Finally got to watch the game...it was good to see Josh in the pocket

14 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I dunno - anybody but Golden Showers Tate....never liked him never thought he was consistently good.....

Like who?

He seems like he'd be good to me.  He makes a lot of contested catches and is a fierce veteran competitor with hardware.  Sounds just like what the doctor ordered for this team

42 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Why not? We got 90 mil and 10 draft picks.  It's a HUGE HOLE, probably the biggest.

Sign Golden Tate plus another FA WR  and draft someone good.

The Bills will never have a good offense or passing game until we stop screwin' around and get some quality WR s in here.

THIS ^^^^

WR is such an issue right now.  

Some people are going to freak out when I write this, but its not crazy:  The difference between Mahomes and Allen is not as big of a gap as people will think looking at a stat sheet.  (Cue the freak outs).  I will explain.

As a guy who had Hunt on all 3 fantasy teams, and also just see the Chiefs as fun to watch, I have seen a lot of them this year.  There is a MASSIVE difference and its not so much the QB's.  Its the people catching passes, its so night and day its unreal.  

1. Getting open - there are guys running very open all over the field, including guys like Kelce who despite trying, defenses can never seem to just cover the guy.  A high percentage of Mahomes pass attempts have someone running very open giving him high percentage choices.  
  2. Separation and route running - The WR's and TE consistently create both short and long passing opportunities where they get open on the initial routes.  Our guys, especially guys like KB and Zay just do not get open on their routes enough and they get most their catches when Allen is scrambling for his life and defenders lose track of them for a second.  KB was also awful in general at running precise routes that cost us a couple turnovers too.
  3. Adjusting to the pass/scramble - Chiefs personnel are exceptional at helping Mahomes out when he is scrambling, they never stop moving and run around and come back to give Mahomes a place to go.  Our guys are utterly awful at this.  There was a play yesterday where one of our WR's went in the middle on like a 10 yard curl and Josh had to escape running to his right.  That WR literally stood there like he was out of the play despite being on the right hash marks for the curl.  Josh threw the pass away but had that WR just started running with Josh toward sideline he had all kind of room to make a play for Josh.  
  4. Contested catches - None of our guys make any contested catches, where its a shock if Kelce, Hill, Watkins, etc dont come down with a ball they get their hands on.  
  5. Ball tracking, body position and Ball Adjustments - and this is where Hill blows my mind because of his size.  Hill is exceptional at make LATE adjustments on the ball and that prevents the DB from having a chance to adjust too and he uses his body to be the one who can really get the ball.  So many times Mahomes has chucked one and Hill sells it deeper until just before he gets there he puts breaks on and comes back and out positions to make the grab.  Its unreal how good he is at making those adjustments and how he waits so long to do so.  Our guys will start slowing down and tip their hand early in the pass giving the DB an opportunity to make a more contested pass attempt.

I am not trying to say Allen is as good as Mahomes right now, so some of you can calm down before you freak out.  But I do think the gap is not as wide as one would believe.  Mahomes has 3 major advantages at the moment over where he is and Allen is.  Talent around hm (see above), getting to learn defenses a full year with a good Vet mentor to help, and getting a whole offseason as the unquestioned starter.  So its to be expected he is going to be stronger in certain areas like reading defenses and recognizing coverages.  

But...I do think the Allen we see right now is capable of putting up some gaudy stats of his own today if he had the talent around him.  Then I imagine him next year with more time under his belt and a full offseason taking all reps as the unquestioned starter, and I see a kid that is on a path to really break out next year as well.  I think the future conversations of top 5 in the NFL are going to frequently have names like Mahomes, Baker, and Allen in them.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We want to move him to number 3?  Josh Allen has excellent chemistry with him.

I want guys better than what we got.  Sure Foster has done well.  It's not like I want him off the team.  He'd still get plenty of playing time and opportunities to catch the football.  But I'm also not going to make assumptions on what he can do based on a few games.  And, WR is a tough positon.  Would be nice to have some depth there there for a change.

We gotta stop cheap charleying this position.  It's too freakin' important.  It's a passing league.  Go get some studs with that 90 mil and picks.  Again, we'll never have a good passing game or QB until we do IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Golden Tate is perfect for the Bills and by far the best WR FA.  But people would complain Bills paid too much.  

The guy battles and YAC is always up there. 

To me Golden Tate is a perfect veteran for us to go after

Been there done that and is still productive....would prob be great in the locker room as well.   I would do Tate......draft a WR in the 2nd round....Foster at 2/3 and let McKenzie/Zay battle it out for the remaining reps (I have this feeling McKenzie is gonna win that battle)

Things you learn at TBD: Allen is basically just as good as Mahomes. Oh and you forgot Mahomes has a great Oline and one of the best offensive football coaches of the last 20 years. Respectfully, I'm going to disagree.  

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Things you learn at TBD: Allen is basically just as good as Mahomes. Oh and you forgot Mahomes has a great Oline and one of the best offensive football coaches of the last 20 years. Respectfully, I'm going to disagree.  

About which part

Josh is not as good as Mahomes right now

Mahomes does have the offensive minded HC, the Offensive line, the weapons, and the year in the system that Josh does not.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

About which part

Josh is not as good as Mahomes right now

Mahomes does have the offensive minded HC, the Offensive line, the weapons, and the year in the system that Josh does not.  

That he's anywhere near as good as Mahomes right now like alphadawg was suggesting. I just meant he forgot to include those (legit) excuses in his assessment.

I was in fact pleased to see a lot of shorter passes yesterday. It’s not that I want a Capt Checkdown, but because I wanted to know he could make the throws as we haven’t seen much of that. 

I was not comfortable with the Allen choice initially, but I couldn’t get too upset because it’s not something over which  I have control. I’m not ready to declare him the savior, but I sure am warming up to him. This has been very encouraging so far! All I wanted out of this year was progress from Josh, and hopefully some of the other young core guys. Winning was secondary, but a positive culture also has value. 

32 minutes ago, VW82 said:

That he's anywhere near as good as Mahomes right now like alphadawg was suggesting. I just meant he forgot to include those (legit) excuses in his assessment.

Mahomes was able to sit back and watch for almost a whole year. Allen didn't have that luxury.

I can't compare these two QB's in any way because their situations are totally different.

But I think Allen is doing fine with the hideous supporting cast he has, including a TERRIBLE running game. other than himself.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

if foster keeps up this sort of production through the end of the season i'm seriously wondering if we will be drafting a #2 in the spring and not a #1.

what a turnaround.

you can watch wr's and te's all the around the league on a weekly basis reward their qb's, catching their "area code" throws. guys like big ben have made what seem to be half their livings off those type of throws...…. meanwhile in buffalo.....

Hopefully we draft WR 1b

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Golden Tate is perfect for the Bills and by far the best WR FA.  But people would complain Bills paid too much.  

The guy battles and YAC is always up there. 

With the young guys coming around I agree now.

A steady producer. Makes contested catches, doesn't have to be 'the guy'. Would still draft a WR in round 1 or 2.

• Like (+1) 1