Transfer Portal: Welcome to CFB free agency

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh man!! That Fields and Fromm relationship is apparently a little icy. 

The college game is changing. If highly touted recruits get beaten out and are sitting behind an entrenched starter then transferring becomes an option. I'm not against it, especially for players who have pro aspirations. If a coach can move then I have no problem with a player making a decision for what he believes is in his best interest. I take the same position for players skipping out of bowl games because of the jeopardy it might put them in for their possible pro career. 

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The college game is changing. If highly touted recruits get beaten out and are sitting behind an entrenched starter then transferring becomes an option. I'm not against it, especially for players who have pro aspirations. If a coach can move then I have no problem with a player making a decision for what he believes is in his best interest. I take the same position for players skipping out of bowl games because of the jeopardy it might put them in for their possible pro career. 

100% agree with you 

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

John I cannot disagree with you about the transfers or the bowl games. That said, is it just a matter of time before they skip out on playoff games?

Obviously I voice this concern for selfish reasons but imo it is a legit question, and I don't have answers to solve this soon to be problem.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

John I cannot disagree with you about the transfers or the bowl games. That said, is it just a matter of time before they skip out on playoff games?

Obviously I voice this concern for selfish reasons but imo it is a legit question, and I don't have answers to solve this soon to be problem.

Nick Bosa essentially did that. He left while they were still undefeated, they had just beat penn state and had a great chance to make the playoff. Ohio state lost to Purdue the Saturday after he announced he was leaving to prepare for the draft. His dad said he probably would not have been healthy to play until December so since he would miss the rest of the season that was best to just shut it down. The playoff is in January so of course he could have played if they made it. I’m not saying i blame him but his situation is unique... he’s the potential #1  overall pick without playing another down. Most players won’t be faced with holding a 30 mill lottery ticket and will not have such a decision. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Some issues/problems are not fully solvable. You just accept the repercussions and deal with it as best as you can. I'm sure that sometime in the not too distant future a player who has an injury but is able to play or even a healthy player will decide to not take the risk in a playoff game. So be it.

The decision to play or not resides with the players. Sometimes they make the right decision, and sometimes not. But the decision should reside with the players. The West Virginia qb, Grier, decided to sit out a bowl game against Syracuse. Without question because he is a qb he is going to hurt his team's chances in that game. Was it the right thing to do? I understand his decision based on self-interest but the flip side is that he could have used that game to enhance his status. However, again, right or wrong,  it is his call. If I were a team drafting a qb and was debating between him and another prospect I would give the advantage to the other player because of attitude. The football world/business changes just like every other business. You just adapt even if it is reluctantly because you have no other choice. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh man!! That Fields and Fromm relationship is apparently a little icy. 

I don't thinks Fields and Fromm as it's more Fields and Smart.

Not sure if Fields heard more than Kirby actually said, or Kirby said more than he should when Fields was recruited.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nick Bosa essentially did that. He left while they were still undefeated, they had just beat penn state and had a great chance to make the playoff. Ohio state lost to Purdue the Saturday after he announced he was leaving to prepare for the draft. His dad said he probably would not have been healthy to play until December so since he would miss the rest of the season that was best to just shut it down. The playoff is in January so of course he could have played if they made it. I’m not saying i blame him but his situation is unique... he’s the potential #1  overall pick without playing another down. Most players won’t be faced with holding a 30 mill lottery ticket and will not have such a decision. 

I fear that it might get worse. There is nothing to stop a perfectly healthy play from not playing.

Stars such as Bosa would be drafted even if they get hurt (of course not as high). If a player scheduled to go in the 3rd or 4th rounds suffers an injury, they might miss out on getting drafted at all. This is bad for fans like us but I can't say I blame them.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

How would you compare the Bosa brothers? Are their styles of play the same and talent level the same? 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

How would you compare the Bosa brothers? Are their styles of play the same and talent level the same? 

Very similar. The most similar part is the technique they use. Nick is more powerful than Joey but Joey is taller and has longer arms. Many scouts think nick is a better prospect, but I will say I actually know one GM who said he does not think he’s better. The area that nick supercedes Joey imo is work ethic, leadership, and a pure student of the game. Not to say Joey does not have that, but he developed it more after college, whereas nick always had it. He walked on campus looking and acting pro-ready, and he’s extremely bright.

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Cynical said:

I don't thinks Fields and Fromm as it's more Fields and Smart.

Not sure if Fields heard more than Kirby actually said, or Kirby said more than he should when Fields was recruited.

I have some friends that are alums. Apparently he and Fromm don’t get along either. I think that their may have been some promises from Kirby that didn’t come to fruition. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have some friends that are alums. Apparently he and Fromm don’t get along either. I think that their may have been some promises from Kirby that didn’t come to fruition. 

What promises are a big time program such as Georgia and Bama going to make to a star recruit? Guaranteed playing time? A promise not to recruit for the same position? If a star recruit comes into the program and another young player is entrenched in your position then it shouldn't be surprising that there is a coolness between the players. 

How many very good players are on the bench in the Georgia, Clemson and Bama programs? And what makes the situation even worse for a lot of these young backups is that even more players are brought in to make your playing time even more tenuous not only in the current year but the next year or so.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What promises are a big time program such as Georgia and Bama going to make to a star recruit? Guaranteed playing time? A promise not to recruit for the same position? If a star recruit comes into the program and another young player is entrenched in your position then it shouldn't be surprising that there is a coolness between the players. 

How many very good players are on the bench in the Georgia, Clemson and Bama programs? And what makes the situation even worse for a lot of these young backups is that even more players are brought in to make your playing time even more tenuous not only in the current year but the next year or so.

If he didn’t want to compete he wouldn’t have committed to UGA when Fromm was a true freshman and starting. He is going to face stiff competition for playing time at any big time program. Like Kirby said i think it’s more that he’s unhappy with UGA/Fromm/Smart and it’s not a good match. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The above is true but what we are also seeing is many Alabama players (Foster for one) are coming into the league with fresh legs. Look at Da'Shaun Hand on the Lions. He was one of the top recruits in the entire country but couldn't see the field much because of Jonathan Allen. Even Kenyan Drake wasn't really a starter and look at what he is doing. There are other examples.

Wait until 2020 when at least 3 receivers will be draft eligible and all of them are great!!! :) :) 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he didn’t want to compete he wouldn’t have committed to UGA when Fromm was a true freshman and starting. He is going to face stiff competition for playing time at any big time program. Like Kirby said i think it’s more that he’s unhappy with UGA/Fromm/Smart and it’s not a good match. 

QBs don't really need to come from big programs these days Yolo. Our own QB is from Wyoming, and the kid from Clemson chose Missouri (where he is replacing a pretty good QB).  I even liked what I saw from the kid at Duke.

It seems to me that QBs can pick and choose their schools without it making a huge difference these days.

39 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The above is true but what we are also seeing is many Alabama players (Foster for one) are coming into the league with fresh legs. Look at Da'Shaun Hand on the Lions. He was one of the top recruits in the entire country but couldn't see the field much because of Jonathan Allen. Even Kenyan Drake wasn't really a starter and look at what he is doing. There are other examples.

Wait until 2020 when at least 3 receivers will be draft eligible and all of them are great!!! :) :) 

QBs don't really need to come from big programs these days Yolo. Our own QB is from Wyoming, and the kid from Clemson chose Missouri (where he is replacing a pretty good QB).  I even liked what I saw from the kid at Duke.

It seems to me that QBs can pick and choose their schools without it making a huge difference these days.

They don’t have to from an nfl perspective, but the cream of the crop recruits almost always want to be on national tv a lot play for championships and have a chance at a Heisman. That’s only a reality at certain schools. Kids like josh Allen didn’t have those offers. In the end they may or may not end up nfl players but the carrot is there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.