Sal C, talking but saying nothing...

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, SDS said:

The radio crossover into “print” is ill-conceived. Even if you are knowledgeable on a topic, doesn’t mean you can put that knowledge into written words. 

It’s terrible isn’t it? 

To think most most of them majored in journalism.

Chris Parker’s the worse.

Don’t get me started on Paul Hamilton as well.

On the topic of Sal. He’s very fortunate to have the job he does, in the sense of its what he dreamed of doing.

He has Members from another board to thank, who used to push his basement pod casts and complain of there no being “one of them” on the radio.

Sal started out fine but has become arrogant. Though, he remains the most enjoyable to listen to. 

Thats really not saying much.

On a final note, most of those guys do not make much monetarily, until they hit the big time if ever.

Edited by dlonce

Sometimes I wonder if Sal drinks a pot of coffee before he goes on air.  He's practically a mile a minute.  Yet compare the over-caffeinated one with Paul Hamiltion, beat writer for the Sabres.  I don't think Hamilton is too harsh or too easy within his coverage of the Sabres.  

Fans just don't want to hear negative, as evidenced by this board and people like Cappuccino know this.  He'd prefer to run down the middle and wave the pom-poms as much as he can because everyone knows the Pegula's don't like negative attention.  

Please. All you positive Bills fans who've been around for a few decades give us your basis for your positive anti-negative viewpoints. As a veteran I have the same questions about blind patriotism and flag wavers saying love it or leave. Objective thinking is negative in this world.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

He talks a lot but doesn’t seem to say much.  Also, very hesitant to criticize the Bills.  Always seems to be working an angle towards a full time position with the team.  

Seems like a nice guy who works hard...but somehow opens his mouth and....endless babble. 

I don’t blame guys for not saying negative things about the Bills. The fan base doesn’t like it and run guys out of town who do it. If your report on the Bills and like job security make sure to say good things about a bad team.

We live in a society where people can’t stand hearing negative thoughts/facts about things they like. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

Please. All you positive Bills fans who've been around for a few decades give us your basis for your positive anti-negative viewpoints. As a veteran I have the same questions about blind patriotism and flag wavers saying love it or leave. Objective thinking is negative in this world.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

The way society has evolved, people retreat to their echo chambers to reinforce what they already believe or want to believe.

The train has left the station on objectivity.

• Like (+1) 2

He talks a lot but doesn’t seem to say much.  Also, very hesitant to criticize the Bills.  Always seems to be working an angle towards a full time position with the team.  

Seems like a nice guy who works hard...but somehow opens his mouth and....endless babble. 

Couldn't agree with you more.

Joe Buscaglia is precisely the same, particularly when he was the WGR-550 Bills beat reporter before Sal.  

Sal is a huge fan of the team and is utterly incapable of putting his fandom to the side and objectively reporting on what's really happening within the team.  

His take/judgment of a given situation is almost always wrong too.

It's fun listening to Mike Schopp try to stifle himself and deal with Sal in a respectful manner when Sal says some of this stuff.

A good recent example was Sal's explanation/declaration that Shady will be back next year, he will be a big part of the team, and the Bills likely told him "We are going to get you help" as though the organization is concerned with treating Shady with respect b/c he is a talented player.

Schopp just responded by saying "OK!" with a disbelieving, condescending tone.

LOL.

Sal is good at talking and filling up otherwise dead air time, so I guess there's that.

The two things don’t go hand in hand.  I’ve aways said the less callers WGR takes, the better the shows would be. 

That's because 90% of the people calling into WNY radio are complete knuckle draggers and mouth breathers. 

Good, intelligent, insightful, interesting calls are the lifeblood of these talk shows.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Radar said:

This is not hard. 

Football is a game. Entertainment. It means NOTHING. It’s as significant as a fart in a hurricane. As such, your objective thinking means even less than nothing. The world doesn’t change one iota if you correctly identify tactical errors made by the team or if you can prove player A on another is better than player B on your team. 

It is all meaningless.

So, I can pretend all day long whatever I chose to believe about the Bills, the Sabres, or any other kind of entertainment. Objectivity for the fan is worthless. 

Keep your politics real and your entertainment fun. The former has consequences for others. The latter? Who the ***** cares. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

no way , Sal is the best, hopefully he replaces Schlope

• Like (+1) 1

I listened to a bunch of the post game, and Bulldog was alone and he kept getting calls about how those two are just always so anti-Allen and how does he like it having to talk about him having a good game, etc................And, he was getting so mad.  Saying he does say positive things about Allen.  Don't you people know the difference between the two hosts??................Well, the problem is you let Schopp make it 95% about him without putting up much of a fight, so people DO equate you as having the same opinion!

16 minutes ago, bbb said:

I listened to a bunch of the post game, and Bulldog was alone and he kept getting calls about how those two are just always so anti-Allen and how does he like it having to talk about him having a good game, etc................And, he was getting so mad.  Saying he does say positive things about Allen.  Don't you people know the difference between the two hosts??................Well, the problem is you let Schopp make it 95% about him without putting up much of a fight, so people DO equate you as having the same opinion!

Also if they're fans that listen after the game there is a distinct chance they're drunk.

• Haha (+1) 1

Coach Sal is a grinder who is all about the process. You won’t find a better chit chatter than Sal. Even Momma Pecoraro would agree. I would have loved for a Momma Pecoraro - Coach Sal Capaccio pregame skit if Momma had lived. Bless her heart & Go Bills! 

On 12/16/2018 at 10:04 AM, JM57 said:

I'd rather hear a professional "talk but say nothing" than listen to a single caller "umm uhh well yeah I uhh umm" through an incredibly stupid idea. So there's that

Glad I’m not the only one. I try to listen to one bills live via podcast on my way home from work most days. I literally fast forward through almost every single caller. Brutal.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:10 AM, Scott7975 said:

Lol WGR... I was on my way home from work one day and had a few stops on the way.  Every commercial break that day they said something like … all Bills all day.  I think it was a Friday.  That particular day its suppose to be all Bills talk.  The entire 45 minutes that wasn't on commercial break, all the guys were talking hockey.

Not complaining, but this morning was the same thing--on my 30 minutes in the car ride in, it was 5 minutes of Bills with Murph, and the rest was all hockey. Hey, great for the Sabs having a kicka** year for a change!  I want to hear about the Bills on a Monday after a game like this...but I get it, it's a lot of airtime to fill talking about only 2 pro teams all the time basically, with a little UB/'Cuse sauce thrown in to keep it balanced ;)

• Like (+1) 1