak-to-ncaa-transfer-portal

"The part about it I still have a hard time with is that you don't have to come tell your coach if you're gonna get in it," Riley said. "Any job in the world, if you're gonna leave or go take another job, it's the right thing to go tell the people that you work for. It's just common respect, courtesy, that you have those conversations.

"We're here to educate and help grow young men, yet we don't put them in position where they've gotta make grown-man choices and have grown-man talks. That part to me is still a little perplexing, but I think it's done some good things for players' rights."

First off, this isnt a JOB, this is college athletics where the players DONT get paid. (Well, at least arent supposed to be paid)

Secondly, when I start putting my resume out and start looking for a new job I sure as hell dont have a "grown-man" talk with my boss about it.

Third, does he think coaches should have sit-down talks with each of their players anytime they talk to another school about a coaching job?

Riley's comments just show how insulated a life he has lead being contained in football and never having a real job or being in the real world.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.