[Incomplete Title] Didn't this guy play here once upon a time?

Mij yllek

49 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

We also could have had Anthony Lynn if we wanted. However, it's important to note that both Reich and Lynn came into situations where a franchise QB already was in place.

Not only franchise QB's but accompanying casts!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, vorpma said:

Not only franchise QB's but accompanying casts!

True of the chargers who I think were truly being held back by the idiot mike McCoy who has since been fired by not one but two ensuing OC jobs. But the Colts are an emerging but not established roster and a QB coming back from long term injury of his ..: throwing. Shoulder. Reich gets my COY vote for sure. 

I wanted Reich for the Bills coach. He seems to have a good grasp on being the head coach and not the coordinator in chief. 

I wanted no part of Lynn and while I'm happy for him because he was the best part of Rex's staff. I don't think he would have enjoyed success here. I think he would have had a much harder time attracting staff to Buffalo.

All that being said, I am happy with McDermott. He has the defense playing well and hasn't lost the team despite the losing. I'll be interested to see what happens with Allen at QB for a full season along with an offseason to work on his issues. If this team could put up a meager amount of points instead of an embarrassing amount then they can win 9-10 games without adding any free agents in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

I wanted Reich for the Bills coach. He seems to have a good grasp on being the head coach and not the coordinator in chief. 

I wanted no part of Lynn and while I'm happy for him because he was the best part of Rex's staff. I don't think he would have enjoyed success here. I think he would have had a much harder time attracting staff to Buffalo.

All that being said, I am happy with McDermott. He has the defense playing well and hasn't lost the team despite the losing. I'll be interested to see what happens with Allen at QB for a full season along with an offseason to work on his issues. If this team could put up a meager amount of points instead of an embarrassing amount then they can win 9-10 games without adding any free agents in the offseason.

I really like all three of these coaches. The chargers are my second team and I admittedly have some issues with Lynn’s game management and some other stuff but at the end of the day I can’t argue with the results.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really like all three of these coaches. The chargers are my second team and I admittedly have some issues with Lynn’s game management and some other stuff but at the end of the day I can’t argue with the results.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lynn and the job he's done there. I think there's guys who coach bad teams to acceptable results, coaches who can coach very good teams to very good results, guys who can coach anything and all the levels in between. Lynn just doesn't strike me as a guy who can coach a bad team and take on the organizational responsibility that's on the head coach in Buffalo. Marv Levy always struck me as the same type of coach as I perceive Lynn to be..

tl;dr I think Lynn was an exceptionally smart hire for the Charges and would have been a very bad one for the Bills.

Edited by jeremy2020

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Lynn and the job he's done there. I think there's guys who coach bad teams to acceptable results, coaches who can coach very good teams to very good results, guys who can coach anything and all the levels in between. Lynn just doesn't strike me as a guy who can coach a bad team and take on the organizational responsibility that's on the head coach in Buffalo. Marv Levy always struck me as the same type of coach as I perceive Lynn to be..

I cant bring myself to think the chargers will ever win anything of consequence. But I also did not think they would beat the Steelers or Chiefs on the road. They have so much talent but I always think something is missing. It’s usually coaching. Lynn has been very up and down but he has really good coordinators. Maybe this is (finally) their year??

1 hour ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

We also could have had Anthony Lynn if we wanted. However, it's important to note that both Reich and Lynn came into situations where a franchise QB already was in place.

Yeah, that is a very pertinent factor.  Both Lynn and Reich are good coaches, but the presence of a franchise QB gives them an automatic head start that McDermott didn't have.  I think McDermott is going to be fine, and I'm encouraged that Josh Allen looks increasingly like he has the essential characteristics to develop into a franchise QB.  When he does, he'll be younger and have many more years ahead of him than Luck/Rivers.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Good post - 2019 will be the deciding year! I remain optimistic!

10 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think there's guys who coach bad teams to acceptable results, coaches who can coach very good teams to very good results, guys who can coach anything and all the levels in between. Lynn just doesn't strike me as a guy who can coach a bad team and take on the organizational responsibility that's on the head coach in Buffalo. Marv Levy always struck me as the same type of coach as I perceive Lynn to be.

Completely agree. I think it remains a question for McDermott on the flip side too. He has proven he is a good football coach and can eek every last ounce out of undertalented rosters. But there are guys who can do that and then never win when they get given really good rosters - I think Marvin Lewis fits into that category, I think to a lesser extent Jim Harbaugh does too. McDermott needs to show that he isn't a guy for whom 9 or 10 wins is a ceiling even when the talent is there. I am confident he can, but he has to prove it.

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

If McDermott doesn't work out here, I think bills fans will have big regrets not hiring him

Given the way that either Reich or Lynn are leading their respective teams i would say that if McD doesn't make it happen that the Pegs will be kicking them selves in the ass & if they don't some one else should remind them & kick them in the shorts !!