Buffalo picked the right Josh

Nuncha

8 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Draft analysts? You mean media guys or TBD members? Because as far as I recall, at the time when Bills were on the clock there were like 40+ posts in draft thread screaming ROSEN and maybe two people (Nihilirian and somebody else) were saying Allen. There was like 90%+ consensus to pick Rosen on this board...

I had no idea since I don't want college but I am happy we picked Allen. And if he is who he seems to be, then Beane is a genius no matter how many mistakes he otherwise makes.

I had Mayfield as top QB and Allen as second best QB prospect of draft night.  So I was one of the ones calling for Allen to be the pick and wanted nothing to do with Rosen on draft night as I felt he had the highest bust potential.  

I also was one of the few around here who did not want to cut Foster in preseason and kept saying he had potential and that he would make the roster.  

So its been fun seeing both of them start to shine together!  

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He has been better than I thought he'd be, he's showing potential. Better than I thought. That said, it's not saying much. That stat line and 14 points vs a bad team isn't proving much at all to me. I hope he ends up the best, because he's a Bill.

As I said Allen haters will hate. You are one. Does the stat line show his leadership skills or doesn't that fit your narrative? Does it show a 4th quarter comeback win or doesn't that fit your narrative? Does it show Allen 1 Stafford 0 or doesn't that fit your narrative? You love the box score because you think it helps your sad narrative. Does WIN count or doesn't that fit your narrative? Like I said haters will hate for no other reason than their guy didn't get drafted.

• Like (+1) 3

If you watched the game today and didn't see a strong passing game from Allen, I just don't know what to say.  The completion percentage is meaningless without context. There were drops as usual, passes thrown away that should have been thrown away, and even the passes that were simply incomplete the majority of them were accurate passes that the DB simply made a play on. 

I remember thinking as I was watching the replay of the Foster touchdown that Allen looked great standing tall in the pocket, a pocket which actually held up for him and allowed him to step into his throw and not throw it on the run and off balance for a change.  If we can get an O-Line in front of him and give him a pocket to sit in he is going to tear this league up. 

This was by far Allen's best passing performance yet.  The completion percentage doesn't tell the story today.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

We did get the right Josh despite all the national media and TBD forum haters. I am very happy to see the haters becoming increasingly silent on this forum as they begrudgingly acknowledge their error or slither into the darkness of no posts on this subject while eating their crow. It was getting tedious just reading their hate. But then haters, blinded by their hatred will always hate especially if they were disciples of Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.

This could be the best qb class in a long time but I'm going out on a limb and saying all three not counting Rosen will be real good! 

I wanted Allen more than other QBs before draft. I don't watch college footbal, but I watched his highlights on Youtube, his passes 60yrds by air, his throws on running for 40 yds. and so on. Of course he had flaws, every  pre-draft specialiist talked about his inaccuracy. But I wanted him. He is spectacular.  And he is tough guy. Rosen is soft boy. It was seen by face and body language.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am happy with how Josh Allen looks and I was very pleased with him today. 

But Josh Rosen is on the biggest mess of a franchise in the NFL with very little talent and a coach a million miles out of his depth. And he has played well in parts. Way too early to write him off. 

Gunner ... respected many of your points in the past .. but on this one ... I'm hard pressed to concur that Rosen has less talent than our Josh.

Granted running on fumes but Larry Fitz, Christian Kirk, and David Johnson .. Ricky Seals Jones ... may all start on our squad .. now their OL .. yep that's bad

14 hours ago, Jasovon said:

I had Rosen as my top guy and Allen as my second. Rosen looks awful, yes he has no talent around him but Allen makes guys around him better.

David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald said hi.

8 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Gunner ... respected many of your points in the past .. but on this one ... I'm hard pressed to concur that Rosen has less talent than our Josh.

Granted running on fumes but Larry Fitz, Christian Kirk, and David Johnson .. Ricky Seals Jones ... may all start on our squad .. now their OL .. yep that's bad

David Johnson would start here and be our best running back, certainly. Fitz would be a starter here for his leadership alone but he is done. Kirk has had a Zay Jones like season. Some nice games and lots of drops and Seals Jones sucks. 

Add to that he doesn't have a defense to keep games close and allow them to stay even a little bit balanced and he has absolutely horrific coaching. 

Actually to me the coaching is the main issue. If they keep Wilkes I doubt much improves at all in 2019. 

And while I agree Josh Allen is playing better and doing more with bad talent around him his mobility is a big factor in that. My point is not to argue that Allen isn't outperforming Rosen in similarly difficult circumstances - it is simply that people wanting to write Rosen off as a bust given what he is facing are horribly premature. Remember Sam Bradford who has been a middle of the road Quarterback his whole career also looked bottom of the league, unspeakably bad for 'Zona this year. It is just a mess there. 

This post lacks an incredible amount of insight and analysis.

Rosen is playing with four OL out for the year in a system that does not take advantage of Rosen's greatest strengths. His top young WR who he had built chemistry with (Christian Kirk) is out for the season with injury. The Cardinals defense is near the bottom 3rd in the league, the Bills is second overall total yardage. Just about everything that could set a QB up for failure is present for Rosen. For as bad as the Bills offense has been, Arizona is 700 yards worse.

Rosen certainly has his issues, but no QB is going to succeed in that environment and with the beating he has taken I would argue he already is behind in progress because that enforces bad habits which are hard to break. Say what you want about Beane and McD, but they smartly hired an OC who is trying to maxmize Allen's best qualities and give him time despite a pours O-Line. It took Beane some time but Foster and McKenzie have helped to give the offense some speed which Allen needed to progress. Rosen has none of that support outside of a good leader in Larry Fitzgerald who teams can double and that is that.

I know fans hate hearing that situation matters for QB tremendously in determining their success but it is the truth. Their HC Wilks as it was is a defensive guy and he hired a retread OC in McCoy which expect-idly blew up in his face. If I was the AZ GM/HC I would've hired a progressive OC mind who would have used a West Coast style system that maximized Rosen's accuracy and quick decision making. If they keep Wilks I think Rosen is destined to fail. The Cardinals face a filled buyers market with far better situations for WR and OL FA's to sign with including Buffalo. They need to find an incredibly hot and progressive name to save this ship before the kid is killed.

10 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

What do go by name recognition only? Fitzgerald is a HOF receiver he’s also old as dirt for a football player. And again no back, not even david johnson can do **** with that line in front of him. Please man. And Kirk aint that good. He’s dropping balls like Zay.

Are you saying Larry Fitzgerald isn't better than the WR we have on our roster? Johnson can't do ***** behind the Cards OL? He has 843 yards rushing, 7 TD, 408 catches for another 2 TD. Chrisitan Kirk was the leading WR for the Cards before being injured and being lost for the season, saying he ain't that good as a rookie had 43 rec, 590 yards and 3 TD, Saying "He aint that good" seems like you do zero research.

19 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I am glad Allen looks good too, but given any time Allen has a game in which he struggles, we all rush to excuse it with things like “he’s a rookie” and “he has no help” and “the line sucks” don’t you find making a thread like this a little...inconsistent? Isn’t the other guy in a very similar situation? Their offensive line may be even worse than ours. Just asking. If you’re drunk and want to dab on all the imaginary Allen “haters” then go ahead.

That is because they are in very similar situations talent wise, and coincidently thrown out to the wolves without a veteran QB around (unless you consider Bradford a good veteran by any measure), so the comparison is fair, with a ¨so far¨ qualifier to it...

Edited by BuffaLoko

1 minute ago, WhyteDwarf said:

I wasn't happy with the draft, I wanted Darnold.  I was pissed when the Jets traded up past the Bills.

Rosen has always looked like a "point the finger at someone else" kinda guy.

If the Bills had Darnold rated higher than Allen, we'll never know.  It's pretty obvious the Bills had Allen rated no worse than #2 on their QB board.  From Beane's pre-draft talk, he was not interested in Mayfield due to his size & chose Allen over Rosen, so we know Rosen was behind Allen on the Bills board.

The Jets guaranteed themselves no worse than their 3rd rated QB, while the Bills could have been left hanging if the Giants had taken a QB at 2 instead of Barkley.  I thought the Jets outmaneuvered the Bills getting the jump on them by trading up to 3.  The problem the Bills had was that Indy wanted Nelson & didn't want to drop to 12, so the Jets at 6 had a huge edge in any trade talks.  

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If you watched the game today and didn't see a strong passing game from Allen, I just don't know what to say.  The completion percentage is meaningless without context. There were drops as usual, passes thrown away that should have been thrown away, and even the passes that were simply incomplete the majority of them were accurate passes that the DB simply made a play on. 

I remember thinking as I was watching the replay of the Foster touchdown that Allen looked great standing tall in the pocket, a pocket which actually held up for him and allowed him to step into his throw and not throw it on the run and off balance for a change.  If we can get an O-Line in front of him and give him a pocket to sit in he is going to tear this league up. 

This was by far Allen's best passing performance yet.  The completion percentage doesn't tell the story today.

This is absolutely the correct take-away from yesterday's game.  Those of us happy about Allen's passing performance are not looking at the stats but looking at the context in which Allen threw the ball.  Watching him stand tall in the pocket, scan the field and make mostly accurate throws downfield answered an important question about his development.  For me a couple of key questions were answered:

*  He can execute the short passing game.  He was 8/10 out of the gate.

*  He can stand in the pocket and when given time pick a defense apart.  He doesn't require "chaos" all around him to make a big throw downfield - he can calmly do it from the pocket in the old fashioned way. 

• Like (+1) 4