Matt Barkley on the sidelines

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, mattynh said:

He wants an NFL job so he kind of needs to be all in.   The guy was out of the league.   Based on the Jets game,  I think he would make a decent backup option moving forward.

He was with the Bengals all preseason and took an injury settlement after he hurt his knee. He was signed by the Bills as soon as he was cleared to play. He’s not great by any means but he wasn’t necessarily out of he league like say, Sanchez was.  

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, PIZ said:

The team obviously loves Barkley too.  In McDermott's speech, he says "where's our 260 lb. QB" and someone yells "yeah Barkley" and the whole team chuckled.  That's a good sign that Barkley is all in.

I loved that, I also like that they stopped the chant at the end so everyone could turn around to look at Milano on FaceTime 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There aren't many openings for backups to get a starter's job next year.  The most likely 2 QBs on the market who can get a starting job are Foles & Flacco.  Other than those 2, I doubt any other backups will be able to get starting jobs.  Let's look at teams looking for a new starter next year, there aren't many.

Washington-If Smith is done and Jacksonville,  That's about the only teams who will be looking to sign a new starter via free agency.  Teams like the Giants will be looking to have a rookie who will sit in what will most likely be Eli's final season.  They won't be signing another team's backup to replace Manning. 

The following teams have no interest in signing a new starter via free agency:

Bills, Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers, Browns, Texans, Colts, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Cowboys, NYG, Eagles, Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Cardinals, Rams, 49ers, Seahawks.

That leaves only the following teams after Jacksonville & Washington:  Cincinnati if they decide to try to improve on Dalton, Tampa Bay if they've had enough of Winston, however they're more likely to be drafting a QB than signing a FA, Arizona-if they go the route that Marrone went with EJ & give up on a 2nd year QB without giving him more time-this is a highly unlikely scenario.

So, it will be very slim pickings for FAs looking for a starting job.  Teams with older QBs like the Giants, Saints and even NE may go for a rookie to be a backup for a year or 2.  They won't be in the Flacco/Foles market.  Good news for the Bills is Barkley won't be getting a starting job anywhere. 

14 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Maybe as a qb coach or some type of offensive quality control assistant

I just don't get the mentor thing with Anderson. He isn't particularly bright and he seems like kind of a jerk. I know he doesn't really want to play anymore, but I also sort of question his commitment to the sport. It seems like he gained the reputation as mentor by virtue of being Cam Newton's backup for so many years. I could be wrong and McDermott knows a heck of a lot more than I do about what's going on, but I don't see it.

Barkley appears to be the perfect back-up QB for this team and this situation.

Edited by BillsSB2020

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

It's nice that people are getting emotional and talking about a guy's reaction.

Still, that doesn't factor into whether it's best for the team to keep someone.

Barkley had one start where, a few weeks before, he was out of the NFL.  If he's good enough to mentor Allen and, if necessary backup, then sure, sign him.

His celebration on the sideline doesn't matter.

He played well in the preseason for Cincy and got hurt at the end of it. That's why he wasn't kept and had to wait to sign. He's an ideal backup. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's great to see and a terrific reaction and teammate.

He's a terrible backup QB despite his very good game.

Why is he a terrible backup? What is your evidence? By all accounts he played well for Cincy in preseason. Successful backups tend to be guys who've been around the block and have had time to learn the pro game. He seems to be at that point now. No one is saying he's a starter. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why is he a terrible backup? What is your evidence? By all accounts he played well for Cincy in preseason. Successful backups tend to be guys who've been around the block and have had time to learn the pro game. He seems to be at that point now. No one is saying he's a starter. 

In preseason, guys like him can excel because it's at 3/4 speed. He's Peterman plus. He's terrible because he has a rag arm that cannot succeed over time in the NFL. That is why he wasn't on any team. That is why he has been cut numerous times. That is the only reason he was drafted in the fourth and not the first round.

That is why his stats suck and he throws a ton of interceptions. Guys like Barkley are teases and they cannot play. Nobody wanted him. He is capable of lobbing the ball, getting lucky and having good halves or good games, which he did. He's not a guy you can count on in any way.  

You cannot learn to not have a rag arm. He even showed that rag arm in the Bills game. It wasn't that he needed time to learn the game, he couldn't get the ball consistently downfield fast enough

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

In preseason, guys like him can excel because it's at 3/4 speed. He's Peterman plus. He's terrible because he has a rag arm that cannot succeed over time in the NFL. That is why he wasn't on any team. That is why he has been cut numerous times. That is the only reason he was drafted in the fourth and not the first round.

That is why his stats suck and he throws a ton of interceptions. Guys like Barkley are teases and they cannot play. Nobody wanted him. He is capable of lobbing the ball, getting lucky and having good halves or good games, which he did. He's not a guy you can count on in any way.  

You cannot learn to not have a rag arm. He even showed that rag arm in the Bills game. It wasn't that he needed time to learn the game, he couldn't get the ball consistently downfield fast enough

I thought he was fine - a Josh McCown/Colt McCoy in waiting. He's better than the Blaine Gabberts, Todd Collinses, and Matt Cassels of the world. As I've said countless times, you simply want a guy who can run the offense well, be able to make most throws, and get you to 2-2 over a 4-game stretch. He's perfectly fine as a career backup. Would I take him over Glennon? Probably. I would also probably take him over Fitz, who is clearly better, because if Fitz is on your team, he WILL become the starter at some point. That outcome -- wherever he plays -- has been foreordained by the football gods. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I thought he was fine - a Josh McCown/Colt McCoy in waiting. He's better than the Blaine Gabberts, Todd Collinses, and Matt Cassels of the world. As I've said countless times, you simply want a guy who can run the offense well, be able to make most throws, and get you to 2-2 over a 4-game stretch. He's perfectly fine as a career backup. Would I take him over Glennon? Probably. I would also probabl ytake him over Fitz, who is clearly better, because if Fitz is on your team, he WILL become the starter at some point. That outcome -- wherever he plays -- has been foreordained by the football gods. 

He can't throw the ball consistently more than 15 yards. He's much smarter and more accurate than all of those guys but it's like playing a WR who runs a 5.9 40. He can have a good game and catch some balls and even score some TDs once in a while, but his physical incapability doesn't allow him to play well enough in this league. Barkley has played well about 3 times in his career, and even with that great game he has 10 TD and 18 INT and a 68 rating. It's because of his arm, only. He showed that he can make good decisions and learn offenses and lead a team. That is not his problem. His arm is his problem. 

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He can't throw the ball consistently more than 15 yards. He's much smarter and more accurate than all of those guys but it's like playing a WR who runs a 5.9 40. He can have a good game and catch some balls and even score some TDs once in a while, but his physical incapability doesn't allow him to play well enough in this league. Barkley has played well about 3 times in his career, and even with that great game he has 10 TD and 18 INT and a 68 rating. It's because of his arm, only. He showed that he can make good decisions and learn offenses and lead a team. That is not his problem. His arm is his problem. 

Welcome to the world of career backups in the NFL. This is who they are, and if you're going to have one, you want the guy who is smarter and more accurate than the others. They're not going to have great arms, and if one  does happen to have a strong arm,  all it tells you is that he was an abject failure as a starter and can't manage a game to save his life. Hello, Brandon Weeden and Ryan Mallett. I'll take Barkley over Weeden and Mallett ANY day of the week.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I just don't get the mentor thing with Anderson. He isn't particularly bright and he seems like kind of a jerk. I know he doesn't really want to play anymore, but I also sort of question his commitment to the sport. It seems like he gained the reputation as mentor by virtue of being Cam Newton's backup for so many years. I could be wrong and McDermott knows a heck of a lot more than I do about what's going on, but I don't see it.

Barkley appears to be the perfect back-up QB for this team and this situation.

Mainly basing it on Josh's comments after Derek was brought on. If he can guide Josh on how to prepare/be a pro then it's worth it. Just doesn't seem like Culley is getting it done (and I haven't seen him near JA during the games lately) and we need to get JA up to speed asap.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh