Cheats latest illegal play

I think the play in question was legal. But it was a Bellichick douche special. The Pats have regularly run a number of borderline illegal plays over the last few years that are just unsportsmanlike in their spirit but fall into grey areas of the rules.  I hate the fact that somehow Bellichick is respected for doing this as if its the sign of a great coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Cheats had 4th and 1 at midfield against the Squeelers.  With :25 on the play clock, Brady pats the center on the ass, and they run off the field and run the punt team on.  Squeelers confused, they keep the D out there, not realizing that the Cheats MUST give the Squeelers an equal chance to substitute.  All the announcers could do was ballwash Belicheat, instead of pointing out how illegal that play was.  Just so sick and tired of the praise heaped on Belicheat when he finds new and innovative ways to cheat.  If you're that good, why don't you just beat teams straight up, you cheating ass *****!?

It's only illegal if the Steelers don't get an opportunity to substitute.  I didn't see that play, so I don't know what happened after what you describe, but the officials have declared an official timeout to give the defense a chance to substitute (I believe that happened in the past couple weeks.)  

But it's not illegal to rush your punt time out after lining up the offense, or vice-versa.  Rather unproductive and silly, and it illustrates how much the Pats have fallen from seasons' past.  But in and of itself, not illegal.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I think the play in question was legal. But it was a Bellichick douche special. The Pats have regularly run a number of borderline illegal plays over the last few years that are just unsportsmanlike in their spirit but fall into grey areas of the rules.  I hate the fact that somehow Bellichick is respected for doing this as if its the sign of a great coach.

Finding ways to give your team an advantage by exploiting gray areas or loopholes in the rule book is called being intelligent.

23 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Do you not believe in trick plays? Or is being good at them somehow frowned upon?

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Cheats had 4th and 1 at midfield against the Squeelers.  With :25 on the play clock, Brady pats the center on the ass, and they run off the field and run the punt team on.  Squeelers confused, they keep the D out there, not realizing that the Cheats MUST give the Squeelers an equal chance to substitute.  All the announcers could do was ballwash Belicheat, instead of pointing out how illegal that play was.  Just so sick and tired of the praise heaped on Belicheat when he finds new and innovative ways to cheat.  If you're that good, why don't you just beat teams straight up, you cheating ass *****!?

You need to step up your knowledge on the game of football. Nice try though

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Do you not believe in trick plays? Or is being good at them somehow frowned upon?

I'm not talking about trick plays at all. I am talking about plays like today where they rush people on and off, make weird substitutions etc. Or what they did with their formations in the playoffs a few years back. There is a lot of pre snap stuff. Just douchey stuff like that. Just play the damn game.

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Smart plays are now considered illegal?

A lot of Bills fans have fallen into a pit of thinking lousy football is the only thing out there, not their fault after 20 years of this 

Bills/Lions wasn’t even a warmup game for a JV contest

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Smart plays are now considered illegal?

Belicheat does always just flirt with pushing the boundaries of cheating, and straight-up will cheat if he thinks he can get away with it.

Is what it is, I still remember him fouling up our no-huddle as the defensive coordinator of the Giants in our first SB, where his players would feign injury to do substitutions and then trot out fine the next play.  The following year (I think) they added a rule that an "injured" player could not come back in for a couple plays. Belichick's antics pretty much keep the rules committee busy every offseason plugging the holes he finds around the rules.

I would praise him for being crafty, if he were our coach, but he sucks because he isn't.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I'm not talking about trick plays at all. I am talking about plays like today where they rush people on and off, make weird substitutions etc. Or what they did with their formations in the playoffs a few years back. There is a lot of pre snap stuff. Just douchey stuff like that. Just play the damn game.

So presnap trickery is where you draw the line? Other deception or misdirections all good?

or you just hate them?

Just now, NoSaint said:

So presnap trickery is where you draw the line? Other deception or misdirections all good?

or you just hate them?

Of course I hate them, As any true Bills fan should. Misdirection and offensive creativity on the field during play  has nothing to do with what I was talking about.  If Bellichick was the genius coach that he is lauded to be then why the need for all this stuff?

2 hours ago, John in Jax said:

You know what though, I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Pats, so I hope the Pats win.

You are a disturbed Bills fan sir.

Patriots are the evil that has marginalized us to the pits of the world.

59 minutes ago, row_33 said:

A lot of Bills fans have fallen into a pit of thinking lousy football is the only thing out there, not their fault after 20 years of this 

Bills/Lions wasn’t even a warmup game for a JV contest

Night and day between these 2 games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

It's only illegal if the Steelers don't get an opportunity to substitute.  I didn't see that play, so I don't know what happened after what you describe, but the officials have declared an official timeout to give the defense a chance to substitute (I believe that happened in the past couple weeks.)  

But it's not illegal to rush your punt time out after lining up the offense, or vice-versa.  Rather unproductive and silly, and it illustrates how much the Pats have fallen from seasons' past.  But in and of itself, not illegal.

Actually it was very productive. The clock was running down so the Pats* lined up on 4th and short as though they were going to go for it. This convinced Pitt not to use their time out, which they would have if they were sure the Pats were going to punt. But with the Pats* O on the field Pitt didn't want to leave them any more time than they had to if they converted. So the clock continued to run.

Then after the Pats* ran a bunch of seconds off the clock they swapped the entire offense for the punt team. By then it was too late for Pitt to gain anything by using their time out. Despite the OP's accusation of cheating, Pitt didn't even attempt to substitute, so there was no issue there. It was a smart play by Belicheat*. On the douchy side, sure. But smart, productive, and effective.

Edited by Tuco
  • Thank you (+1) 1

OK, so maybe it wasn't illegal, per se.  It's certainly cheating, and against the spirit of the rules.  I agree with DC Tom, the officials should have allowed the Squeelers to substitute, but they're the stupidest people on the field, so good luck with that.  I can see a situation where the Squeelers try to substitute, and in the confusion, the Cheats run a fake, get the 1st down, and the refs just say "Tough titty".  

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

OK, so maybe it wasn't illegal, per se.  It's certainly cheating, and against the spirit of the rules.  I agree with DC Tom, the officials should have allowed the Squeelers to substitute, but they're the stupidest people on the field, so good luck with that.  I can see a situation where the Squeelers try to substitute, and in the confusion, the Cheats run a fake, get the 1st down, and the refs just say "Tough titty".  

If it isn't illegal, it isn't cheating.  The Steelers didn't try to substitute.  If they had,  they would have prevented the Patriots from snapping the ball until they substituted. 

Not everything new that happens is cheating.

5 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Lol.  It wasn’t illegal.

No but the rub pick play they always do on every critical pass play for 10 years finally got called on them today.   

Should be a staple of every team, severely underutilized.  Allowed to pick inside 1 yard of the LOS, almost impossible to stop.

Pats just push that to 2,3,4 or 5 yards downfield and never get called for it.   Ti today.

• Like (+1) 1