What is a “true #1 WR?”

I was listening to the Tim Graham Show from last week and everyone debated exactly what a “true #1” receiver meant.  Tim was saying that a #1 is a taller WR that you can continually throw the ball to, that can change games etc.  I’m thinking he meant guys like Julio Jones or D’Andre Hopkins.  

He believes that many teams don’t have a #1 WR.   He thinks that most teams get by with 2 good #2 WR’s.

He said that Davante Adams, and Adam Thelin are not a #1 WR and neither was Wes Welker when he played in NE or any slot WR’s. While those players led the league in targets and/or receptions they weren’t a “#1 WR.”  They actually brought James Lofton on the show and he disagreed.  I guess if Thelin makes 103 catches and Michael Thomas (Who TG said is a #1) has 102, how is Thelin not a #1 whereas Thomas is?

The whole conversation started when people referred to Zay Jones as the Bills “#1 WR.”  He said he is not a #1 and that is ceiling is probably a #2.  

So how do you define who a “#1 WR” really is and what’s the difference between a #1 WR, #2 WR and even a #3 WR?

I would say it’s the best WR you have. The WR that the other teams defense will try and focus on. The WR that will most likely lead your team in targets and most of the important stats. The go to guy. A WR that you are game planning to get involved. If you need a play through the air, the guy you are looking for. Progression 1 on most non-gimmick  passing plays.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I would say it’s the best WR you have. The WR that the other teams defense will try and focus on. The WR that will most likely lead your team in targets and most of the important stats. The go to guy. A WR that you are game planning to get involved. If you need a play through the air, the guy you are looking for. Progression 1 on most non-gimmick  passing plays.

So is an Adam Thelin or Wes Welker at #1 WR?

My definition is a WR who can run almost all the route tree's, is open even when he isn't and can make the clutch catches when you need them most. We don't have one, there doesn't appear to be one in FA and I'm not sure the draft has one either according to many of the "experts" there isn't a larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson. 

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

A true number 1 WR can make a play even if the defense suspects the ball will go to said player.

This.  A #1 WR is the guy the other team tries to cover like a blanket, and he somehow still hauls in the ball.  He is clutch.  When you need a catch, he's your guy.

I don't understand the criterion if Theilen isn't a #1.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

A true number 1 WR can make a play even if the defense suspects the ball will go to said player.

Basically.

If you have 1 play to win the game, an average qb and a wr facing a good corner- who are you throwing to? 

Julio, brown, aj green, Odell

not zay.

Likely not even welker without brady. Moss? Yes.

It’s kind of the same debate as franchise QBs. There are about 10-15 QBs that are legit “the guy.” A few debatable and then a lot of interchangeable guys from 25-70

Andre Reed & Eric Moulds. A number one is a dominant player who the qb trusts to make a play. Size is a plus but not required. Their productivity makes success for the QB and team. They come through in clutch situations, even when the pass is not perfect. I thought Sammy would be that player, but that was a fail. Bills have not had one since Moulds. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yeah. Of course. I don’t know why people act like a slot WR can’t be the #1 option. Reed was. Some offenses are just built that way.

I believe that many are getting at “the guy that can transcend scheme or situation” not the guy that happens to be the #1 option on a random depth chart at some point 

• Like (+1) 1

A true #1 can always run the full route tree, can catch contested 50/50 balls, has enough athleticism to get consistent separation,  can get off press coverage, has good ability to track the ball in the air and solid hands.

most of the time, yes, you do want a talller guy because it helps in 50/50 jump balls but it’s not necessarily needed. 6’1 is the threshold for me.

This is an overrated concept. We've had a true number one many times in the past, and it got us nowhere. I believe you need pieces on offense that are complementary to each other. We need a guy with some size and elite athleticism who can do a little bit of everything and make contested catches. That's what our team is missing. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I'd say Thielen is arguably a true #1 on most teams, but Diggs beats him out not necessarily on talent, but on being harder to game plan against. Not that Thielin isn't hard. But Diggs is tough and I don't think hands are brought up as an issue when you talk #1 caliber. Yet Theilin probably has the best in the league.