Matt Barkley on the sidelines

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Welcome to the world of career backups in the NFL. This is who they are, and if you're going to have one, you want the guy who is smarter and more accurate than the others. They're not going to have great arms, and if one  does happen to have a strong arm,  all it tells you is that he was an abject failure as a starter and can't manage a game to save his life. Hello, Brandon Weeden. I'll take Barkley over Weeden ANY day of the week.

There are certain QBs that just cannot play because of their arms. Peterman is one. Barkley is another. Matt Leinart was another. Kellen Moore is another. Coaches sometimes believe these kinds of players can play in the league because of practice and preseason where their physical liabilities never really expose themselves. I have seen Barkley play in regular season games before the Bills and he even had a couple 300 yard games. But he never showed the requisite amount of oomph and he never will. He's been released by five different teams, two of them twice already.

And both of his 300 yard games were (close) losses and he threw 5 INTs in them.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There are certain QBs that just cannot play because of their arms. Peterman is one. Barkley is another. Matt Leinart was another. Kellen Moore is another. Coaches sometimes believe these kinds of players can play in the league because of practice and preseason where their physical liabilities never really expose themselves. I have seen Barkley play in regular season games before the Bills and he even had a couple 300 yard games. But he never showed the requisite amount of oomph and he never will. He's been released by five different teams, two of them twice already.

I fundamentally disagree with you because I've seen him play for other teams too. He has a better arm than Leinart even though it isn't great. His arm is no worse than McCown's. I guarantee you that. What he did against a fairly talented Jets D should register with you. He had just signed a few days before, and he ran the offense very capably (i.e., smarts and solid accuracy). He had a couple of off throws, but that's to be expected. It was the Bills' best offensive performance in terms of yardage accumulated since late 2016, and he was fresh from the street, operating with subpar talent around him, and playing on the road.

Peterman just sucks irrespective of arm strength. He shouldn't even be in the conversation not just because of that, but because he hasn't hung around long enough to have learned the pro game (as Barkely has done). That is, he doesn't qualify in this conversation. If he hangs on for 5+ years, he will. 

14 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Mainly basing it on Josh's comments after Derek was brought on. If he can guide Josh on how to prepare/be a pro then it's worth it. Just doesn't seem like Culley is getting it done (and I haven't seen him near JA during the games lately) and we need to get JA up to speed asap.

Yeah. Like I said, they know much more than I do as a casual observer. If Allen feels like he's helpful, it's worth it to keep him around as a 1m mentor.

19 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And both of his 300 yard games were (close) losses and he threw 5 INTs in them.

PS - I do realize that Bills' fans have been spoiled by Kyle Orton, who is arguably the Platonic ideal of a backup QB - starter level arm strength, smarts, proven ability to win at a .500 level, and a proven ability to walk in off the proverbial street and scratch out a victory. We'll probably never see his likes again. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I fundamentally disagree with you because I've seen him play for other teams too. He has a better arm than Leinart even though it isn't great. His arm is no worse than McCown's. I guarantee you that. What he did against a fairly talented Jets D should register with you. He had just signed a few days before, and he ran the offense very capably (i.e., smarts and solid accuracy). He had a couple of off throws, but that's to be expected. It was the Bills' best offensive performance in terms of yardage accumulated since late 2016, and he was fresh from the street, operating with subpar talent around him, and playing on the road.

Peterman just sucks irrespective of arm strength. He shouldn't even be in the conversation not just because of that, but because he hasn't hung around long enough to have learned the pro game (as Barkely has done). That is, he doesn't qualify in this conversation. If he hangs on for 5+ years, he will. 

Okay now I think you are nuts. Ha. McCown's arm is way, way stronger than Barkley's. Not even in the same ballpark. He's always had sufficient arm strength and his journeyman status was all over other things. He can easily throw the deep out, Barkley cannot.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

PS - I do realize that Bills' fans have been spoiled by Kyle Orton, who is arguably the very ideal of a backup QB - starter level arm strength, smarts, proven ability to win at a .500 level, and a proven ability to walk in off the proverbial street and scratch out a victory. We'll probably never see his likes again. 

Fitz!

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Okay now I think you are nuts. Ha. McCown's arm is way, way stronger than Barkley's. Not even in the same ballpark. He's always had sufficient arm strength and his journeyman status was all over other things. He can easily throw the deep out, Barkley cannot.

If you think McCown has had anything but a below-average arm these past five seasons, I don't know what to tell you. The guy is ancient but a decent backup nonetheless. (I'm not talking about the McCown of 2002, by the way; I'm talking about the guy we've repeatedly faced in recent years.)

8 minutes ago, Irv said:

Fitz!

Orton actually has better career stats than Fitz. He was 42-40 as a starter; Fitz is 50-75. Orton also has a higher career passer rating, but only by a tenth of a point. Fitz has been goosing his rating stats these last few years, though; the new passing rules help. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If you think McCown has had anything but a below-average arm these past five seasons, I don't know what to tell you. The guy is ancient but a decent backup nonetheless.

Orton actually has better career stats than Fitz. He was 42-40 as a starter; Fitz is 50-75. Orton also has a higher career passer rating, but only by a tenth of a point. Fitz has been goosing his rating stats these last few years, though; the new passing rules help. 

Below average can still play. I didn't say he had a strong arm. But he can make all the throws. A lot of pretty successful quarterbacks have "below average" arms. IMO there is an enormous difference between "below average" which is a minimum requirement but passing nonetheless, and "rag" which is below the minimum requirement and failing.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Below average can still play. I didn't say he had a strong arm. But he can make all the throws. A lot of pretty successful quarterbacks have "below average" arms. IMO there is an enormous difference between "below average" which is a minimum requirement but passing nonetheless, and "rag" which is below the minimum requirement and failing.

I don't think he has a rag arm. It's below average, to be sure. The same thing has always been said about Colt McCoy (rag arm), who is a great backup. 

17 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I'd love it if we sign Barkley for 2-3 years @ 5m per. He'd be our Foles (who is having a great game vs Rams tonight)

that would make him (this year) the 3rd highest paid backup ,behind Foles (9 million) Bridgewater (6) tied with Glennon. Then I noticed the article omitted Tyrod from the  'highest -paid backups"list

17 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I'd love it if we sign Barkley for 2-3 years @ 5m per. He'd be our Foles (who is having a great game vs Rams tonight)

that would make him (this year) the 3rd highest paid backup ,behind Foles (9 million) Bridgewater (6) tied with Glennon. Then I noticed the article omitted Tyrod, Flacco, Bortles.. from the  'highest -paid backups"list

20 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Given that Barkley is much younger and was far more effective in his start, it would be hard to imagine Mc'dermott preferring Derek Anderson.

True, but it’d also be hard to imagine McDermott preferring Peterman over anyone else.

Just sayin.

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Barkley has a weak arm.  I put him on the edge of capable.

I still think they sign him for a 2 year contract and they go get another guy too.

As for his cost.  He has been on 6 teams in 6 years and has made 4.8 million total.

He will trip over himself to sign a 2 year 2.5 million total contract.

I think it's smart to sign him so JA doesn't have 2 new guys in the QB room come spring.

If they can sign another "Anderson" type vet to a 1 year it would be great.

Draft a young guy in 2020.