Bills fall from 6th to 10th in Draft Order

Big Turk

3 hours ago, WhyteDwarf said:

I disagree with that.  It's far better to build a team through the draft.

I disagree with your disagreement. I never once said free agency was the "better" way to build. Free agents look for 1 of 2 things when looking to sign to a new team.

1. Are they a winning football team/Do I see myself fitting in that organization?

2. Money.

We have the money, but for a player to go with the first option,we would need to win and win good. We still have our draft picks no matter where we pick. Just need to "hit" on those picks.

Also, picking #6 overall and picking #10 overall doesn't guarantee your pick will pan out no matter WHERE you picked.

As I said before (and this is just my personal preference), if we somehow pick in the top 5, I would like to trade down and stockpile picks since top 5 usually brings in A LOT of draft picks in return. But if we pick closer to 10, I'd rather stay put and choose our guy.

3 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Also, picking #6 overall and picking #10 overall doesn't guarantee your pick will pan out no matter WHERE you picked.

No, but a higher pick is far better for trading down, that's the line of thinking. More bodies, better  odds.

Edited by WhyteDwarf

1 minute ago, WhyteDwarf said:

No, but a higher pick is far better for trading down, that's the line of thinking.

Are you reading what I'm writing? Are you drinking early? Because that's EXACTLY what I just said. I said if we pick in the top 5, I'd rather trade down.

You might wanna just stop internetting for the rest of the day...

6 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Are you reading what I'm writing? Are you drinking early? Because that's EXACTLY what I just said. I said if we pick in the top 5, I'd rather trade down.

You might wanna just stop internetting for the rest of the day...

Sorry, I guess we agree then.  The issue is, they won't finish in the top 5, so will be BPA + FA's as opposed to a boatload of picks.

Sorry, I guess we agree then.  The issue is, they won't finish in the top 5, so will be BPA + FA's as opposed to a boatload of picks.

We already have 10 picks.....

Could we use some more?   Yes but I think that the franchise QB ending on a positive note (along with the fact that our team needs are all going to be a available when we pick) will trump all.

I would love to have an additional 2nd round pick in this draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We already have 10 picks.....

Could we use some more?   Yes but I think that the franchise QB ending on a positive note (along with the fact that our team needs are all going to be a available when we pick) will trump all.

I would love to have an additional 2nd round pick in this draft.

MOAR PICKS is always a good thing.  I would just like to be the team on the other end of an RGIII trade up one of these days...

Edited by WhyteDwarf

Finishing 7-9 shows progress for next season.  We might lose draft stock toward the higher picks but we still have capital in the top twenty.  I’m not to concerned with cardiac Josh leading the charge.  It’s good to see him, Barkley, and Frazier looking at defensive strategies together with McDermott.  Barkley is making a great sage guru on the side line.  

MOAR PICKS is always a good thing.  I would just like to be the team on the other end of an RGIII trade up one of these days...

I dont think it is happening this year.....

To be perfectly honest unless you do not have your QB I am starting to lean on this not being that big of a deal......Beane has shown that he CAN draft and is willing to move around the draft board.

Its looking like Jonah OT to me in the first and Deebo WR in the 2nd to me

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't have time to look it up right now but I recall a trade down involving Julio Jones. I'm sure there are more examples but they are generally not blockbuster deals.

Edit: There were a few last year that didn't involve qbs, to include our own Edmunds.

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not necessarily. Generally, people only trade up for QB. And isn't this a paltry year for QBs?

In the past 5 years the following were selected in the top 10 positions via a trade. A top 10 pick can be , and has been traded for OL and DL players as well as QBs. A trade is very possible in most years.

2018 first-round pick (No. 6) -- Quenton Nelson, G

2017 first-round pick (No. 5): Corey Davis, WR

2017 first-round pick (No. 3): Solomon Thomas, DE

2016 first-round pick (No. 9): Leonard Floyd OLB

2016 first-round pick (No. 8): Jack Conklin OT

First-round pick (No. 4): Sammy Watkins WR

First-round pick (No. 9): Anthony Barr LB

First-round pick (No. 8): Justin Gilbert CB

First Round (No. 8: WR Tavon Austin)

First Round No. 3: DE Dion Jordan

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Bills most likely scenario is they finish 6-10 losing to the Pats on the road and beating Miami at home...

That probably will keep us in the top 10 but if we lose both that would be ideal, especially if we have good offensive showings in both games.

That is awesome news!  While it is my personal goal to see the Bills draft at #32 in the next few years, I am really happy we moved up four spots and would now draft #10.  I think if we play our cards right we can move up a little further at and least pick in the mid teens.

No sarcasm here.  For those of you who think losing is the best path to winning, that is only maybe true when you are trying to draft a QB and it is a Luck/Manning kind of draft and you manage not to pick RG3/Leaf (so pretty much if you are the Colts), you probably want to look at the draft history.

Come draft night, having a higher pick is better than a lower pick as you have more choices and more value to trade in either direction as well.  But it is a much smaller importance than drafting smart/lucky.  What I really hope is that we get a great player at #15 and #45 and #75 or whatever.  I'm happily rooting for other teams bunched around us to win games and give us a slightly better pick where it doesn't impact us, but I'm still dreaming of 7-9 and not hoping for 5-11.

Who we pick needs to be the best player available each time (position weighted of course, based on the degree a position impacts the game).  Drafting for need only ensures that you will have new needs and less talent over the next five years.

1 minute ago, Koufax said:

That is awesome news!  While it is my personal goal to see the Bills draft at #32 in the next few years, I am really happy we moved up four spots and would now draft #10.  I think if we play our cards right we can move up a little further at and least pick in the mid teens.

No sarcasm here.  For those of you who think losing is the best path to winning, that is only maybe true when you are trying to draft a QB and it is a Luck/Manning kind of draft and you manage not to pick RG3/Leaf (so pretty much if you are the Colts), you probably want to look at the draft history.

Come draft night, having a higher pick is better than a lower pick as you have more choices and more value to trade in either direction as well.  But it is a much smaller importance than drafting smart/lucky.  What I really hope is that we get a great player at #15 and #45 and #75 or whatever.  I'm happily rooting for other teams bunched around us to win games and give us a slightly better pick where it doesn't impact us, but I'm still dreaming of 7-9 and not hoping for 5-11.

Who we pick needs to be the best player available each time (position weighted of course, based on the degree a position impacts the game).  Drafting for need only ensures that you will have new needs and less talent over the next five years.

Better is still better.

Higher draft pick is better than lower.

2 minutes ago, simpleman said:

In the past 5 years the following were selected in the top 10 positions via a trade. A top 10 pick can be , and has been traded for OL and DL players as well as QBs. A trade is very possible in most years.

I think you ignored the context of those trades, though. Nelson, Thomas, and Barr were all selected by teams that traded down, not up. Corey Davis was selected with a pick from a trade down as well, as Tennessee got that pick in return for trading down from 1 to 15 the previous year.

8 minutes ago, simpleman said:

Whoa!!! Nice work!!!!!

I find the Colts 2018 pick quite interesting. Guards almost never go early but when they do I feel like there is a very high success rate. Now, Luck isn't getting beaten to within an inch of his life on every play and the Colts are playing much better.

Once again, I am beating the drum for the Bills to draft blockers. There are some players that I really like too, such as Sweat from Miss. State but the Bills have neglected the OL for far too long.

20 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Sure if you can find a partner but I think the tradedown crew is in for a dissapointing night in this QB weak draft.

don't act like peoples major needs is QB. its not like they are moving from 10 to #1-4 for a QB.

Keep in mind I am of firm belief that you only move for a QB but history has proven you wrong.. teams to move for other players. We moved how many spots to get Edmunds? 5 spots you say? hmm Again. I don't agree with the trade but some times need outweighs BPA

51 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Whoa!!! Nice work!!!!!

I find the Colts 2018 pick quite interesting. Guards almost never go early but when they do I feel like there is a very high success rate. Now, Luck isn't getting beaten to within an inch of his life on every play and the Colts are playing much better.

Once again, I am beating the drum for the Bills to draft blockers. There are some players that I really like too, such as Sweat from Miss. State but the Bills have neglected the OL for far too long.

Colts could be up and rising with the most cap space of any team next year.  They could try to go in next year.

We actually fell from 5th to 10th by winning....

We potentially could have gotten up to 3rd, if the 49ers (who seem to be coming on) played all Rams backups in week 17 and the Raiders got Chiefs backups in a similar situation.

3rd would have been a VERY nice position.  Either we get Bosa, or we get a nice package to move down to ~8th for the Jags or Giants pick.

But the 15 years of winning pointless December games to make sure we pick 10 has worked out so well.  Moral victories!

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think you ignored the context of those trades, though. Nelson, Thomas, and Barr were all selected by teams that traded down, not up. Corey Davis was selected with a pick from a trade down as well, as Tennessee got that pick in return for trading down from 1 to 15 the previous year.

LOL

He's trying to prove a point, nevermind he actually proved the opposite point.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Whoa!!! Nice work!!!!!

Talk to Arizona about Jonathan Cooper and the high success rates of guards drafted early...