Zay Jones is bad

Jpsredemption

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Save for the Miami game .. in which he also had a couple of passes go through his hands .. this guy has been atrocious over nearly two years. He is not going to help Allens cause with his wild play.

If it's me I'm looking to replace him at all costs this offseason.

I was hoping the Zay we saw year one, fighting every catch, was gone. Not-so-much.

I don't know if he will ever develop the consistency to be that go to receiver for us, and I have been rooting for this kid to turn it around, but the killer drops at key moments keep coming. At best a #3 and I don't know if he has the hands to play that slot position.... too early, but the clock is ticking.

OBD needs to do a better job vetting their early round WR prospects to see if they were dropping as many passes as they were catching in college. To see if they catch cleanly with their hands instead of trapping with their body, etc... beating a dead horse, but we need receivers with speed and hands so Josh can shred other teams deep.

It's odd. Seems like he is polar opposite of what he was in college. He was a guy who never dropped balls and what up and made tremendous grabs. Not sure what happened to that... Sure he was going against weaker competition but that doesn't explain why all of a sudden he struggled to catch footballs.

But I'm thinking Thompson is really holding this WR core back. Stealing time from Foster and McKenzie and dropping big balls in crucial situations. Deonte just is not the same player he was just last year. He needs to be let go.

Zay should probably be our #4 going into next year until his play dictates otherwise. Unfortunately this is an atrocious FA WR class. It's going to take trades or immediate impact rookies to change the makeup of our group going into next year in any sort of meaningful way. The absolute best we could hope for, as it stands, would be to get someone like Funchess, and he's not even that good.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

he has regressed as the season progressed,  Foster and McKenzie have both lapped Zay in just a few weeks , great finds by e front office! Can't believe this Foster kid wasn't even starting at Alabama.  3 straight 100 yard games! 

Amazing how Foster has done all of this after having been cut.  

1 hour ago, Talley56 said:

And if you’re a quarterback you need to be able to hit the receiver in the numbers or else they will find someone else.

The first round guy they took after trading up with 2 seconds isn't getting cut anytime soon.  The 2nd rounder from 2017 they traded a 3rd to move up for, well, that's a different story. 

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

He is mentally tough enough

You have no idea what that kid's been through.  Mental health is not something to make fun of.   

57 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

It’s insane because coming out of East Carolina he broke records for receptions. He had reliable hands. 

He comes to this level and he immediately has unreliable hands and from Game 1 last year. Really frustrating. 

Phil McGeoghan clearly knows WRs.  Or at least he knew how to advocate for Buffalo to take him.  Either way, OBD hasn't set the world on fire with offensive players in the draft these last few years. 

1 hour ago, Talley56 said:

The one he caught over Wallace went through Wallace’s hands and right into his chest.  Both were tough catches yes but I would still say it’s tougher to catch a ball thrown way over your head.

Yes, failing to make a catch right in your hands is far more valuable than the Lions receptions in the midst of coverage today....

19 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Amazing how Foster has done all of this after having been cut.  

The first round guy they took after trading up with 2 seconds isn't getting cut anytime soon.  The 2nd rounder from 2017 they traded a 3rd to move up for, well, that's a different story. 

You have no idea what that kid's been through.  Mental health is not something to make fun of.   

Phil McGeoghan clearly knows WRs.  Or at least he knew how to advocate for Buffalo to take him.  Either way, OBD hasn't set the world on fire with offensive players in the draft these last few years. 

That isnt what im eluding to- in game mental toughness- concentrating on the tip of the ball etc...

16 hours ago, par73 said:

About a month ago, he seemed to be improving, and there seemed to be hope for the future (at least compared to last year). Since then, he has regressed to last year's "Stone Hands Jones."

I'd tend to agree on your time line, lets see what happened under a month ago??  hmmmmm.... wait the Bills cut Benjamin  I'm not saying he was any good, but he still was the teams #1 or 1A guy and drew the tougher coverage.  Now Zay is likely facing the other teams #1 CB and sometimes probably even double teams.  Wouldn't be shocked next week if Foster becomes the WR drawing the tightest coverage.

And has also been pointed he belongs in the slot.

Think Foster could become a good #2 guy. draft or sign a good WR who if nothing else becomes the #1 WR by default, Foster is #2 then Zay can become full time slot guy and lets see how he looks then.  I recall when he was first drafted, was talked about how he'll be a good slot guy, but hardly has had the chance to play there.

I'm sure everyone will argue how KB sucked, but Zay was starting to come on right up til they got rid of KB.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

17 hours ago, Talley56 said:

Not to play devils advocate but the one he dropped over the middle today was more on Allen than him.  Yes it hit his hands but the throw was much higher than it should have been.  Zay has definitely been a disappointment but I really think only the elite receivers would have caught that ball.

You're right.  People will only see the first line and argue. He should have caught it but the ball was high while he was falling down and it was contested.  Wouldnt put it 100% on him

• Like (+1) 1

I think Jones could progress more in year 3. In year 1 Jones looked completely lost and not worthy of being on an NFL roster. In year 2 Jones at least looks like a low end slot receiver. That's not saying much in isolation but it is a huge leap of progression from year 1 to 2. Zay is still young and the QB situation this year was a mess. Give Zay an off-season to build off of his improvement in year 2 and to develop consistency with Allen and I think he develops into a solid WR3. 

That being said I think the Bills likely need to make a big play for at least one WR via trade or free agency. Foster, Zay, and Mackenzie are all showing that they are capable WR's but I wouldn't want to enter into any season just relying on them. Personally I would bring in a vet WR1 and a rookie WR in round 2. Let Zay, Foster, Mac, and a rookie battle it out, depth is never a bad thing.