Josh Allen throw chart

PrimeTime101

6 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

After 15 years of dink and dunk ... I love the deep throws .. keep chucking Josh.

No doubt  You want check downs go back and watch some Trent Edward's highlights.  Once they get the line run blocking this offense is going to be good. 

There needs to be a balance.. Check downs are essentially smart plays, made smarter if you are aware of your markers and achieve the moving of the chains portion of the check down.

Difference between Allen and Edwards is Edwards could not take advantage of the field vertically with any sort of mid to deep passing game, therefore opposing D's just crowded the LOS and put 8 in the box making that portion and his only portion of his game a limiting feature.

Allen this year essentially became the check down option with his running ability. However he needs to improve in his awareness and get the ball into the hands of safety valves. That will come with time  and familiarity to the offense. I do not ever see Allen being a check down QB, but hopefully he will master the ability to use it 

On 12/26/2018 at 5:49 AM, ganesh said:

young blood !!

Our defense is not a Top defense...It is a middling defense that has given up too many points especially in the red zone.  Our D plays nothing like in Baltimore where they are protecting their 1st RD QB.   Allen has no Running game and an average defense.  You can't expect the rookie to win the games by himself.

Preaching to the choir my man as I agree with it all.

Now imagine if this years OC had built a better run game from the start and actually utilized McCoy in the passing game along with more short throws instead of that mid to deep passing game with so many incompletions. Moving the chains should have been the priority over the big play with the deep ball. When the team needs five yards for a first down this OC calls for a mid to deep pass which usually resulted not getting a first down.

The thing is, the run game actually worked in a few games when the team had the lead because the OC would actually call for more runs then pass plays. Usually most every game the Bills passed 2x as much as they attempted to run the ball. 

A better Buffalo run game would keep the defense on the sidelines and allow them to be fresher. IE, not worn out each game from being on the field for most of the game. This would allow for a better pass rush as the defensive line players would spend less time on the field. The 2018 Buffalo Bills defense was #1 for awhile and is still #2 in yards allowed, #1 in passing yards allowed. While currently 18th in points allowed. So many blowouts I feel were the result of a bad offensive scheme. 

The 2018 Buffalo Bills only completed 63 of 204 third down conversions because of a lack of a strong run game along with a lack of a short pass game that more or less excluded the teams best receiver in LeSean McCoy. 

Throwing those mid to deep passes to receivers like Kelvin Benjamin with a 37.1 catch percentage was nearly futile, 62 targets, 23 catches. Zay Jones was targeted  93 times and caught 50 balls with a 53.8 percent catch percentage. McCoy OTOH has a 74.4 catch percentage. This mid to deep passing scheme might have worked more often had the team a better offensive line that would give Josh Allen more time to throw those 3 to 5 to 7 step drop backs. 

This offensive scheme with almost no run game and a mid to deep passing philosophy that Allen was in this season wasn't really conducive in developing a rookie QB because as you pointed out  "You can't expect the rookie to win the games by himself." Not with that O line, not with those receivers and not with that scheme.