Protecting Allen

WideNine

Last week's tilt against the Jets and all the cheap shots they took on Allen got me thinking about the kind of offensive line players I want the Bills to target. I don't care if it is through FA or the draft or both, but obviously we want the blocking skills, but I also want some nasty sprinkled along that line willing to defend their QB.

Maybe it was because it was the Jets, but it had me remembering Kyle Turley's helmet throw incident when the Jets safety was trying to rip Turley's QB's head off his shoulders after they stopped him on a keeper (Aaron Brooks was the Saints QB).

Loved how Turley dove on the Jets player and would not be denied till he ripped his helmet off and chucked it. I know it was penalties galore, I know it was not the smart or sane thing to do, but it was also a glorious moment of defending your QB from a dangerous and cheap stunt by the Jets .

For the youngsters on the Wall this was probably before your time (Protecting your QB 101):

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Last week's tilt against the Jets and all the cheap shots they took on Allen got me thinking about the kind of offensive line players I want the Bills to target. I don't care if it is through FA or the draft or both, but obviously we want the blocking skills, but I also want some nasty sprinkled along that line willing to defend their QB.

Maybe it was because it was the Jets, but it had me remembering Kyle Turley's helmet throw incident when the Jets safety was trying to rip Turley's QB's head off his shoulders after they stopped him on a keeper (Aaron Brooks was the Saints QB).

Loved how Turley dove on the Jets player and would not be denied till he ripped his helmet off and chucked it. I know it was penalties galore, I know it was not the smart or sane thing to do, but it was also a glorious moment of defending your QB from a dangerous and cheap stunt by the Jets .

For the youngsters on the Wall this was probably before your time (Protecting your QB 101):

I want guys that can play well, play hard, and beat their opponents whistle to whistle. The extra stuff, while fantastic for the fans to see, sometimes has a way of hurting the team. 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Give me 5 Richie Incognitos if thats what it takes.  Not really, but our players really do need to do a better job of defending each out there.  Too many cheap shots go un checked for my taste

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I want guys that can play well, play hard, and beat their opponents whistle to whistle. The extra stuff, while fantastic for the fans to see, sometimes has a way of hurting the team. 

You can't see it from that clip, but on that play Robinson was behind Brooks and had his facemask and was yanking him off the ground with his neck twisted to the side - literally trying to break his neck. I have no qualms with what Turley did and I can just about guarantee that Robinson did not pull a stunt like that again... 

Not looking for cheap, but if the refs are not going to defend Allen during a game, I want to see our players step up. Rather see that, than Allen in traction waiting for the NFL to levy a fine later that week that amount to peanuts that more than a few dirty players are willing to pay.

12 minutes ago, WideNine said:

You can't see it from that clip, but on that play Robinson was behind Brooks and had his facemask and was yanking him off the ground with his neck twisted to the side - literally trying to break his neck. I have no qualms with what Turley did and I can just about guarantee that Robinson did not pull a stunt like that again... 

Not looking for cheap, but if the refs are not going to defend Allen during a game, I want to see our players step up. Rather see that, than Allen in traction waiting for the NFL to levy a fine later that week that amount to peanuts that more than a few dirty players are willing to pay.

While I agree what Turley initially did was fine, he took it wayyyy over the line. Step in, defend your guy. Of course. But wait to do the hitting when the ball is snapped. Beat em down between whistles and they don't have energy for that stuff.

27 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Perfect response. Just get better players and you will be amazed at how the penalties will go down and the QB will be better protected. Its not the refs or dirty opposing players. It is the terrible play of the O-line.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Perfect response. Just get better players and you will be amazed at how the penalties will go down and the QB will be better protected. Its not the refs or dirty opposing players. It is the terrible play of the O-line.

In a perfect world yes, but in real life things happen between the whistles that most fans don't see, and refs rarely catch or call. There is another world of rules where players police themselves, where dirty or dangerous plays are corrected and not by the refs.

You ask most coaches and they look for players that have a bit of nasty in them to defend themselves and others on the team. You may not need a whole line like that, but you have to have a few. Think of the NHL, where there is always that guy who can keep the other team from targeting your franchise players.

Did you notice how many of our receivers were coming off the field during the Detroit game because they had been gouged in the eyes accidentally.... over and over. This happens in football, the refs do not protect everybody out there, what does is the knowledge that most teams will find a way to police the behavior. Obviously, Turley took it to a whole new visible level, but I want our guys defending our guys between the whistles and everywhere else.

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If it instills the right attitude in the OL, I'll risk the penalty.

A long time ago, in 1980, Conrad Dobler aka the Dirtiest Man in Football (he really wasn't) came to Buffalo.  They still had Reggie McKenzie at the time, and a couple of talented young tackles in Ken Jones and Joe Devlin. People talked about the "dirtiest player" persona, but he brought attitude. He let the other linemen know that they were there to protect Fergy and they were going to do so at all costs. And he meant...at all costs.

They gave up 16 sacks that year and led the NFL in 3rd down percentage.

If occasionally going after a guy who cheap shots his QB draws a penalty, I can live with that, if it kindles the attitude.

• Like (+1) 1

I get where your coming from OP , a little Nasty on the Oline doesn't hurt my feelings.

Players like Incognito striking the fear of God into opposing defenders works for me.

On the other hand McD preaches play smart and let the officials do their jobs so...  

Note: I started a thread years ago here on TSW called "Protect the baby" (Trent Edwards)

Gotta a little grief from my fellow patrons over the thread title, hehe

Needles to say, we didn't protect the baby.

Edited by Figster

23 minutes ago, Figster said:

I get where your coming from OP , a little Nasty on the Oline doesn't hurt my feelings.

Players like Incognito striking the fear of God into opposing defenders works for me.

On the other hand McD preaches play smart and let the officials do their jobs so...  

Note: I started a thread years ago here on TSW called "Protect the baby" (Trent Edwards)

Gotta a little grief from my fellow patrons over the thread title, hehe

Needles to say, we didn't protect the baby.

Agree 110% - that baby hasn't been protected at all......protect the baby!  I like it.  Every time I see JA Ima gonna think that now! 

• Haha (+1) 1