Matt Barkley on the sidelines

YoloinOhio

The team obviously loves Barkley too.  In McDermott's speech, he says "where's our 260 lb. QB" and someone yells "yeah Barkley" and the whole team chuckled.  That's a good sign that Barkley is all in.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Given that Barkley is much younger and was far more effective in his start, it would be hard to imagine Mc'dermott preferring Derek Anderson.

Anderson is gone. There is no way Barkley doesn't get the backup nod for next year. Matt is young and smart and has just enough arm to make most throws. 

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

They gave McCarron 5m per. . It's the going rate for a top notch backup who could be a starter. And it would keep him here for the foreseeable future.

McCarron was signed to be the starter. Barkley might be an ok backup, But there is a reason he was out of football. Happy to keep him for next year at much less than $5M

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I’d love to have him back. However I think he’s looking for a starting opportunity. Not sure he would get one anywhere else, though. 

It would be difficult for him to get a starting job in the league.

I think it would be great for the Bills to sign him to a 2-3 year deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Barkley has found a home in B’lo. He needs to embrace the Frank Reich role. Like Reich Barkley is a evangelical Christian who appears to have God given ability to mount comebacks. He’s best suited as a teams #2. We will need him the way Allen plays.

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Barkley letting it fly on that first play against the Jets, was the turning point of Robert Fosters career. Without that play, who knows where he is? Barkley showed me that Dabol isn’t the problem and it also got Peterman cut. He might have helped us discover McKenzie and Foster. I’m all about Barkley being back. If he has to play we will be in good shape.

Yeah, Barkley may actually be the season MVP, he's the guy that finally showed McD and McB that Peterman was not an NFL QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I hope they bring Barkley back but also Anderson in some sort of mentor role. Look at Allen before DA got here and after. He's definitely improved since DA's arrival.

I think that’s why they’ve hung unto DA this whole time with a roster spot. They probably could have IRd him. 

8 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

They gave McCarron 5m per. . It's the going rate for a top notch backup who could be a starter. And it would keep him here for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't mind Barkley coming  back. He is not a top notch backup. His Jets win was the second NFL win of his career. Not a great record.. He will never be a starter based on beating the lowly Jets. He is probably happy to hold the clipboard and be a backup. 

He's perfectly happy to get his when he gets the starting fill in job through injury and otherwise sit out as backup and root the team on. Backup Quarterbacks are a special breed. He's got enough team mentality for it .. and being a backup Quarterback rocks when you're not garbage when you fill in. He's got good backup written all over him. Next Frank Reich???

• Like (+1) 1

Excellent late season pick up i don't know why the dude sat as long as he did given how he played in Chi town, it wasn't great but there was a whole lot worse to choose from & his play the first time he stepped on the field with the Bills says it all I hope they bring him back !! 

He's had his window to show he can start, he failed.  Nothing wrong with 10+ year career as a spot starter and good QB room presence.  He flamed out in Philadelphia, Chicago and Cincinnati.  If his agent is any good and he has a level head on his shoulders, if Buffalo gives him a contract past this year he'd be crazy not to sign it. 

11 hours ago, Doc said:

I’d love to have him back. However I think he’s looking for a starting opportunity. Not sure he would get one anywhere else, though. 

Wasn't he out of football when the Bills brought him in?  Doesn't really sound like he's going to get a chance to be a starter.