Zay Jones is bad

Jpsredemption

Not to play devils advocate but the one he dropped over the middle today was more on Allen than him.  Yes it hit his hands but the throw was much higher than it should have been.  Zay has definitely been a disappointment but I really think only the elite receivers would have caught that ball.

1 minute ago, Talley56 said:

Not to play devils advocate but the one he dropped over the middle today was more on Allen than him.  Yes it hit his hands but the throw was much higher than it should have been.  Zay has definitely been a disappointment but I really think only the elite receivers would have caught that ball.

This is the NFL...if the ball hits you in the hands, you have to catch it or they'll find someone who will.

• Like (+1) 1

He's terrible but is relatively cheap on a rookie deal. He will not be cut. They already need a true #1. Foster is not a number 1. They need a guy with size and speed. They need a guy with a huge catch radius. They will draft a WR high. Or make a trade. No free agent will be worth the money.

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

Zay is a slot.  He could be a very good slot I think but he's a slot.  If you want to call that the number 3, sure whatever.  He has no business facing another team's number 1 corner.  

While I agree w you that he is a slot, facing another team’s top corner is no excuse for the dropped passes that hit him in the hands and numbers.  He has shown improvement this year, but from a very low base.  Must become more consistent.  Given how he has played so far, I would say his ceiling is Stevie Johnson (can get open and make some plays, drops too many passes, including clutch ones that are catchable).

Edit:  just reread your comment, I think we are in agreement. 

Edited by Bill Murray

10 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

This is the NFL...if the ball hits you in the hands, you have to catch it or they'll find someone who will.

And if you’re a quarterback you need to be able to hit the receiver in the numbers or else they will find someone else.

14 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

Wow... watch some other NFL offenses. Golladay caught 3 different passes today that were more difficult than anything Zay dropped. Golladay is not elite, just a pretty good NFL receiver.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow... watch some other NFL offenses. Golladay caught 3 different passes today that were more difficult than anything Zay dropped. Golladay is not elite, just a pretty good NFL receiver.

The passes to Galladay were no where near as difficult as the one to Zay.

Just now, Talley56 said:

The passes to Galladay were no where near as difficult as the one to Zay.

Lol! Golladay literally ripped the ball out of Levi Wallace's hands, and caught another deep pass while White was interfering with him. Zay had a pass hit him in the hands a tiny bit over his head.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Lol! Golladay literally ripped the ball out of Levi Wallace's hands, and caught another deep pass while White was interfering with him. Zay had a pass hit him in the hands a tiny bit over his head.

The one he caught over Wallace went through Wallace’s hands and right into his chest.  Both were tough catches yes but I would still say it’s tougher to catch a ball thrown way over your head.

16 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

The one he caught over Wallace went through Wallace’s hands and right into his chest.  Both were tough catches yes but I would still say it’s tougher to catch a ball thrown way over your head.

Was not way over his head.  It was a pass NFL receivers are supposed to make. 

As per my thread, you look a every game and there are difficult catches being made.  With the bills even feathering a pass in, they bobble it and it goes to video review.

Zay just disappoints week after week.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I haven't even seen flashes. I mean he has caught some passes but has he made one next level play? He misses routine plays and hasn't made a single great play. I'm done with him.

Be patient and don't make an early judgment. He's certainly struggled especially when he is getting the priority coverage. What I am miffed about is how he is being used? He is more of a slot and underneath receiver. Yet there are too many routes where he is the made to be the deep receiver. He doesn't have the speed and explosion to adequately run those routes. I'm confident that when our offense is upgraded and the qb gains experience he will be a productive receiver for us. Is he going to be anything special? Probably not. But that doesn't mean that he can't be a productive receiver for us. Be patient and encouraging. You will be rewarded.