The Lions chose to go after Tre White

YoloinOhio

Honestly, the plays Tre has had made on him aren't really much fault of his own. He's been in position and most times QBs will throw elsewhere when seeing how well Tre has his man covered. But against the Jets and yesterday against the Lions, the throws were just unbelievable. Almost every CB is gonna get beat when the throw is in a position where only the receiver has a shot at it. 

Tre has been solid all season, despite a couple of big plays made on him the last couple weeks, it still isn't that bad compared to what he's done over the entire year.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

While we are on the subject the least heralded elite corner in the league was on the other side today and was absolutely outstanding as per usual. The Bills did a really clever job of staying away from Slay for the most part and going at the other guys in that secondary. 

Slay owned Zay and basically punched him in the mouth with his play.  I mean, it was less about Slay making plays on the pass and more that he dominated Zay.  He had Zay always flailing and out of position.  Allen put some beautiful passes to Zay and he either flat out dropped them or Slay had him flustered where he didn’t make the proper move to catch the pass.  

Yeatersay showed that Zay is not a starting WR in the NFL.  It was a terrible game by him.  

The only 2 WRs that should still be here next year are Foster and McKenzie.  Foster as a starter and McKenzie as WR depth and ST.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

17 hours ago, HOUSE said:

And the Lions scored 13 points

Image result for house series gif

Good point, getting only 13 scored on us, was quite an achievement! especially versus Stafford who can sling t everywhere in the field. It has been remarkable since ...forever... how well our DST adjusts in second half and blanks teams consistently.

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Slay owned Zay and basically punched him in the mouth with his play.  I mean, it was less about Slay making plays on the pass and more that he dominated Zay.  He had Zay always flailing and out of position.  Allen put some beautiful passes to Zay and he either flat out dropped them or Slay had him flustered where he didn’t make the proper move to catch the pass.  

Yeatersay showed that Zay is not a starting WR in the NFL.  It was a terrible game by him.  

The only 2 WRs that should still be here next year are Foster and McKenzie.  Foster as a starter and McKenzie as WR depth and ST.  

One of the few times they showed the downfield angle, Jones was running a go route matched up against Slay. It looked more like Slay was running the route and Jones was in coverage.

I would ditch the go route for Zay unless he's matched up against a safety or a LB. Certainly not gonna work against a top athlete.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Slay is elite. He gets very little props because he plays for Detroit but there are higher profile "name" corners - Jimmy Smith, Malcolm Butler, Marcus Peters etc who are nowhere near Slay. Even the Jags pair, who are very good, get way more hype but are not quite at his level. Shutting down Zay Jones is like child's play to someone of his level, he has owned far better players than Zay.

I do agree Zay is not an NFL starter though. To be honest I'd kind of resigned myself to that even before this season. He might stick as a cheap backup because he has experience inside and outside but backup level is where he is. Foster and McKenzie both have roles here for me next year but I want them as my 3 and my 4 with a high ceiling rookie and a proper, experienced, vet leader (because it is otherwise a very young room) as my #1 and #2. I've set out my ideal scenario in another thread so won't repeat in detail here.

28 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

So, that was White's worst game as a pro right?  

Nah. I think he was worse last weekend. This week he was in position on pretty much every one of those plays. Just go beat by a beast. Robby actually worked him over properly last week to the point where he got grabby and panicky. It happens. Even to the best. The other guys get paid too and there are some great ones knocking around.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Slay is elite. He gets very little props because he plays for Detroit but there are higher profile "name" corners - Jimmy Smith, Malcolm Butler, Marcus Peters etc who are nowhere near Slay. Even the Jags pair, who are very good, get way more hype but are not quite at his level. Shutting down Zay Jones is like child's play to someone of his level, he has owned far better players than Zay.

I do agree Zay is not an NFL starter though. To be honest I'd kind of resigned myself to that even before this season. He might stick as a cheap backup because he has experience inside and outside but backup level is where he is. Foster and McKenzie both have roles here for me next year but I want them as my 3 and my 4 with a high ceiling rookie and a proper, experienced, vet leader (because it is otherwise a very young room) as my #1 and #2. I've set out my ideal scenario in another thread so won't repeat in detail here.

Nah. I think he was worse last weekend. This week he was in position on pretty much every one of those plays. Just go beat by a beast. Robby actually worked him over properly last week to the point where he got grabby and panicky. It happens. Even to the best. The other guys get paid too and there are some great ones knocking around.

If i recall correctly, Anderson also beat him for a TD last year on TNF. That should be a good battle going forward with two good young players. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

If i recall correctly, Anderson also beat him for a TD last year on TNF. That should be a good battle going forward with two good young players. 

I'd rather the Jets try and go cheap with the RFA tag on Robby and we pinch him and put him in blue! I doubt he is a McDermott type of guy, but still.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

he has great ball skills but his lack of size and speed is a problem and was a concern to me at the draft. Thought McD's D helped him out but now he might be getting exposed. Hopefully he can get it figured out, dont want to be drafting corners all day.

I too thinks he's got great instincts, covers very well, can support the run D.... but lacks ball skills. When he's beat he's usually VERY close to the WR or even all over him, yet he doesn't time his jump well at all. He has rarely been beat as in a blown coverage or someone just passing him by/juking him. It's his ball skills.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

he’s a good player but I’m not sure he’s considered a top WR in the league. Whatever he is, they had not been throwing to him until today which is the whole reason for my question  

I've had Golladay all season with much success - granted I had Jones Jr. and just lucked out on which weeks I started either, but Golladay produced better when the top DBs were covering Jones and Tate. With Jones down Golladay was seeing some top DB coverage and had a bit of a learning curve but is now showing he is the receiver for them. 

Also affected by the RB carousel in Detroit of Kerryon Johnson, Blount, and Riddick - despite what we saw yesterday, with Johnson out especially, the lions rely on him for both handoffs and screens and live off both opening up the passing game. Without it they could only really rely on Golladay for postive yards yesterday.

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

Bob Woods was the best WR on the Bills during his entire tenure in Buffalo.  He certainly is a top WR.

He's the best WR on the Rams, too -- and about as reliable and durable as any WR can be -- even if he wasn't Goff's favorite receiver when Kupp was healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

He's the best WR on the Rams, too -- and about as reliable and durable as any WR can be -- even if he wasn't Goff's favorite receiver when Kupp was healthy.

and he was an outstanding blocker.  it's not hard to miss bob woods.

Like clockwork for the fans to start picking on the Bills best players. Once again you guys picking apart White are amazing. Did the same thing to Gilmore and you were wrong then and you are wrong about White. He's a great player. All great players give up plays in this league.