Sal C, talking but saying nothing...

LabattBlue

30 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

I think Sal is good at what he does, but he is a homer. It's funny listening to him and Jeremy talk in the mornings because you know they're friends, but absolutely disagree about what is important in building a team.

Sal is like many of you, he thinks all wins matter, and would just generally feel good after a win. 

Jeremy on the other hand understands that there is no such thing as momentum carrying over from season to season and that good players make a team good, not clapping and prayers. 

Sal is a romantic, and perfect for a LARGE Majority of the Fan Base.

Jeremy is a realist and perfect for the folks that see Sports with a less Divinity approach.

and yes...momentum is nonsense.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

I think Sal is good at what he does, but he is a homer. It's funny listening to him and Jeremy talk in the mornings because you know they're friends, but absolutely disagree about what is important in building a team.

Sal is like many of you, he thinks all wins matter, and would just generally feel good after a win. 

Jeremy on the other hand understands that there is no such thing as momentum carrying over from season to season and that good players make a team good, not clapping and prayers. 

.......and Jeremy is wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

yes, bash your head against the wall while having a Jim Kelly avatar.

Those players on those teams basically hated each other. They were a tremendous team because they had several elite talents.

Would clapping and praying have won them the SB? 

Really? They hated each other so much, they stayed together for an unprecedented run of 4 straight AFC championships which not even the GOAT has ever replicated (not even 3 in a row actually), 6 AFC East titles and 8 playoff years during that run? They still hate each other so much, they constantly have to hang out with each other willingly at each others' charity functions, or you know, when one of them has cancer and they show up bedside at the hospital?  Are you really saying team chemistry doesn't matter, only individual talent, and that was the only thing that team had going for it? C'mon man, you're better than this.  Those Bills teams had plenty of all of it, talent, clapping, praying, you name it! Don't try to discount or lessen any of those factors, that's all I'm saying. 

23 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Couldn't agree with you more.

Joe Buscaglia is precisely the same, particularly when he was the WGR-550 Bills beat reporter before Sal.  

Sal is a huge fan of the team and is utterly incapable of putting his fandom to the side and objectively reporting on what's really happening within the team.  

His take/judgment of a given situation is almost always wrong too.

It's fun listening to Mike Schopp try to stifle himself and deal with Sal in a respectful manner when Sal says some of this stuff.

A good recent example was Sal's explanation/declaration that Shady will be back next year, he will be a big part of the team, and the Bills likely told him "We are going to get you help" as though the organization is concerned with treating Shady with respect b/c he is a talented player.

Schopp just responded by saying "OK!" with a disbelieving, condescending tone.

LOL.

Sal is good at talking and filling up otherwise dead air time, so I guess there's that.

That's because 90% of the people calling into WNY radio are complete knuckle draggers and mouth breathers. 

Good, intelligent, insightful, interesting calls are the lifeblood of these talk shows.

"complete knuckle draggers" .... yeah, that's the phrase that comes to mind reading your post.

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Really? They hated each other so much, they stayed together for an unprecedented run of 4 straight AFC championships which not even the GOAT has ever replicated (not even 3 in a row actually), 6 AFC East titles and 8 playoff years during that run? They still hate each other so much, they constantly have to hang out with each other willingly at each others' charity functions, or you know, when one of them has cancer and they show up bedside at the hospital?  Are you really saying team chemistry doesn't matter, only individual talent, and that was the only thing that team had going for it? C'mon man, you're better than this.  Those Bills teams had plenty of all of it, talent, clapping, praying, you name it! Don't try to discount or lessen any of those factors, that's all I'm saying. 

yes, because the run happened before/at the dawn of free agency, they had no choice

i guess you forgot about the Bickering Bills....

they grew to love each other and are extremely close now, but if you're remembering it being like that at the beginning, you are dead wrong. 

Edited by Clemfield2622

On 12/16/2018 at 10:33 AM, SDS said:

The radio crossover into “print” is ill-conceived. Even if you are knowledgeable on a topic, doesn’t mean you can put that knowledge into written words. 

Still, based on what interests me and if I'm forced to choose, I'd prefer a good analyst over a good writer.  

7 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

yes, because the run happened before/at the dawn of free agency, they had no choice

i guess you forgot about the Bickering Bills....

they grew to love each other and are extremely close now, but if you're remembering it being like that at the beginning, you are dead wrong. 

I absolutely have not forgotten about that tired bickering bills narrative, but it was overblown and ended up being a complete non-issue, per the actual players themselves. I would also note that other than a tough 1989 year where the ups and downs of that season led to some back and forth between some of the players, they put all of that well behind them to jump start the run that they ended up having. Certainly did not end up defining the team. 

On 12/16/2018 at 11:55 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...WHOA!....are you impugning Chris Brown's objectivity??...........

No one impugns the sleepy lemur on my watch, Brown does it all by himself! We could lose in the Super Bowl and his question would be "Can you tell us how it's actually better for the long-term success of this franchise to not have too much success too early and how losing the Super Bowl will set us up for bigger and better things"

1 hour ago, Clemfield2622 said:

You could not be more wrong if you tried. Winning and competing are habits. If you phone it in and lose for draft picks, you are not a winner in general. People in competitive situations need to be 100% competitive all the time. Show me someone who loses willingly and I'll show you someone who isn't successful at the highest levels.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SDS said:

This is not hard. 

Football is a game. Entertainment. It means NOTHING. It’s as significant as a fart in a hurricane. As such, your objective thinking means even less than nothing. The world doesn’t change one iota if you correctly identify tactical errors made by the team or if you can prove player A on another is better than player B on your team. 

It is all meaningless.

So, I can pretend all day long whatever I chose to believe about the Bills, the Sabres, or any other kind of entertainment. Objectivity for the fan is worthless. 

Keep your politics real and your entertainment fun. The former has consequences for others. The latter? Who the ***** cares. 

Darn if you don't make sense.

2 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

He is not interesting at all. What comes out of his mouth is the same crap you hear on national sports shows, same old boring ***** tbh.

That's the description of sports talk shows isn't it?

• Like (+1) 1

It's interesting. 

Sully and Sal Maiorana are bitter hacks, constantly negative, why don't they support the Bills more?

Sal Capaccio seems almost afraid of saying anything critical.  Why doesn't he criticize the Bills more?

Make up your ***** mind, TBD.  I like Sal Capaccio because his criticisms are so analytical that they don't come off as criticism.  Sully's comments, OTOH, always have that snarky attitude, like he's smarter than you.  Sal C. says clearly on Football Monday, "This is your show".  He forces the callers to defend their position and come up with cogent points to back their argument.  But he lets everyone have their say, unlike Dopp and the Bull *****.  

As far as a sideline reporter, Sal and WGR are way ahead of the CBS or Fox teams when it comes to Bills injuries, so I turn down the TV and listen to Murph and Kelso.

• Like (+1) 1