Cheats latest illegal play

11 hours ago, Tuco said:

Actually it was very productive. The clock was running down so the Pats* lined up on 4th and short as though they were going to go for it. This convinced Pitt not to use their time out, which they would have if they were sure the Pats were going to punt. But with the Pats* O on the field Pitt didn't want to leave them any more time than they had to if they converted. So the clock continued to run.

Then after the Pats* ran a bunch of seconds off the clock they swapped the entire offense for the punt team. By then it was too late for Pitt to gain anything by using their time out. Despite the OP's accusation of cheating, Pitt didn't even attempt to substitute, so there was no issue there. It was a smart play by Belicheat*. On the douchy side, sure. But smart, productive, and effective.

But Pitt could have asked for time to substitute and been given an official time out, correct?

Effective is as effective does.  The Pats lost.  AHhhhhhhh.

I actually thought that the Steelers played that right and the Pats kind of out thought themselves. Pats were down 7 with a yard to go. They should have just went for it there. I think they were trying to get the Steelers to use a timeout and then come back to go for it on fourth down. Instead the Steelers just let them punt it and went into the half up 7. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But Pitt could have asked for time to substitute and been given an official time out, correct?

Effective is as effective does.  The Pats lost.  AHhhhhhhh.

Not a time out, the ref just holds things up for a reasonable amount of time. It's not like the Pats rushed the punt snap to catch them off guard. The Steelers made no attempt to substitute. One of the DBs went deep to field the punt and the Steelers seemed content with that. There really seems to be a lot more being made of this than there should be, starting with the OP calling it an illegal play.

ARTICLE 10. DEFENSIVE MATCHUPS FOLLOWING SUBSTITUTIONS. If a substitution is made by the offense, the offense shall not be permitted to snap the ball until the defense has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a substitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If the offense substitutes, the following procedure will apply:

(a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable time to complete its substitutions.

(b) If the offense snaps the ball before the defense has had an opportunity to complete its substitutions, and a defensive foul for too many players on the field results, no penalties will be enforced, except for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct, and the down will be replayed. At this time, the Referee will notify the head coach that any further use of this tactic will result in a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. The game clock will be reset to the time remaining when the snap occurred, and the clock will start on the snap. Note: The quick-snap rule does not apply after the two-minute warning of either half, or if there is not a substitution by the offense.

(c) On a fourth-down punting situation, the Referee and the Umpire will not allow a quick snap that prevents the defense from having a reasonable time to complete its substitutions. This applies throughout the entire game.

(d) If the play clock expires before the defense has completed its substitution, it is delay of game by the offense.

Edited by Tuco

16 hours ago, row_33 said:

A lot of Bills fans have fallen into a pit of thinking lousy football is the only thing out there, not their fault after 20 years of this 

Bills/Lions wasn’t even a warmup game for a JV contest

A lot of that has to do with Bills fans mostly watching Bills games and not many other games each week. Judging by the sunday night game thread a lot of Bills fans are missing out on good football being played each week. 

13 hours ago, mrags said:

Technically if they don’t make an attempt to substitute then your right. But with like 10 secs left on the play clock, it was obvious the Cheatriots were either attempting to catch them off or make them use a late time out. 

The refs can delay for the Steelers to substitute even past the play clock, causing New England to get delay of game or waste a TO. The Steelers didn't try to substitute,  so it didn't matter.

8 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

I hate the patriots more than almost anything else on this planet, but I had to respect that play. It wasn't that it was all that genius of an idea or anything, it was just a sign of really great coaching. Say what you want about Beli, but he gets his boys ready week in and week out. How many teams can get 11 guys off the field, get 11 new ones on, snap the ball and execute the play that quickly. I've seen the Bills struggle to put their nickel package out there without putting 12 men out there or having a db facing the wrong way like a madden glitch. I've seen KB routinely have 0 clue where he is supposed to be while being the supposed #1 reciever on the offense and relying on a second year player to hold his hand pre snap. 

I don't think this was against the rules, and honestly i don't even think it was all that effective. Just showed that every guy on that team down to the special teamers can do the routine things in their sleep, and that takes great coaching. 

But still, ***** the Pats. 

I don't really get the whole "great coaching" thing either.  

The Pats were near mid field, 4th and short.   Keep the offense on the field and just don't snap the ball....like a million other teams do constantly... and take the delay of game penalty.  

Punt the ball through the end zone and leave Pitt with like 25 seconds in the half.  

Running the punt team out there only saved them the meaningless 5 yard penalty.     

6 hours ago, Tuco said:

(d) If the play clock expires before the defense has completed its substitution, it is delay of game by the offense.

Didn't know about (d).  Tomlin could have slow rolled his subs and given the Cheats a DOG.  Now that would have been hilarious.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

20 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Didn't know about (d).  Tomlin could have slow rolled his subs and given the Cheats a DOG.  Now that would have been hilarious.

It wouldn't have bothered the Cheats in the least. The whole idea for the stunt was to kill as much clock as they could before giving the ball back to Pitt.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No. The refs give them a REASONABLE amount of time to sub. If the defense takes too long, they'll let them snap the ball without the defense being fully subbed.