A Few Thoughts about the Lions Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Another meaningless December home game in Buffalo where most of us are in evaluation mode as we plan for the next season.  An injured Matt Stafford and much improved defense who's playing the math game every week to stay alive.  Let's see who shows up....

1 - Rushing Attack - I'm sure I'll get proven wrong here by google, but it feels like we try to run the ball more without McCoy.  With him and Ivory out, we seemed to trust these young guys to run more and it paid off on many plays.  I saw more broken tackles and players burst out the pile than I have most of the season.  The rushing game wasn't dominant or a huge factor, but it existed and contributed to 2nd and 4/6 quite a bit in the beginning.  My question is, why?  When we are down to our 3rd and 4th RB, why are we featuring our rushing game more than when our top two guys are healthy?  Is it a testament to the decline of Shady?  I'm not sure.  But I know that we saw better production today in bursts and it's something I hope to see them replicate.

2 - Decker - I don't call out a player on opposing teams very often and again, PFF or someone will probably prove me wrong with a grade, but this guy mauled us today.  There were a few plays where I thought he was holding Hughes (the norm), but overall I saw him putting guys on his back more than a few times.  They lined him up as eligible on a toss play and he took out 3 Bills by himself.  He also did a good job of misdirecting pass rushers to create rushing lanes to the inside.  Again, not normal for me to talk about the opposing team, let alone a LT, but credit where credit is due.

3 - Pass Rush - I understand that each team creates a game plan each week based upon the opponent.  But how we decided to stack the box and rush Stafford this week after not touching Darnold once last week is something I will never understand.  Now, credit to Stafford for getting rid of the ball multiple times while getting his and negating the pass rush.  Seriously, the guy deserves and Iron Man award for some of the plays he pulled off.  Our defense got there more often than not, but he beat them by a fraction of a second.  Either way, it was good to see the defense show those and create a couple of interception opportunities, I just don't know where it was last week.

4 - You'll see one day when you move out it just sort of happens one day and it's gone. You feel like you can never get it back. It's like you feel homesick for a place that doesn't even exist. Maybe it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't ever have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I don't know, but I miss the idea of it, you know. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people that miss the same imaginary place.

5 - Lions Defense against Allen - I was wondering how long it would take for opposing defenses to run some plays to negate Allen's rushing attack.  The answer came today as the Lions ran a few schemes.  For starters, the defensive line pinched the middle of the field when we ran the spread formation, not allowing Allen to break up the middle for a gain.  On most pass plays, the Lions kept a spy on Allen, usually LB Jarrad Davis who helped prevent Allen from taking off.  Credit to Allen for breaking the spy on his TD run, but he was overall forced to pass the ball, which he seemed fine doing as well.

6 - Daboll play calling - Like our pass rush this week vs last week, I found myself frustrated with our offensive play calling this week.  Not the plays we ran so much as when we ran them.  There a few plays on 3rd and 5+ where we were in the middle 20 yards of the field where we took deep shots.  I'm happy for the deep shots, but you're a first down or two from being in field goal range.  You have the soft zone catches that have worked the past few weeks, keep at them at that part of the field.  Keep the offense on the field.  And don't get me wrong, some of them were close to paying off.  I was very against Daboll getting hired and wanted him gone by week 8.  I've change my tune on that and think he's done a great job since then.  I haven't changed my mind on that.  But the rushing attack and play selection timing on deep shots was frustrating at times.  Also, maybe they were going to motion him back to block. But DiMarco was out wide a few times.  Kudos for the 4th and short to seal the game, although I'm sure McDermott gets some credit there.

7 - Tre White - When is  a player having a bad game and when is the opposing player just making a great play?  Regardless of where you stand on it, opposing teams have picked on Tre the past few weeks and gotten away with it.  Guys aren't wide open, but they are finding a way to make a play over him each week.  What stands out to me is that he's playing the receiver, not the ball.  I know that's what you are taught to do, but his head never seems to be turned back to see what he's playing for.  Today wasn't any different and he resorted to PI on some plays.  He's still a great defender and one of the best on our team, but it's strange to see this production against him.

8 - Foster - Do we have our #2 receiver yet?  100 yard receivers are rare for us and he's put back to back to back games together.  Not only that, but his ability to track the ball in the air, find the first down marker on 3rd against the zone, and pure speed with hands.  I don't care about his college stats or preseason anymore, the kid is getting it done.  He may not win any jump balls, but the kid has done more than enough for me the past few weeks and I'm good with him as a starter next season.

9 - Poyer - Talk about a guy who single-handedly shut down an opposing teams drive.  The Lions second to last drive was a highlight reel for Poyer as he blew up a run play in the backfield and then had a great open field tackle on 3rd down.  Guy is an unsung hero most weeks and finds ways to make plays.  He doesn't have the interceptions that got him attention like last year, but he still puts a solid effort out there each week and was a contributor today.  I could easily call out Lorax here as well, but Poyer gets the nod for that drive.

10 - Allen - I'm going to say that this might have been one of Allen's better games this season.  The rushing stats weren't there and he still made his weekly rookie mistake, but I liked how he adapted, his accuracy, and how overall he looked like a pocket quarterback this week.  For the ugly, he still struggles to throw the ball away when scrambling out of the pocket and almost threw two interceptions.  Someone needs to sit in a room and make him watch tape of those throws on repeat for a few days until he gets it.  In the first half, he took a sack that knocked them out of field goal range because he broke outside of the pocket vs stepping up into it.  It's worked in previous weeks, but not today.  

Now, for the positive.  I really think this was his most accurate week.  He had a few throws that required some extra effort by the receivers, but nothing that was un-catchable.  I think Thompson will tell you he should have got his deep ball as would a few other guys.  The Lions weren't going to let Allen break any big plays and it didn't really slow Allen down at all.  Like every other week, he didn't look frazzled and just went with it.  His deep ball to Foster was beautiful and he did what he needed to do to win the game.  His hard count to get an off-sides on the last drive was well played as well.   Overall, just a really good day for him.  

Bonus Thoughts

• Nice to have a game end in under 3 hours.  Penalties also down from previous weeks.  Coincidence?
  • Special Teams were a non-factor and the Lions missed a FG.  Even the announcers made a comment before getting cut off that the Bills had special teams play go in their favor for once.
  • For a meaningless game in December, props to the fans who did show up.  It sounded loud at times
  • Another week, another game where Clay does absolutely nothing.  Croom showed him up on that last catch too.
  • Screw the better draft pick, I want these guys to show what they can win and build the young guys up going into next season.

Go Bills!

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I'd still rather see the higher draft pick, if not to get one of the best players...but instead to have the option to trade down and maybe pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd. Those extra picks can go a long way to plugging the OL holes long term.

I agree the game/crown sounded loud. I ran to the store to pick up a few things and in the car on the radio, it sounded like a full house.

I'm good with Clay and McCoy not on this team next year.  I don't hate the guys, but the team is showing it isn't much worse without them.

Like reading these, Virgil.

I like Josh Allen. I think a team can win with a QB like him but will have to have a stout defense because his game just doesn’t translate into something where you will see an offense be consistent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

10 - Allen - For the ugly, he still struggles to throw the ball away when scrambling out of the pocket and almost threw two interceptions.  Someone needs to sit in a room and make him watch tape of those throws on repeat for a few days until he gets it.  

You would be wasting your time.  Josh Allen has a pass accuracy problem.  

:mellow:

6 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I like Josh Allen. I think a team can win with a QB like him but will have to have a stout defense because his game just doesn’t translate into something where you will see an offense be consistent.

Yup!

<_<

• Like (+1) 1

Good post, Virgil. Regarding Tre White, he does seem to be in a bit of a slump, but Detroit's receivers made some really great catches. I don't think Stafford's accuracy was better than Allen's today; the difference in completion percentages was largely on the receivers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If we put Croom in there for Clay Allen will be on a stretcher in the next game.  Croom is such a bad blocker that he would need to put up a stat line of 8 90 1  every game to offset how often Allen is mauled because of his poor blocking. I can easily say Robert Woods is a much better blocker than Croom.

All TE's and all WR's except Foster can easily be released after this season.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

In what way does Allen’s game not translate?  Too many first downs? Can make any throw? Is an elite threat to run? Can lead a bunch of B teamers to victory?

Edited by Max Fischer
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think Tre has played and last game played perfectly fine. Sure he could play the ball better on top of already being excellent in coverage but we're asking for Revis island at that point and he's not too far from that anyway.

Consider Gilmore getting beat and giving up open catches vs Tre whose opponents need to ask circus catches from their WRs to get them going. Tre never makes it easy on anyone and that's huge.

3 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

You would be wasting your time.  Josh Allen has a pass accuracy problem.  

:mellow:

Yeah, he should not be throwing balls away under pressure. Instead he should take sacks or try to force throws. He should also try catching his throws because his receivers have a problem with balls that hit their hands. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

100% disagree.  I expect big things from Allen when he has things next year that he doesn’t right now....

as in, you know...

-A running game

-An Offensive Line

-Wide Receivers 

Yet he’s still accounting for 200-300+ yards of total offense per game, along with 2-3 TD’s.   

This is all with 70-80 yards of drops per game. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

All TE's and all WR's except Foster can easily be released after this season.

I agree about keeping Foster and releasing most of the other WRs, but although Zay Jones has been inconsistent, he's demonstrated enough to get another year. It's too early to give up on him.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

100% disagree.  I expect big things from Allen when he has things next year that he doesn’t right now....

as in, you know...

-A running game

-An Offensive Line

-Wide Receivers 

Yet he’s still accounting for 200-300+ yards of total offense per game, along with 2-3 TD’s.   

This is all with 70-80 yards of drops per game. 

O-line looked it's best yet.  Allen had lots of time often.  

They have to draft a feature back this off season.  McCoy couldn't be more done...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I agree about keeping Foster and releasing most of the other WRs, but although Zay Jones has been inconsistent, he's demonstrated enough to get another year. It's too early to give up on him.

Jones’ inability to separate today was on display, and the Bills caught a break on that PI call against Slay (a good player). That looked like good D to me, and the one before it that wasn’t called would have been really marginal too. The reason these plays happen is because he really struggles to get open. He doesn’t look explosive enough out there.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Virgil, nice write up this week. The only thing I'd add is Zay Jones had once of his worst games. I can't remember a player that is so up one week and so down the next.

Zay is a slot receiver being lined up at #1.  He's just not going to be that guy and will be good when they can move him back after acquiring a #1 guy this offseason.  I don't call him out because I just don't have those types of expectations of him.  That's not a slight, just who I think he is.

• Like (+1) 4

....good show Virgil.............

1. Youngsters putting up 80+ on the ground with the SAME woeful OL certainly raises questions about Shady's "stall".

2. Pass Rush-just another woefully inconsistent game call by Frazier, McDermott or whoever is THE DC; mumblin', stumblin', bumblin' IMO.

3. Lions' Allen D-how long does Dabumble think he can get away with Josh as his feature back?

6. Daboll's play calling-meh

7. 'Tre- hit a much needed speed bump to bring him back into the fold IMO; damn good but a reality check is sometimes needed.

9. Foster-thank God this youngster heeded McDermott's wake up call: just continues to progress AND impress; could be special.

10. Allen-how the hell do you or why would you temper this jid's attitude and commitment to this team? Scares me with his reckless abandon.but that is HIM. Think Greenspan talked about "irrational exuberance"....this youngster is the poster boy for just that, all in the spirit of "his team". What else could you ask or hope for?.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....good show Virgil.............

1. Youngsters putting up 80+ on the ground wuth the SAME woeful OL certainly raises questions aboyt Shady's "stall".

2. Pass Rush-just another woefully inconsistent game call by Frazier, McDermott or whoever is THE DC; mumblin', stumblin', bumblin' IMO.

3. Lions' Allen D-how long does Dabumble think he can get away with Josh as his feature back?

6. Daboll's play calling-meh

7. 'Tre- hit a much needed speed bump to bring him back into the fold IMO; damn good but a reality check is sometimes needed.

9. Foster-thank God this youngster heeded McDermott's wake up call: just continues to progress AND impress; could be special.

10. Allen-how the hell do you or why would you temper this jid's attitude and commitment to this team? Scares me with his reckless abandon.but that is HIM. Think Greenspan talked about "irrational exuberance"....this youngster is the poster boy for just that, all in the spirit of "his team". What else could you ask or hope for?.........

Drinking or old man fingers hating these crazy kid's keyboards? ?

Edited by Virgil
  • Haha (+1) 1